Imad L Al-Qadi
Director, Illinois Center for Transportation
Director, Advanced Transportation Research and Engineering Laboratory
- Founder Professor of Engineering
- Director, Illinois Center for Transportation
- Director, Advanced Transportation Research and Engineering Laboratory
Primary Research Area
- Transportation Engineering
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Penn State, University Park, PA, 1990
- MEng, Civil Engineering, Penn State, University Park, PA, 1986
- BSCE, Civil Engineering, Yarmouk University, Irbid, Jordan, 1984
Professor Imad Al-Qadi is Founder Professor of Engineering and Director of the Advanced Transportation Research and Engineering Laboratory (ATREL) and the Illinois Center for Transportation (ICT) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He served as an Instructor and Research Engineer at Penn State University from 1988 to 1990. He was a member of the faculty of the Charles E. Via Jr. Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Virginia Tech from 1990 to 2004. By 1998, he had already been promoted to full professor four years early; and by 2002, he was named the Charles E. Via Jr. Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Professor Al-Qadi holds a B.S. (1984) from Yarmouk University and M.S. (1986) and Ph.D. (1990) degrees from Penn State University, all in Civil Engineering.
A registered professional engineer, Professor Al-Qadi is an elected Distinguished Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), a Chapter Honorary Member of Chi Epsilon at the University of Illinois, The Civil Engineering Honor Society, an Honorary Member of the Societa Italiana Infrastructure Viarie, Emeritus Member of TRB Committee AHD25 on Sealants and Fillers for Joints and Cracks, and an Honorary Professor at Southeast University in Nanjing, China, and KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Associate Editor of the Research in Nondestructive Evaluation Journal, past Regional Editor of the Construction and Building Materials Journal, Guest Editor of ASNT Materials special edition on Nondestructive Evaluation of Pavements, and he serves on the editorial boards of other journals. Professor Al-Qadi is the only pavement engineer to ever receive the National Science Foundation Young Investigator Award (1994) and the Quadrennial International Geosynthetic Society Award (2002). He has also received numerous awards including the ASCE James Laurie Prize (2007), the 2013 ARTBA S.S. Steinberg Award, the 2014 ASCE Turner Award, the TRR of the National Academies D. Grant Mickle Award (2006), Limoges Medal of Merit (2004), the STS Research Award (1993), Virginia Tech College of Engineering Dean’s Award for Research Excellence (2001), ASCE Outstanding Instructor Award (2006), the Illinois Center for Transportation Research Award (2012), Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising (2010), as well as best paper awards. His achievements were profiled in the TRNews of the National Academies in November-December 2006 issue.
Professor Al-Qadi is currently the President of the Board of Governors of the ASCE Transportation and Development Institute. He is also the Group Leader of the ISAP Technical Committee on Interlayer Systems; member of TRB Operation and Maintenance Group; member of State Transportation Innovation Leadership Team-Illinois; member of the USDOT Truck Size and Weight Study National Committee; and Chair of the TRB subcommittee on Interlayer Systems to Control Reflective Cracking. He is the past Chair of TRB Preservation and Maintenance Section, TRB Committee AHD25 on Sealants and Fillers for Joints and Cracks, TRB Subcommittee AFS70-2 on Geosynthetics in Flexible Pavement Systems, ASCE Highway Pavement Committee, and ASCE Design, Construction, and Maintenance Executive Council. Professor Al-Qadi served as Chair/Co-Chair of many international conferences including the 5th, 6th, and 7th RILEM International Conference on Pavement Cracking, the 2006 International NDE Conference on Civil Engineering, the Advanced Characterization of Pavement and Soil Engineering Materials, the 2006, 2010, and 2013 International Airfield and Highway Pavement Conferences, and the First ASCE Transportation and Development Institute Congress. Professor Al-Qadi is a member of Transportation Research Board (TRB), Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT), North American Geosynthetic Society (NAGS), International Society of Asphalt Pavements (ISAP), International Geosynthetic Society (IGS), American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), International Association of Computer Methods and Advances in Geomechanics (IACMAG), and American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM).
Professor Al-Qadi authored/coauthored more than 550 publications, more than 300 of which are fully-refereed papers (185 in periodic journals). His research resulted in the development of new tests, testing specifications, advanced modeling and simulation of pavement loading, and analysis of radar electromagnetic wave interactions with civil engineering materials, roads and bridges. He has served as the principal investigator of more than 100 projects sponsored by various federal, state, and international agencies and industry and has managed more than 175 projects sponsored by ICT. Professor Al-Qadi has consulted for numerous federal, state, and major public agencies in the U.S. and abroad, including FHWA, BP Amoco, Michelin, Bekaert, Maccaferri, DMJM+HARRIS, and Koch.
- Director, Advanced Transportation Research and Engineering Laboratory, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 8/2004-Present
- Founder and Director, Illinois Center for Transportation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 8/2005-Present
- Founder Professor of Engineering, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 8/2004-Present; Transportation Program Coordinator, 8/2004-5/2016
- Charles E. Via, Jr. Professor, Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, 8/2002-8/2004
- Professor, Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, 8/1998-8/2002; Founder and Leader, Roadway Infrastructure Group, 1999-2004
- Associate Professor, Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, 8/1994-8/1998; Coordinator, Materials Division, 1995-1998
- Assistant Professor, Via Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, 8/1990-8/1994
- Instructor/ Research Engineer (Joint Appointment), Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and The Pennsylvania Transportation Institute, Penn State, 8/1988-8/1990
- Lecturer, Comparative Literature, Penn State, 5/1988-8/1988
- Graduate Research/ Teaching Assistant, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Penn State, 8/1985-8/1988
For more information
Major Consulting Activities
- Consulting Activities More than Five Years Old: American Research Corporation of Virginia, Radford, VA; Amoco Fabrics and Fibers Company, Atlanta, GA; Barata and Associates, Vinton, VA; Bayshore Concrete Products, Cape Charles, VA; Bekaert, Zwevegem, Belgium; Branch Highways Inc., Roanoke, VA; BP Amoco, Atlanta, GA; CARPI USA, Roanoke, VA; CARPI Waterproofing Specialists and Contractors, Switzerland; Charles W. Barger & Sons, Inc., Lexington, VA; Concorr, Inc., Ashburn, VA; CSI, Houston, TX; California Drainage Products, Oceanside, CA; D.S. Brown Co., North Baltimore, OH; Delaware Department of Transportation, Dover, DE; Diaz Yourman & Associates, Santa Ana, CA; DMJM+HARRIS, Philadelphia, PA; Dow Corning Chemicals, Midland, MI; Frederic Harris, Inc., Philadelphia, PA; Geosynthetic Material Association, Roseville, MN; Haley & Aldrich, Bedford, NH; Harrington Co., Lynchburg, VA; Karam Development and Promotion, Inc., Beirut, Lebanon; Kercher Engineering, Inc., Newark, DE; Koch Pavement Solutions, Inc., Wichita, KS; Landsaver, Inc., Richmond, VA; NCHRP Project 18-06A on Service Life of Corrosion Damaged Reinforced Concrete Bridge Superstructure Elements; Pederson & Freeman, LLP, Washington, DC; Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Harrisburg, PA; Peppers Ferry Regional Wastewater Treatment Authority, Pulaski, VA; Presto, Appleton, WI; Price and Company, Inc., Wyoming, MI; RoadVision Technology, Pasadena, CA; SemMaterails, Inc., Tulsa, OK; Rockydale Quarries, Roanoke, VA; RouteAero, Taipei, Taiwan; Tenax, Inc., Baltimore, MD; Troxler Electronic Laboratories, Inc., Research Triangle Park, NC; URS Greiner Woodward Clyde, Philadelphia, PA; Valley Forge Laboratories, Inc., Devon, PA; Valley Forge Laboratories, Inc., Philadelphia, PA; Weston Solutions, Inc., Edison, NJ; Williams-Russell and Johnson, Inc., Atlanta, GA; and Woodward-Clyde Consultants, Plymouth Meeting, PA.
- Provincia di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
- Quality Engineering Solutions, Inc., Conneaut Lake, PA
- Propex Fabrics, Austell, GA
- Northrop Grumman Technical Services, Inc., Albuquerque, NM
- Maccaferri Gabions, Inc., Bologna, Italy
- Pennoni Associates Inc., Philadelphia, PA
- Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC
- Atlantic Construction Fabrics, Inc., Richmond, VA
- Professional Engineer, Civil Engineering, Commonwealth of Virginia, No. 024525, 1991
- Professional Engineer, Civil Engineering, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, No. PE-040455-E, 1990
Professor Al-Qadis teaching, research, and consulting interests and expertise focus primarily on civil engineering and pavement materials, highway and airfield pavement mechanics, and advanced modeling including viscoelastic response to tire loading, pavement fracture, tire-pavement interaction, and modeling of pavement interface and interlayer systems; nondestructive testing evaluation including ground penetrating radar signal analysis; infrastructure asset management systems including pavement sustainability and recycling optimization and pavement condition assessment, rehabilitation, and life cycle assessment; interlayer system testing and modeling including geosynthetics, reinforcement, and strain energy absorption systems; transportation infrastructure instrumentation and full- scale accelerated testing; polymerized asphalt rheology; and forensic engineering and arbitration.
- Asphalt Technology and Binder Rheology
- Pavement Sustainability, Recycling, and Life Cycle Assessment
- Pavement Fracture, Reflection Cracking, and Geosynthetically Stabilized and Reinforced Pavements
- Nondestructive Evaluation and Noninvasive Material Characterization; Ground Penetrating Radar
- Pavement Modeling, Design, Analysis, Instrumentation, Rehabilitation, and Management Systems
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- Al-Qadi, I. L. and S. Murrell, Sustainable and Efficient Pavements, Proceedings of the 2013 Airfield and Highway Pavement Conference, Los Angeles, Jun 2013, 1460 p.
- Jones, D., J, Harvey, A. Mateos, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Advances in Pavement Design through Full-Scale Accelerated Pavement Testing, CRC Press - Taylor and Frances, Sep 2012, 558 p.
- Scarpas, T., N. Kringos, I. L. Al-Qadi, and A. Loizos, Proceedings of the 7th RILEM International Conference on Cracking in Pavements: Mechanics, Modeling, Detection, Testing, and Case Histories, Springer, Delft, Netherlands, Jun 2012, 1378 p.
- Al-Qadi, I. L. and S. Murrell, Proceedings of the First T&DI Congress, Integrated Transportation for a Better Tomorrow, ASCE, March 2011, (in CD).
- Huang, B., E. Tutumluer, I. L. Al-Qadi, J. Prozzi, and X. Shu, Paving Materials and Pavement Analysis, Special Technical Publication, ASCE, Jun 2010, 592 p.
- Tutumluer, E. and I. L. Al-Qadi, Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways, and Airfields, Taylor and Francis, Urbana, IL, Jun 2009, 1509 p.
- Loizos, A., M. Partel, T. Scarpas, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Proceedings of the 7th International RILEM Symposium on Advanced Testing and Characterization of Bituminous Materials (ATCBM09), 2 Volumes, Taylor and Francis, Rhodes, Greece, May 2009, 1301 p.
- Al-Qadi, I. L., T. Sayed, N. Alnuaimi, and E. Masad, Efficient Transportation and Pavement Systems: Characterization, Mechanisms, Simulations, and Modeling, Taylor and Francis, Doha, Qatar, Nov 2008, 912 p.
- Roesler, J. R., H. Bahia, I. L. Al-Qadi, and S. Murrell, Airfield and Highway Pavements: Efficient Pavements Supporting Transportations Future, Proceedings of the 2008 Airfield and Highway Pavement Conference, ASCE, Seattle, WA, Oct 2008, 648 p.
- Al-Qadi, I. L., T. Scarpas, and A. Loizos, Pavement Cracking: Mechanics, Modeling, Detection, Testing, and Case Histories, Proceedings of the 6th RILEM International Conference on Cracking in Pavements, Taylor and Francis, Chicago, IL, Jun 2008, 914 p.
Chapters in Books
- Masson, J-F.,P. Collins, J. R. Woods, S. Bundalo-Perc, I. L. Al-Qadi, Chapter 12: A Decade of Weathering Elastomeric Bituminous Materials: Physico-Chemical Analysis and Degradation Pathways, in Polymer Modified Bitumens, T. McNally, Woodhead Publishing Ltd., Cambridge, UK, 2011, pp. 298-335.
Selected Articles in Journals
- (*)(W) Zhao, S., P. Shangguan, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Application of Regularized Deconvolution for Measuring Thin Pavement Layer Thickness from Ground Penetrating Radar Data, The Journal of Non-Destructive Testing and Evaluation, 2015, (Accepted).
- (*)(W) Ozer. H, S. S. Yousefi, I. L. Al-Qadi, and G. E. Castro, Field Aging and Development of Aging Model for Hot-Poured Crack Sealants, The Journal of Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Vol. 2481, Washington, DC, 2015, pp. 90-99.
- (*) Ghosh, L. E., Lu, L., H. Ozer, Ouyang, Y., and I. L. Al-Qadi, Effect of Pavement Surface Roughness and Congestion, on Expected Freeway Traffic Energy Consumption, The Journal of Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, DC, No. 2503, pp. 10-19.
- (*)(W) Dhasmana, H., H. Ozer, I. L. Al-Qadi, Y Zhang, L. Schideman, B. Sharma, W-T Chen, M. J. Minarick, and P. Zhang, Rheological and Chemical Characterization of Biobinders from Different Biomass Resources, The Journal of Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Vol. 2505, Washington, DC, 2015, pp. 121-129.
- (*)(W) Aurangzeb, Q., Al-Qadi. I. L., Ozer, H., and R. Yang. Hybrid Life Cycle Assessment for Asphalt Mixtures with High RAP Content, Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Vol. 83, 2013, pp. 7786.
- (*)(W) Kang, S., Yang, R., Ozer, H., and I. L. Al-Qadi, Life-Cycle Greenhouse Gases and Energy Consumption for the Material and Construction Phases of Pavement with Traffic Delay, Transportation Research Record, Journal of Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, No. 2428, Washington D.C., 2014, pp. 27-34.
- (*)(W) Hernandez, J. and I. L. Al-Qadi, Airfield Pavement Response Caused by Heavy Aircraft Takeoff: Advanced Modeling Consideration of Wheel Interaction, The Journal of Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Vol. 2471, pp. 40-47.
- (*)(W) Al-Qadi, I. L., R. Yang, S. Kang, H. Ozer, E. Ferrebee, J. Roesler, A. Salinas, J. Meijer, W. Vavrik, and S. Gillen, Scenarios Developed for Improved Sustainability of Illinois Tollway: Life-Cycle Assessment Approach, The Journal of Transportation Research Record, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, No. 2523, 2015, pp. 11-18.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- (*)(W) Yang, R., H. Ozer, S. Kang, I. L. Al-Qadi, Life-Cycle Impact of Producing Bituminous Mixes with Varying Degrees of Recycled Materials, International Symposium on Pavement LCA, J. T. Harvey, H. Jullien, D. Jones, Eds., Davis, CA, Oct 14-16, 2014, pp. 107-118.
- (*)(W) Ozer, H., R. Yang, P. Singhvi, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Evaluating the Sustainability of Hot-in-Place Asphalt Recycling, the Eighth International Conference on Maintenance and Rehabilitation of Pavements (MAIREPAV8), Singapore, Jul 27-29, 2016.
- (*) Nega, A., H. Nikraz, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Dynamic Analysis of Falling Weight Deflectometer Test Results for Strength of Character of Flexible Pavement Layer Moduli, 9th International Conference on Road and Airfield Pavement Technology, Dalian, China, Aug 9-13, 2015, pp. 1-15.
- (*)(W) Solanki, P., H. Ozer, S. S. Yousefi, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Effect of Installation Parameters on Performance of Hot-Poured Crack Sealants, Proceedings of ASCE T&DI Cogress 2014, B. McKeehan and R. Bryson, Eds. Orlando, FL, Jun 8-11, 2014, pp. 142-152.
- (*)(W) Hernandez, J. A. and I. L. Al-Qadi, "Airfield Pavement Response Due to Heavy Aircraft Takeoff: Advanced Modeling Comparing Single Tire and Dual Tandem Gear," The 2014 FAA Worldwide Airport Technology Transfer Conference, Galloway, NJ, Aug 7-8, 2014, pp. 5-7.
- (*)(W) Hernandez, J. A., I. L. Al-Qadi, J. Greene, B. Choubane, R. Wu, J. Harvey, and E J. Weaver, Pavement Damage as a Function of Truck Tire Type, Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Asphalt Pavements, ISAP 2014, R. Kim, Ed., Raleigh, NC, 6/1-5/2014, pp. 1125-1134.
- Abuawad, I.M., Q. Aurangzeb, I.L. Al-Qadi, and H. Ozer, "Potential Moisture Damage of Asphalt Mixtures with Additives Using Various Test Mechanisms," 93rd Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, Paper No. TBD, Washington, DC, Jan 2014.
- Wang, H., I. L. Al-Qadi, J. Baek, and Z. Leng, "Rutting Potential of Warm Mix Asphalt and Possible Misleading Results due to Reheating," Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railway, and Airfields, Trondheim, Norway, Jun 25-27, 2013, pp. 627-636.
- Ozer, H., I. L. Al-Qadi, K. I. Hasiba, H. Wang, and A. Salinas, "Pavement Layer Interface Characterization Using a Hyperbolic Mohr-Coulomb Model and Finite Element Analysis," Proceedings of the Airfield & Highway Pavement Conference: Sustainable and Efficient Pavements, I. L. Al-Qadi and S. Murrell, Eds., T&DI ASCE, Los Angeles, 2013, pp. 1445-1456.
- Impact of Recycled RAP and RAS on Asphalt Mixes, IDOT District Engineers, Webinar, Jan 10, 2015.
- Advances in Pavements Research, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, Dec 15, 2015.
- Toward Renewable Transportation Systems and Sustainable Pavements, The 19th International Conference of Hong Kong Society for Transportation Studies: Transportation and Infrastructure, Hong Kong, Dec 13-15, 2015 (Keynote).
- Impact of Wide-Base Tires on Pavements, Workshop on New Generation Wide Based Tires, Winnipeg, MB, Canada, Oct 20, 2014 (Keynote).
- In-Situ Asphalt Pavement Density Monitoring Using GPR, 3rd International Transportation PhD Student Symposium, KTH, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug 29-30, 2014.
- The Future of Transportation Sustainability, 2nd T&DI Congress, ASCE, Orlando, FL, Jun 8-11 (Turner Lecture).
- Applications of Ground Penetrating Radar on Assessment of Transportation Infrastructure, 2014 IAHE Meeting, Feb 18, 2014, Chicago (Presented by P. Shangguan).
- Impact of Tire Loading on Pavements, Michelin Americas Research, Greenville, SC, Mar 31, 2014.
- Long Lasting Pavements in Hot Climates, Ministry of Transportation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, Apr 22, 2014.
- Towards Long Lasting Flexible Pavements, 'The Fourth Jordan International Conference and Exhibition for Roads and Transport, Amman, Jordan, Mar 12-14, 2014 (Keynote).
- Sankar, K., P. B. Stynoski, G. K. Al-Chaar, I. L. Al-Qadi, and W. M. Kriven, Processing Microstructure and Properties of Slag-Fly Ash Geopolymers, the 41st ICACC Conference, Orlando, FL, Dec 2016 (Abstract and Presentation).
- Yang, R., H. Ozer, I. L. Al-Qadi, and S-G Kang, Development of Asphalt Binder Models for Pavement Life Cycle Assessment, 3rd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Stockholm, Sweden, Aug 28-29, 2014 (Poster).
- Hou, W., E. Tutumluer, H. Ozer, J. Roesler, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Sustainable Aggregates Production Green Applications for Aggregate By-Products, 2nd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Champaign, IL, Sep 3-4, 2013 (Poster).
- Kang, S., R. Yang, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Development of a Regionalized Life-Cycle Assessment Tool for Pavements, 2nd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Champaign, IL, Sep 3-4, 2013 (Poster).
- Shangguan, P., and I. L. Al-Qadi, Asphalt Pavement Density Prediction Using Electromagnetic Data Simulation and Artificial Neural Network, 2nd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Champaign, IL, Sep 3-4, 2013 (Poster).
- Aurangzeb, Q. and I. L. Al-Qadi, Reclaimed Asphalt Pavements (RAP) Economic and Environmental Perspective, 2nd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Champaign, IL, Sep 3-4, 2013 (Poster).
- Abuawad, I., H. Dhasmana, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Controlling Moisture Susceptibility of Asphalt Mixes Using Additives/Modifiers, 2nd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Champaign, IL, Sep 3-4, 2013 (Poster).
- Son, S., and I. L. Al-Qadi, Engineering and Economic Benefits of Thin Durable Asphalt Overlays, 2nd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Champaign, IL, Sep 3-4, 2013 (Poster).
- Hernandez, J. A., A. Gamez, M. Ziyadi, A. Coenen, and I. L. Al-Qadi, Experimental Measurement and Analysis of Pavement Responses under Wide-Base Tires, 2nd International Transportation Doctoral Symposium, Champaign, IL, Sep 3-4, 2013 (Poster).
- Abuawad, I. M, Q. Aurangzeb, I. L. Al-Qadi, and H. Ozer, Potential Moisture Damage of Asphalt Mixtures with Additives Using Various Test Mechanisms, 93rd Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, TRB No. 14-2925, Washington, DC, Jan 12-16, 2014 (Poster).
- Al-Qadi, I. L., Treading Water: Proper Friction Measurements Are Needed to Keep Pavement Free of Ice during The Winter Season, Road & Bridges, Vol. 42, No. 10, Oct 2004, pp. 34-42.
- Abo-Qudais, S. A. and I. L. Al-Qadi, Mechanical Characteristics of Rigid Pavement Joint Sealant, Pittuaree Evernici Europe, No. 3, Vol, 72, March 1996, Italy, 12 p.
- Al-Qadi, I. L. and T. L. Brandon, "Geosynthetics Improve Pavement Service Life," Erosion Control, Vol. 1, No. 4, Sep/Oct 1994. pp. 48-57.
- Editorial Board, Sustainbility Journal, Nov 20016-
- Editorial Board, Construction and Building Materials Journal, Elsevier, Aug 2006-
- Editorial Board, Journal of Engineering Research, May 2003-
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Road Materials and Pavement Design, Apr 2003-
- Editorial Board, Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, Oct 2005- Oct 2006.
- Editorial Board, Transportation Geotechnics, Oct 2013-
- Associate Editor, Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, Oct 2006-
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Nondestructive Testing, Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 19, No. 10, 2005.
- Guest Editor, ASNT Special Edition on NDE of Pavements, ASNT Materials, Vol. 62, No. 7, 2004.
- North America Editor, Construction and Building Materials Journal, Elsevier, Jul 2003- Aug 2006.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, IEEE (2015- )
- RILEM, International Union of Laboratories and Experts in Construction Materials, Systems, and Construction (2003-2010) Committee on Pavement Cracking,(Member 2001- 2011) Committee on Interpretation of NDT Results and Assessment of RC Structures,(Member 2001-2010) Committee on Advanced Testing and Characterization of Bituminous Materials,(Member 2006-2010) Subcommittee on Recycling,(Member 2007-2010 ); Committee PIM Phase and Interphase Behavior of Innovative Bituminous Materials TG3 Pavement Multilayer System (2016- )
- International Society of Asphalt Pavements (2003- ) Committee on Pavement Interlayer Systems, (Chair 2004- ) Committee on Constitutive Modeling of Pavements, (Member 2004- ) Committee on Constitutive Modeling of Asphaltic Materials, (Member 2004- )
- International Geosynthetic Society (1995- )
- American Society of Nondestructive Testing (2002- ) 1. ASNT Infrastructure Committee, 2014-
- North American Geosynthetic Society (1995- )
- Canadian Technical Asphalt Association (1993-1995)
- Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (1990- ) Board Member Nomination Committee (2010)
- American Society for Testing and Materials (1990- ): E17: Committee on Pavement Management Technologies (Member 1992-2006) D04: Committee on Road and Paving Materials (Member 1992-2006) C09: Committee on Concrete and Concrete Aggregates (Member 1992-2007) E17.31: Committee on Methods for Measuring Profile and Roughness (Member 1991-2008) E17.32: Committee on Measurements and Control of Roughness in Construction and Rehabilitation of Pavements (Member 1991-2005) E17.41: Committee on Pavement Management (Member 1994-2005) D04.20: Committee on Mechanical Tests of Bituminous Mixes (Member 1994-2007) D04.22: Committee on Effect of Water and Other Elements on Bituminous Coated Aggregates (Member 1995-2008) D04.25: Committee on Analysis of Bituminous Mixtures (Member 1994-2007) D04.39: Committee on Nondestructive Testing of Pavement Structures (Member 1995-2008) D04.48: Committee on Chemistry of Asphalt and Additives (Member 1994-2001)
- American Society of Engineering Education (1990-1996)
Service on Department Committees
- ICT Search Committees for Resource and Policy Analyst, Editor, Information Technology, Research Engineers, Deputy Director, Manager, Communication Coordinator (2006-2010)
- Strategic Hiring Committee, Member (2009-2010)
- Graduate Affairs Committee, Member (2005-2006)
- Served on several search committees, Chair (2004-2005)
- Served on several Ad-Hoc Committees for P&T (2005- )
- Promotion and Tenure Committee, Member (2005-2011); Chair (2011-2013)
- Transportation Program Group Leader (2004-2016)
- Administrative Committee, Member (2005-2007)
- Task Committee on Retention and Placement of UIUC PhD Students, Member (2006-2007)
Service on College Committees
- Invited Speaker on Leadership for Selected College Faculty (2010)
- Subcommittee on Master of Science Degree Program in the Field of Financial Engineering, Member (2007-2008)
- College of Engineering Strategic Planning Ad-Hoc Committee, Member (2005-2006)
- Committee for Strategic Hiring, Member (2009-2010)
- Strategic Task Force on Illinois Engineering Research Institute, Member (2009-2010)
- Award Committee, Member (2012-2014)
Service on Campus Committees
- Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies, Affiliated Faculty (2008- )
- Represent the University to the GLASER Technical Meetings (Feb 2010)
- Leading University Transportation Initiative (2009- )
- Campus Operation Committee, Member (2006-2008)
- University Senate, Elected Member (2006-2008)
- University Parking System Review Committee, Member (2008-2009)
Service to Federal and State Government
- Hosted the Virginia Technology Transfer Center Advisory Committee (Sep 1994)
- Hosted The Virginia Asphalt Research Advisory Committee (Sep 1994; May 2000)
- Hosted The Virginia Pavement Research Advisory Committee Meeting (Mar 1999)
- Hosted The Virginia Aggregate Association Meeting in Blacksburg, VA (Aug 1999; Jun 2000; July 2001)
- Served on several NSF panels
- Serve on ICT-IDOT Executive Committee (2005- )
- Co-Organize a Workshop on Wide-base Tire Impact on Pavements, Federal Highway Administration Committee (Sep 2007)
- Serve on the Federal Highway Administration Committee on Accelerated Pavement Testing (2005-2011)
- Serve on the Federal Highway Administration Fundamental Properties and Advanced Modeling Expert Technical Group (2006- )
- Serve on NCHRP Project 20-5: Pre-Overlay Treatment of Existing Pavements (2006-2008)
Other Outside Service
- Service at Virginia Tech • Elected Member of the VT University Council (2002 - 2004) • Elected Member for the VT College of Engineering Council (2003 - 2004) • Virginia Tech Transportation Institute Executive Leaders Group (1999 - 2004) • Elected as a Chair of the Evaluation Coordinating Team for the VT CEE Department Head Performance Evaluation (1999 - 2000) • Served on the VT CEE Department Research Competitiveness Proposal Review (2000) • Served on the VT Curriculum Committee (2002 - 2004) • Served on the VT Department Honorific Committee (2002 - 2004) • Served as the Roadway Infrastructure Group Leader at VTTI (1999 - 2004) • Civil Engineering Materials Program, Coordinator (1995 - 1998) • Served on the University Materials Cross-Cutting Initiative (2000 - 2002) • Served on the University Transportation Cross-Cutting Initiative (Research Group Chair, 1998 - 2002) • Civil Engineering Department Representative to Sigma Xi (1993 - 1997) • Faculty/ Administrator Student Mentor Program (1993 - 1997) • Served on 14 Faculty Search Committees and Chaired Two at Virginia Tech • Served on the Department Promotion and Tenure Committee (member 1998 - 2000; chair 2000 - 2001) • Served on the VT Via Fellowship Selection Committee (1998 - 2004) • VT Undergraduate Honor System, Department Representative (1995 - 1997) • VT Graduate Honor System, Department Representative (1995 - 1997) • VT Department Technician Advisors Committee (1995 - 2001) • Served as ASPIRES Proposal Reviewer (1999) • Virginia Tech ASCE Student Chapter, Advisor (1993 - 1996) • Concrete Canoe Advisor, ASCE Student Chapter (1991 - 1992; 1994 - 1997) • Civil Engineering Undergraduate/Alumni Mentor Program, Advisor (1993 - 1995) • Undergraduate Scholarship Committee (1992 - 1995) • Served on several Virginia Tech Departmental Committees such as Infrastructure Track and Measurement Course Committees • Smart Road Technical Committee (1995 -1998) • College of Engineering Industrial Open House Committee (1996 - 1998) • Implemented the Alumni Mentoring Program (1994 - 1996)
- Speaker at many social functions
- BIS Sunday School, Director, Blacksburg, VA (Jan 1994 - May 1995)
- Numerous non-technical talks/ presentation. Examples include several debates; Breakfast with Professor, invited by the New Century Technology Council of Blacksburg, Mar 18, 2004; invited speaker/panelist by the Virginia Tech Student Political Club (Apr 2004); invited speaker at Globalization Issues and Industrial Management class (Apr 2003); Blacksburg Middle School (May 2003); Pamplin College of Business (Feb 2003); Unitarian Universalist Fellowship (Dec 2002); Virginia Tech by different student organizations (Mar 2002); the YMCA, Blacksburg, VA (Feb 1994); the Luther Memorial Lutheran Church, Blacksburg, VA (Sep 1992); Boy Scouts, Blacksburg, VA (Nov 1990); State College High School (five times), State College, PA (1990); elementary schools (several times), Blacksburg, VA (since 1994); Radford University, Radford, VA (Mar 1995); and History Department, Penn State, State College, PA (Mar 1987). He was also invited as a commentator on documentary movies (Mar 2003 and 1996)
- Served as Member of the Accreditation Committee for the Civil Engineering Program at the American University of Sharja, Sharjah, UAE, (May 2003)
- Development of Research Needs Panel for Qatar, Doha, Qatar (May 2006)
- External Reviewer for the Civil Engineering Program at Sultan Qaboos University, Muscat, Oman (2001-2003)
- Visit to Chile as part of team to assess earthquake damage to the highway systems (April 11-16, 2010)
- External Reviewer for the Jubail University College and Jubail Industrial College, Jubail, Saudi Arabia (2011)
- Member of the Hashemite University International Board, Zarka, Jordan (2012- )
- Recipient of Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, 2010.
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Students, Fall 2009 and Fall 2010.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Outstanding Instructor Award, 2006. (2006)
- Dean's List of Excellent Teachers at Virginia Tech (ten times): Spring: 1991, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2003, and 2004; Fall 1993, 1996, 1998, and 2003. (Spring: 1991, 1992, 1997, 1998, 2003, and 2004; Fall 1993, 1996, 1998, and 2003.)
- Dr. Al-Qadis students received numerous awards from FHWA (Eisenhower fellows), FAA, AAPT, ASCE, and many other organizations.
- Dr. Al-Qadis research has appeared in several professional magazines, newspapers, and TV and radio programs in the US, and abroad, including ASCE Magazine, Roads and Bridges, Washington Post, Chicago Tribune, Daily Herald, Roanoke Times, News Gazette, AVIONEWS, Transportation Urban Planning Magazine, Erosion, Alhayat, Alwatar, Quds, Rockford Register Star, WCIA, WAND, Tyre Asia, and several other publications.
- Several of Dr. Al-Qadis TRB papers were selected Practice-Ready Papers and distributed to the US DOT materials and pavement engineers:Runway Instrumentation and Response Measurements, Influence of Filler Fractional Voids on Mastic and Mixture Performance, Impact of Wide-Base Tires on Pavements: Results from Instrumentation Measurements and Modeling Analysis, Performance Characterization of Asphalt Mixtures at High Asphalt Binder Replacement with Recycled Asphalt Shingles, Characterization and Stabilization of Quarry Byproducts for Sustainable Pavement Applications, Development of Present and Baseline Scenarios to Assess Sustainability Improvements of Illinois Tollway Pavements Using a Life-Cycle Assessment Approach, Field Evaluation of Geocell Use in Flexible Pavements, Steel Reinforcing Netting Mechanism to Reduce Reflective Cracking in Asphalt Concrete Overlays, Successful Application of GPR for Quality Assurance/Quality Control of New Pavements, Quantification of Pavement Damage Due to Dual and Wide-Base Tires, and Comparison between Resilient Modulus and Dynamic Modulus of Hot-Mix Asphalt as Material Properties for Flexible Pavement.
- The ASCE T&DIs Francis C. Turner Award, 2014.
- 2013 S. S. Steinberg Award in Education and Research, American Road and Transportation Builders Association, 2014.
- Gene Skok Award for Outstanding Paper by a Young Author, AFD70 Committee on Rehabilitation, TRB (Q. Aurangzeb, the first Author) .
- ICT Research Award, Transportation and Highway Engineering Conference, 2013.
- T&DI/ASCE Best Paper Award by a Young Author, Airfield and Highway Pavement Conference, Los Angeles, CA, Jun 2013 (J. Hernandez, the first Author).
- Recipient of the 2009 Advisor of FAA Design Competition for Universities on Airport and Operation and Maintenance, 2nd place, FAA.
Public Service Honors
- Honorary Professor, Chang An University, Xian, China, Jun 2015.
- ICT High Impact Research Award, Champaign, IL, Feb 2013.
- Affiliate Professor, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden, Mar 2013.
- Chief International Academic Advisor, School of Transportation Science and Engineering, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China, Dec 2012.
- Achievement Award, American Arab Association for Engineers and Architects, Chicago, IL, Nov 1, 2012.
- Honorary Guest Professor of Civil Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing, China, May 31, 2012.
- Elected Honorary Member, Chi Epsilon, the Civil Engineering Honor Society, Apr 2012.
- Member Emeritus of the Transportation Research Board Committee on Sealants and Fillers for Joints and Cracks, Jan 2012.
- ASCE Central Illinois Section Distinguished Member Award, 2010 "for legendary contributions to the profession of civil engineering and achievements of eminence in the field of pavement engineering and related technologies."
- Elected to the ASCE Transportation and Development Institute Board of Governors, 2011-2015; Treasurer, 2011-2012; Vice President, 2012-2013; President, 2013-2014, Past President 2014-2015.