Engineering at Illinois is a leader not only in research and education, but also in diversity. One part of Illinois' commitment to diversity is its MERGE event.
Join us for an all expenses paid, two-day visit to learn more about Illinois' top-ranked engineering graduate programs. The Multicultural Engineering Recruitment for Graduate Education (MERGE) is a diversity recruitment initiative designed to give talented underrepresented students from across the nation an opportunity to visit our campus early in the application process in order to learn about the opportunities at Illinois.
Why attend MERGE?
- Learn about research opportunities at Illinois
- Meet with current graduate students
- Learn how to prepare a strong application for Illinois' engineering graduate programs
- Explore the University of Illinois campus and Champaign-Urbana
The MERGE event will be held on the Urbana-Champaign campus October 5-7, 2017. Travel dates will be October 5 and 7.
Candidate must be:
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Currently enrolled or recently completed an accredited curriculum in engineering or physics
- Preference will be given to individuals who are African American, Hispanic/Latino, Native American, women, or persons with disabilities.
- Preference will be given to individuals who will be graduating in the coming year, with a GPA of 3.2 or higher (on a 4.0 point scale), and individuals whose cultural background will increase the diversity of the graduate student body.
To receive full consideration, we advise that all application materials should be submitted as soon as possible. The following items must be provided within your application:
- An unofficial transcript.
- A statement of no more than two pages addressing your plans for graduate study, including research interests, career goals, relevant coursework completed, and other educational experiences.
- A detailed resume that outlines research experiences, internships, publications, and leadership experiences.
Applications for MERGE may be submitted beginning on Feb. 1, 2017.
August 15, 2017
If applying after August 15, inquire first by email (email@example.com) to find out if space is available.
Questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the MERGE office at (217) 265-4560.