- B.S., Mathematics, Penn State University, 1999
- B.S., Engineering Science & Mechanics, Penn State University, with Honors, 1999
- M.S., Engineering Science, Penn State University, 2000
- M.S., Materials Science & Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2003
- Ph.D., Materials Science & Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 2006
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist & Course Instructor, Berkeley Nanosciences & Nanoengineering Institute, University of California, Berkeley, 2007-2009
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, MIT, 2009-2011
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science & Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2011-date
For more information
- Computational materials design, mechanical properties at the nanoscale, electronic properties of materials for energy storage and conversion, nanoscale phase transitions, properties of interfaces between dissimilar materials, defect-property relationships for materials.
- Solid Mechanics & Materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- E. Ertekin, M. T. Winkler, D. Recht, A. J. Said, M. J. Aziz, T. Buonassisi, and J. C. Grossman, "Insulator-to-metal Transition in Selenium-hyperdoped Silicon: Observation and Origin," Physical Review Letters 108 026401 (2012). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.108.026401.
- Schebarchov, D., S. C. Hendy, E. Ertekin, and J. C. Grossman, Interplay of Wetting and Elasticity in the Nucleation of Carbon Nanotubes, Physical Review Letters 107 185503 (2011). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.107.185503.
- Chen, S., E. Ertekin, and D. C. Chrzan, Plasticity in Carbon Nanotubes: Cooperative Conservative Dislocation Motion, Physical Review B 81 155417 (2010). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.81.155417.
- Ertekin, E., M.S. Daw, and D.C. Chrzan, Topological description of the Stone-Wales defect formation energy in carbon nanotubes and graphene, Physical Review B 79 155421 (2009). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.79.155421.
- Cao, J., E. Ertekin, V. Srinivasan, S. Huang, W. Fan, H. Zheng, J. W. L. Yim, D. R. Khanal, D. F. Ogletree, J. C. Grossman, and J. Wu, Strain Engineering and Onedimensional Organization of Metal Insulator Domains in Single Crystal VO2 Beams, Nature Nanotechnology 4 732 (2009). DOI: 10.1038/nnano.2009.266.
- Fan, W., S. Huang, J. Cao, E. Ertekin, C. Barrett, D. R. Khanal, J. C. Grossman, and J. Wu, Superelastic Metalinsulator Phase Transition in Singlecrystal VO2 Nanobeams, Physical Review B 80 241105(R) (2009). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.80.241105.
- Begtrup, G.E., W. Gannett, J. C. Meyer, T. D. Yuzvinsky, B.M. Kessler, E. Ertekin, J. C. Grossman, and A. Zettl, Facets of Nanotube Synthesis: Highresolution Electron Microscopy Study and Density Functional Theory Calculations, Physical Review B 79 205409 (2009). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.79.205409.
- Ertekin, E., M.S. Daw, and D.C. Chrzan, Elasticity Theory of Topological Defects in Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene, Philosophical Magazine Letters 88 159 (2008). DOI: 10.1080/09500830701822104.
- Ertekin, E. and D. C. Chrzan, Ideal Torsional Strengths and Stiffnesses of Carbon Nanotubes, Physical Review B 72 45425 (2005). DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevB.72.045425.
- Ertekin, E., P. A. Greaney, D. C. Chrzan, and T.D. Sands, Equilibrium Limits of Coherency in Strained Nanowire Heterostructures, Journal of Applied Physics 97 114325 (2005). DOI: 10.1063/1.1903106.
- Ertekin, E. and A. Lakhtakia, Optical Interconnects Realizable with Thin-ﬁlm Helicoidal Bianisotropic Mediums, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Seerice A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences 457 817-836 (2001). DOI: 10.1098/rspa.2000.0694.
- Ertekin, E., V.C. Venugopal, and A. Lakhtakia, Effect of Substrate and Lid on the Optical Response of an Axially Excited Slab of a Dielectric Thin-ﬁlm Helicoidal Bianisotropic Medium, Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 20 218-222 (1999).
- Ertekin, E. and A. Lakhtakia, Sculptured Thin Film Solc Filters for Optical Sensing of Gas Concentration, European Physical Journal -Applied Physics 5 45 (1999). DOI: 10.1051/epjap:1999110.
- American Physical Society, member since 2007
- Materials Research Society, member since 2001
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent (Fall 2011, Fall 2012, Spring 2013, Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Spring 2016), Illinois
- Early Career Faculty Fellow, The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS), 2016
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Research, University of Illinois College of Engineering, 2015
- Materials Research Society Best Poster Award, 2005 and 2012
- Intel Corporation Graduate Fellowship, 2004-2005
- National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1999-2002
- Xerox Undergraduate Research Award, Penn State University, 2000
- Frank Fenlon Undergraduate Thesis Presentation Award, Penn State University, 1999