- BS, The Pennsylvania State University, Aerospace Engineering, 2008
- MS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Aerospace Engineering, 2010
- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Aerospace Engineering, 2013
- Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Jan. 2015-present
For more information
- AE 515 (Wing Theory)
- AE 419 (Aircraft Flight Mechanics)
- AE 416 (Applied Aerodynamics)
- AE 311 (Incompressible Flow)
- Applied aerodynamics, unsteady flows, wake and shear flows, experimental aerodynamics, flow control, aircraft design, aircraft performance
Selected Articles in Journals
- Gupta, R. and Ansell, P.J., "Closed-Loop Trailing-Edge Separation Control System using Empirical Mode Decomposition," AIAA Journal, accepted for publication.
- Perry, A.T. and Ansell, P.J., "Cross-flow Fan Power Requirements for Boundary-Layer Suction in Transonic Flow," Journal of Aircraft, accepted for publication.
- Wroblewski, G.E. and Ansell, P.J., "Prediction and Experimental Evaluation of Planar Wing Spanloads for Minimum Drag," Journal of Aircraft, accepted for publication.
- Ansell, P.J. and Balajewicz, M.J., Separation of Unsteady Scales in a Mixing Layer using Empirical Mode Decomposition, AIAA Journal, Vol. 55, No. 2, 2017, pp. 419-434. doi: 10.2514/1.J055120
- Ansell, P.J. and Bragg, M.B., "Unsteady Modes in Flowfield About Airfoil with Horn-Ice Shape," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 53, No. 2, 2016, pp. 475-486. doi: 10.2514/1.C033421
- Ansell, P.J. and Bragg, M.B., "Characterization of Low-Frequency Oscillations in the Flowfield about an Airfoil with a Horn-Ice Shape," AIAA Journal, Vol. 53, No. 3, 2015, pp. 629-637. doi: 10.2514/1.J053206
- Ansell, P.J., Kerho, M.F., and Bragg, M.B., "Application of a Hinge-Moment-Based Envelope Protection System on a Wing," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 51, No. 6, 2014, pp. 2038-2042. doi: 10.2514/1.C032703
- Pomeroy, B.W., Diebold, J.M., Ansell, P.J., and Selig, M.S., "A Study of Burst Wakes in a Multielement Airfoil Flowfield," AIAA Journal, Vol. 52, No. 4, 2014, pp. 821-831. doi: 10.2514/1.J052680
- Ansell, P.J. and Bragg, M.B., "Measurement of Unsteady Flow Reattachment on an Airfoil with a Leading-Edge Ice Shape," AIAA Journal, Vol. 52, No. 3, 2014, pp. 656-659. doi: 10.2514/1.J052519
- Ansell, P.J., Bragg, M.B., and Kerho, M.F., "Stall Warning Using Flap Hinge Moment Measurements," Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 48, No. 5, 2011, pp. 1822-1844. doi: 10.2514/1.C031435.
- Kerho, M.F., Bragg, M.B., Ansell, P.J., Detector Function and System for Predicting Airfoil Stall from Hinge Moment Measurements, Unites States Patent, US 2013/0345910 A1.
- Sigma Gamma Tau, Member
- APS, Member
- AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Technical Committee, Chair of Honors and Awards Subcommittee (2017-present)
- AIAA Applied Aerodynamics Technical Committee, Associate Member
- AIAA, Senior Member
- List of Teachers Ranked Excellent by their Students (Fall 2012, Fall 2015, Spring 2016
- Engineering Council Outstanding Advising Award (2015)
- William T. Piper General Aviation Systems Award
- AFOSR Young Investigator Award (2015)
- Mavis Future Faculty Fellowship (2011-2012)
- Forbes 30 Under 30 (Science) (2016)