Armand Joseph Beaudoin, Jr
- College of Engineering Willett Faculty Scholar
Primary Research Area
- Solid Mechanics & Materials
- Ph.D. ME Cornell University 1993
- M.S. ME Cornell University 1992
- M.M.S (Mat. Sci.) University of Virginia 1986
- B.S. Math. Virginia Commonwealth University 1981
- Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2005-date
- Willett Faculty Scholar, College of Engineering, UIUC, 2002-2009
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, UIUC, Aug. 21, 1997-2005
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, Aug. 1990-Jan. 1993
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Music, Virginia Commonwealth University, Sept. 1987-May 1988
Other Professional Employment
- Supervisor, Reynolds Metals Company, Richmond, Virginia, Jan. 1993-July 1997
- Mechanical Engineer, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia, Jan. 1988-July 1990
- Engineer, Reynolds Metals Company, Richmond, Virginia, May 1977-Jan. 1988
Major Consulting Activities
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico, June 1993-2002
Using computation and applied mathematics, Professor Beaudoin develops and applies multiscale models to study the plastic deformation of polycrystalline metals and geologic materials and to develop models for a variety of systems, including those in biomechanics.
Years ago, he used a multiscale approach that included a finite element framework for polycrystal plasticity to model jerky flow, also known as the Portevin-Le Chatelier effect. He has since applied comprehensive models for metal deformation that consider both kinetics and size effects to the study of polycrystalline metals (such as silver, aluminum alloys and steel) and copper-niobium nanoscale multilayers. This line of research has direct application to lightweighting automobiles and aerospace vehicles. More recently, he has extended the application of these models to crystallographic slip in ice. Working with researchers in France, he helped determine the effects of size on the dynamics of dislocations in ice single crystals.
He has also used his computational methods to study the effects of deformation twinning on energy dissipation in high-rate deformed zirconium, the biomechanics of aggressive inline skating and dislocation nucleation, waves and partial continuity of the plastic strain rate.
- Simulation and biomechanics
- Process modeling
- Metal plasticity
- Solid Mechanics & Materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- Beaudoin, A.J., M. Obstalecki, R. Storer, W. Tayon, J. Mach, P. Kenesei, and U. Lienert, "Validation of a Crystal Plasticity Model Using High Energy Diffraction Microscopy," Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering," 20:2, 024006, March 1, 2012.
- Padilla, H., J. Lambros, A.J. Beaudoin, and I.M. Robertson, "Relating Inhomogeneous Deformation to Local Texture in Zirconium Through Grain-Scale Digital Image Correlation Strain Mapping Experiments," International Journal of Solids and Structures, 49:1, 18-31, January 2012.
- Mudrock, R.N., M.A. Lebyodkin, P. Kurath, A.J. Beaudoin, and T. A. Lebedkina, "Strain-Rate Fluctuations During Macroscopically-Uniform Deformation of a Solution-Strengthened Alloy," Scripta Materialia, 65:12, 1093-6, December 2011.
- Padilla, H., J. Lambros, A. Beaudoin and I. Robertson, "Spatiotemporal Thermal Inhomogeneities During Compression of Highly Texture Zirconium," Experimental Mechanics, 51, p 1061-1073, 2011.
- McDonald, R. J. and A. J. Beaudoin, "Utilizing the Meso-Scale Grain Boundary Stress to Estimate the Onset of Delamination in 2099-T8 Aluminum-Lithium," Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 18, p. 065007 (19 pp.), 2010.
- Kweon, S., A. J. Beaudoin and R. J. McDonald, "Experimental Characterization of Damage Processes in Aluminum AA2024-O," ASM Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 132, p 031008 (9 pp.), 2010.
- Mach, J., A. J. Beaudoin, and A. Acharya, "Continuity in the Plastic Strain Rate and Its Influence on Texture Evolution," Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 58, p. 105-128, 2010.
- Kalyanam, S., A. J. Beaudoin, R. H. Dodds Jr., and F. Barlat, "Delamination Cracking in Advanced Aluminum-Lithium Alloys - Experimental and Computational Studies," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 76, p 2174-2191, 2009.
- Varadhan, S., A. J. Beaudoin, and C. Fressengeas, "Lattice Incompatibility and Strain-Aging in Single Crystals, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 57, 1733-1748, 2009.
- Kweon, A., A. J. Beaudoin, P. Kurath and M. Li, Development of Localized Deformation in AA 2024-O, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 131, p 031009 (8 pp.), 2009.
- Fressengeas, C., A. J. Beaudoin, Entemeyer, D.., Lebedkina, T., Lebyodkin and V. Taupin, Dislocation Transport and Intermittency in the Plasticity of Crystalline Solids, Physical Review B 79, 014108, 2009.
- Al-Fadhalah, K. J. H., C.-M. Li, A. J. Beaudoin, D. A. Korzekwa and I. M. Robertson, Microplastic Processes Developed in Pure Ag with Mesoscale Annealing Twins, Acta Materialia, 5764-5774, 2008.
- Taupin, V., S. Varadhan, C. Fressengeas, and A. J. Beaudoin, Directionality of Yield Point in Strain-Aged Steels: The Role of Polar Dislocations, Acta Materialia, 3002-3010, 2008.
- Acharya, A., A. J. Beaudoin, and R. Miller, New Perspectives in Plasticity Theory: Dislocation Nucleation, Waves and Partial Continuity of the Plastic Strain Rate, Mathematics and Mechanics of Solids, 13, 292-315, 2008.
- Tonks, M. R., A. J. Beaudoin, F. Schilder, and D. A. Tortorelli, Investigation of the Stochastic Taylor Model in Planar Simulations, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 75, 051001-1-10, 2008.
- Padilla, H.A., C.D. Smith, J. Lambros, A.J. Beaudoin, A.M. Robertson, Effects of Deformation Twinning on Energy Dissipation in High Rate Deformed Zirconium, Metallugical and Materials Transactions A, 38A, 2916-2927, 2007.
- Taupin, V., S. Varadhan, C. Fressengeas, A.J. Beaudoin, M. Montagnat and P. Duval, Effects of size on the dynamics of dislocations in Ice Single Crystals, Physical Review Letters, 99, 155507, 2007.
- Major, M.J., A. Beaudoin, P. Kurath, and E.T. Hsiao-Wecksler, Biomechanics of Aggressive Inline Skating: Landing and Balancing on a Grind Rail. Journal of Sports Sciences, 25, 1411-1422, 2007.
- Varadhan, S., A. J. Beaudoin, A. Acharya, and C. Fressengeas, Dislocation Transport using and Explicit/Galerkin Least-Squares Formulation, Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 14, 1245-1270, 2006.
- Kang, J., D. S. Wilkinson, M. Jain, J. D. Embury, A. J. Beaudoin, S. Kim, R. Mishira and A.K. Sachdev, On the Sequence of Inhomogeneous Deformation Processes Occurring During Tensile Deformation of Strip, Acta Materialia, 54, 209-218, 2006.
- Kang, J., D. S. Wilkinson, J. D. Embury, M. Jain, and A. J. Beaudoin, Effect of Type-B Portevin-LeChatelier Bands on the Onset of Necking in Unixial Tension of Strip Cast AA 5754 Sheets, Scripta Materialia, 53, 499-503, 2005.
- Robertson, I. M., A. Beaudoin, K. Al-Fadhalah, C.-M. Li, J. Robach, B. D. Wirth, A. Arsenlis, D. Ahn, and P. Sofronis, Dislocation-Obstacle Interactions: Dynamic Experiments to Continuum Modeling, Materials Science and Engineering A, 400-401, 245-250, 2005.
- Fressengeas, C., A. J. Beaudoin, M. Lebyodkin, L. P. Kubin, and Y. Estrin, Dynamic Strain Aging: A Coupled Dislocation-Solute Dynamic Model, Materials Science and Engineering A, 400-401, 226-230, 2005.
- Al-Fadhalah, K., C. N. TomA. J. Beaudoin, I.M. Robertson J. P. Hirth, and A. Misra, Modeling Texture Evolution During Rolling of Cu-Nb Multilayered System, Philosophical Magazine, 85, 1419-1440, 2005.
- Harnish, S. F., H. A. Padilla, B. E. Gore, J. A. Dantzig, A. J. Beaudoin, I. M. Robertson, and H. Weiland, High Temperature Behavior and Hot Rolling of AA705X, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 36A, 357-369, 2005.
- Zhu, L., A. J. Beaudoin, and S. R. MacEwen, An Assessment of In-Service Relaxation of a Work-Hardened Aluminum Magnesium Alloy, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 126, 157-163, 2004.
- Kok, S. M.S. Bharathi, A.J. Beaudoin, C. Fressegeas, G. Ananthakrishna, L.P. Kubin and M. Lebyodkin, Spatial Coupling in Jerky Flow using Polycrystal Plasticity, Acta Materialia, 51, 3651-3662, 2003.
- Chuzhoy, L., R. E. DeVor, S. G. Kapoor, A. J. Beaudoin, and D. J. Bammann, Machining Simulation of Ductile Iron and Its Constituents. Part I: Estimation of Material Model Parameters and Their Validation, ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 125, 181-191, 2003.
- Kok, S., A. J. Beaudoin, D. A. Tortorelli , and M. Lebyodkin, A Finite Element Model for the PortevinLe Chatelier Effect Based on Polycrystal Plasticity, Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., 10, 745-763, 2002.
- Acharya, A., J. L. Bassani, and A. J. Beaudoin, Geometrically-Necessary Dislocations, Hardening, and a Simple Gradient Theory of Crystal Plasticity, Scripta Materialia 48, 167-172, 2002.
- Kok, S., A. J. Beaudoin, and D. A. Tortorelli, A Polycrystal Plasticity Model Based on the Mechanical Threshold, International Journal of Plasticity, 18, 715-741, 2002.
- Kok, S., A. J. Beaudoin, and D. A. Tortorelli, On the Development of Stage IV Hardening Using a Model Based on the Mechanical Threshold, Acta Materialia, 50, 1653-1657, 2002.
- Beaudoin, A. J., R. Srinivasan, and S. L. Semiatin, Microstructure Modeling and Prediction During Thermomechanical Processing, Journal of Materials, 54, 25-29, 2002.
- Kok, S., A. J. Beaudoin, and D. A. Tortorelli, Numerical Integration of Lattice Rotation in Polycrystal Plasticity, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 52, 1487-1500, 2001.
- Beaudoin, A. J. and A. Acharya, A Model for the Rate-Dependent Flow of Metal Polycrystals Based on the Slip Plane Lattice Incompatibility, Materials Science and Engineering A, 309-310, 411-415, 2001.
- Beaudoin, A. J., A. Acharya, S. R. Chen, D. A. Korzekwa, and M. G. Stout, Consideration of Grain-size Effect and Kinetics in the Plastic Deformation of Metal Polycrystals, Acta Materialia, 48, 3409-3423, 2000.
- Acharya, A. and A. J. Beaudoin, Grain-size Effect in Viscoplastic Polycrystals at Moderate Strains, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 48, 2213-2230, 2000.
- Karaman, I., H. Sehitoglu, A. J. Beaudoin, C. Tome, Y. Chumlyakov, and H. J. Maier, Deformation of Single Crystal Hadfield Steel by Twinning and Slip, Acta Materialia, 48, 2031-2047, 2000.
- Bange, M. E., A. J. Beaudoin, M. Stout, S. R. Chen, and S. R. MacEwen, Predictive Modeling of the Nonuniform Deformation of the Aluminum Alloy 5182, Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 122:2, 149-156, 2000.
- Beaudoin, A. J., J. D. Bryant, and D. A. Korzekwa, Analysis of Ridging in Aluminum Auto Body Sheet Metal, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 29A, 2323-2332, 1998.
- Haga, J. H., A. J. Beaudoin, J. G. White, and J. Strony, Quantification of the Passive Mechanical Properties of the Resting Platelet, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 26, 268-277, 1998.
- Dawson, P. R. and A. J. Beaudoin, "Incorporating Crystallographic Texture in Deformation Process Simulations," Journal of Materials, 49:9, 34-41, 1997.
- Beaudoin, A. J., H. Mecking, and U. F. Kocks, Development of Localized Orientation Gradients in FCC Polycrystals, Philosophical Magazine A, 73:6, 1503-1517, 1996.
- Ren, B., J. G. Morris, and A. J. Beaudoin, The Influence of the Crystallographic Texture on the Biaxial Stretchability of AA 5182 Sheet, Journal of Materials, 48, 22-25, 1996.
- Beaudoin, A. J., T. Koya, P. E. Smith, and J. W. Wiese, Experiences in the Use of an Evolutionary Damage Model with LS-DYNA3D, SAE Transactions, Warrendale, PA, Vol. 104, Sect. 5, 838-844, 1995.
- Beaudoin, A. J., P. R. Dawson, K. K. Mathur, and U. F. Kocks, A Hybrid Finite Element Formulation for Polycrystal Plasticity with Consideration of Macrostructural and Microstructural Linking, International Journal of Plasticity, 11:5, 501-521, 1995.
- Dawson, P. R., D. E. Boyce, G. M. Eggert, and A. J. Beaudoin, A Consistent Penalty Method for Contact Between a Deforming Viscoplastic Workpiece and a Rigid Tool, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 38, 3969-3987, 1995.
- Beaudoin, A. J., P. R. Dawson, and S. Mukherjee, A BEM/FEM Framework for Simulation of a Plastic Workpiece Deformed by an Elastic Tool, ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry, 117, 372-377, 1995.
- Bryant, J. D., A. J. Beaudoin, and R. T. VanDyke, The Effect of Crystallographic Texture on the Formability of AA 2036 Autobody Sheet, SAE Transactions, Warrendale, PA, Vol. 103, Sect. 5, 49-57, 1994.
- Dawson, P. R., A. J. Beaudoin, K. K. Mathur, and G. B. Sarma, Finite Element Modeling of Polycristalline Solids, Revue europeenne des elements finis, 3, 543-571, 1994.
- Beaudoin, A. J., P. R. Dawson, K. K. Mathur, U. F. Kocks, and D. A. Korzekwa, Application of Polycrystal Plasticity to Sheet Forming, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 117, 49-70, 1994.
- Strony, J., A. J. Beaudoin, D. Brands, and B. Adelman, Analysis of Shear Stress and Hemodynamic Factors in a Model of Coronary Artery Stenosis and Thrombosis, American Journal of Physiology, 265-5, pt. 2, H1787-H1796, 1993.
- Ramser, J. R., W. M. Mihalko, J. B. Carr, A. J. Beaudoin, and W. R. Krause, A Comparison of Femoral Neck Fixation with the Reconstruction Nail Versus Cancellous Screws in Anatomic Specimens, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 290, 189-196, 1993.
- Burns, W. C., K. Prakash, R. S. Adelaar, A. J. Beaudoin, and W. R. Krause, Tibiotalar Joint Dynamics: Indications for the Syndesmotic Screw-A Cadaver Study, Foot and Ankle, 14:3, 153-158, 1993.
- Beaudoin, A. J., K. K. Mathur, P. R. Dawson, and G. C. Johnson, Three-Dimensional Deformation Process Simulation with Explicit Use of Polycrystal Plasticity Models, International Journal of Plasticity, 9, 833-860, 1993.
- Mihalko, W. M., A. J. Beaudoin, W. R. Krause, and J. A. Cardea, Finite-Element Modelling of Femoral Shaft Fracture Fixation Techniques Post Total Hip Arthroplasty, Journal of Biomechanics, 25:5, 469-476, 1992.
- Beaudoin, A. J., S. M. Fiore, W. R. Krause, and R. S. Adelaar, Effect of Isolated Talocalcaneal Fusion on Contact in the Ankle and Talonavicular Joints, Foot and Ankle, 12, 19-25, 1991.
- Beaudoin, A. J., W. M. Mihalko, and W. R. Krause, Finite Element Modelling of Polymethylmethacrylate Flow Through Cancellous Bone, Journal of Biomechanics, 24, 127-136, 1991.
- May, T. C., W. R. Krause, A. J. Presslar, M. J. V. Smith, A. J. Beaudoin, and J. A. Cardea, Use of High Energy Shock Waves for Bone Cement Removal, Journal of Arthroplasty, 5, 19-27, 1990.
- Mihalko, W. M., A. J. Beaudoin, and W. R. Krause, Mechanical Properties and Material Characteristics of Orthopedic Casting Material, Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma, 3, 57-63, 1989.
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science in Engineering, 2008-2010
- Member, Executive Editorial Board,
- Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science in Engineering, 2004-2008
- Member, Editorial Board,
- Fellow, Institute of Physics, 2004-date
- Member, The Materials Research Society, 1999-date
- Member, Society of Automotive Engineers
- Chair, The Shaping and Forming Committee, 2000-2001
- Member, The Materials Society (TMS)
- Member, ASME
- 2009 BP Award for Innovation in Undergraduate Instruction
- 2009 Engineering Council Outstanding Advisors
- 2002 College of Engineering Advisors List
- Listed in the Daily Illini Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students for Fall 2000 (ME 497, ME 199), Fall 2001 (ME 272), Spring 2002 (ME 272), Spring 2006 (ME371, ME 497), Spring 2008 (ME 370), Fall 2008 (ME 598)
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research, UIUC, 2003
- Willett Faculty Scholar Award, College of Engineering, UIUC, 2002-2009
- Invited Participant, First Japan-America Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, sponsored by the National Academy of Engineering and the Engineering Academy of Japan, Nara, Japan, Nov. 2000
- NSF Faculty Early Development (CAREER) Award, 1999
- Invited Speaker, Fourth Annual Symposium on Frontiers of Engineering, sponsored by the National Academy of Engineering, 1998
- Dow Corning Wright Award, Foot and Ankle Society Summer Meeting, for the paper Tibiotalar Joint Dynamics: Indications for the Syndesmotic Screw, by W. C. Burns III, R. Adelaar, A. J. Beaudoin, K. Prakash and W. Krause, 1991
- Member, Sigma Xi, 1986
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Mathematical Sciences Outstanding Student, 1980