As an Engineering at Illinois graduate student, there are ample resources for finding funding.
You will be supported by departmental fellowships, teaching assistantships, and research assistantships. Some research assistantships are also offered by our many research laboratories such as the Coordinated Science Laboratory, Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory, Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory, and National Center for Supercomputing Applications.
Research Park Opportunities
Several companies in the award-winning Research Park at the University of Illinois offer graduate research assistantships or opportunities to collaborate on research. Home to more than 200 that range from new ventures to Fortune 500 and 100 companies, Research Park brings corporations closer to university research, encourages collaborations, and drives economic development.
Fellowships & Awards
As you’re applying to your graduate program, we also encourage you to apply for fellowship opportunities. Historically, exceptional University of Illinois engineering students with a GPA of B+ or higher do very well in these competitions.
Fellowships provide a means of funding graduate study. Applications are due as early as November for some fellowship programs, and some require that the student's undergraduate degree be in the same field as the graduate program.
You're encouraged to investigate the basis of admission into the program and school early. For example, review the requirements for fellowships or assistantships versus admission. Be certain whether the program admits primarily doctoral aspirants or prefers master's candidates. At Illinois, fellowships and research assistantships are awarded primarily to those seeking doctoral degrees.
Support for Under-Represented Groups in Engineering (SURGE) Fellowship Program
SURGE fellowships and assistantships support individuals from underrepresented groups in engineering doctoral programs.
External Fellowship Opportunities
- AAUW (American Association of University Women)
- Computational Science and Engineering Fellows
- Department of Defense
- Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (DAAD); DAAD at UIUC
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Fellowships for Graduate Environmental Study
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral and Dissertation Fellowships for Minorities
- Hertz Foundation
- NASA Graduate Student Researchers Program
- National Physical Science Consortium Graduate Fellowships for Minorities and Women in the Physical Sciences
- National Science Foundation
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC) Fellowships