- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2006
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, 2004
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2011-date
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications & Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, University of Minnesota, 2009-2011
For more information
- Prof. Ewoldt conducts fundamental research in fluid mechanics and rheology of complex fluids motivated by both their unavoidable and opportunistic novel functionality. Work often involves interdisciplinary collaborations and is a combination of experiment and theory. Complex fluids are ubiquitous in nature and in man-made applications and therefore research extends from bioengineering to manufacturing and robotics.
- Computation and Applied Math
- Fluid Mechanics
- Health and Bio
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics
- Thermo Heat and Transfer
Chapters in Books
Selected Articles in Journals
- Blackwell, B. C., A. E. Nadhan, and R. H. Ewoldt, "Impacts of yield-stress fluid drops on permeable meshes," Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 238, 107-114 (2016).
- Abdeen, A. A., J. Lee, N. A. Bharadwaj, R. H. Ewoldt, and K. A. Kilian, "Temporal Modulation of Stem Cell Activity using Magnetoactive Hydrogels," Advanced Healthcare Materials, early view article (2016).
- Ewoldt, R. H., "Predictions for the northern coast of the shear rheology map: XXLAOS," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 798, 1-4 (2016).
- Schuh, J. K. and R. H. Ewoldt, "Asymmetric surface textures decrease friction with Newtonian fluids in full film lubricated sliding contact," Tribology International, 97, 490-498 (2016).
- Corman, R. E., L. Rao, N. A. Bharadwaj, J. T. Allison, and R. H. Ewoldt, "Setting Material Function Design Targets for Linear Viscoelastic Materials and Structures," Journal of Mechanical Design, 38(5), 051402 (2016).
- Blackwell, B. C. and R. H. Ewoldt, "Non-integer asymptotic scaling of a thixotropic-viscoelastic model in large-amplitude oscillatory shear," Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 227, 80-89 (2016).
- Freund, J. B. and R. H. Ewoldt, "Quantitative rheological model selection: good fits versus credible models using Bayesian inference," Journal of Rheology, 59(3), 667-701 (2015).
- Blackwell, B. C., M. E. Deetjen, J. E. Gaudio, and R. H. Ewoldt, "Sticking and splashing in yield-stress fluid droplet impacts on coated surfaces," Physics of Fluids, 27(4), 043101 (2015).
- Bharadwaj, N. A. and R. H. Ewoldt, "Single-point parallel disk correction for medium-amplitude oscillatory shear," Rheologica Acta, 54(3), 223-233 (2015).
- Bharadwaj, N. A. and R. H. Ewoldt, Constitutive model fingerprints in medium-amplitude oscillatory shear, Journal of Rheology, 59(2), 557-592 (2015).
- Johnston, M. T., W. P. King, and R. H. Ewoldt, Shear stress characteristics of microtextured surfaces in gap-controlled hydrodynamic lubrication, Tribology International, 82, 123-132 (2015).
- Bharadwaj, N. A. and R. H. Ewoldt, "The general low-frequency prediction for asymptotically-nonlinear material functions in oscillatory shear," Journal of Rheology, 58(4), 891-910 (2014).
- Blackwell, B. C. and R. H. Ewoldt, "A simple thixotropic-viscoelastic constitutive model produces unique signatures in large-amplitude oscillatory shear (LAOS)," Journal of Non-Newtonian Fluid Mechanics, 208, 27-41 (2014).
- Ewoldt, R. H., "Extremely soft: Design with rheologically-complex fluids," Soft Robotics, 1(1) 12-20 (2014)
(Invited review for inaugural issue).
- Ewoldt, R. H. and N. A. Bharadwaj, Low-Dimensional Intrinsic Material Functions for Nonlinear Viscoelasticity, Rheologica Acta, 52(3), 201-219 (2013).
- Ewoldt, R.H., Defining Nonlinear Rheological Material Functions for Oscillatory Shear, Journal of Rheology, 57(1) 177195 (2013).
- Ewoldt, R. H., P. Tourkine, G. H. McKinley, and A. E. Hosoi, Controllable Adhesion using Field-activated Fluids, Physics of Fluids, 23, 073104, 2011.
- Hyun, K., M. Wilhelm, C. O. Klein, K. S. Cho, J. G. Nam, K. H. Ahn, S. L. Lee, R. H. Ewoldt, and G. H. McKinley A Review of Nonlinear Oscillatory Shear Tests: Analysis and Application of Large Amplitude Oscillatory Shear (LAOS), Progress in Polymer Science, 36(12), 1697-1753, 2011.
- Celli, J. P., B. S. Turner, N. H. Afdahl, S. Keates, I. Ghiran, C. Kelly, R. H. Ewoldt, G. H. McKinley, P. So, S. Erramilli, and R. Bansil, Helicobacter Pylori Moves Through Mucus by Reducing Mucin Viscoelasticity, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106 (34), 14321-14326, 2009.
- Ewoldt, R. H., A. E. Hosoi, and G.H. McKinley, New Measures for Characterizing Nonlinear Viscoelasticity in Large Amplitude Oscillatory Shear, Journal of Rheology 52(6), 1427-1458, 2008.[highest number of citations among all articles published in Journal of Rheology 2004-present].
- Ewoldt, R. H., C. Clasen, A. E. Hosoi, and G. H. McKinley, Rheological Fingerprinting of Gastropod Pedal Mucus and Synthetic Complex Fluids for Biomimicking Adhesive Locomotion, Soft Matter 3(5), 634-643, 2007.
- TA Instruments Webinar, New Castle, DE, "Experimental challenges of shear rheology: how to avoid bad data," September 15, 2016.
- The Society of Rheology 86th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, "Low-dimensional material functions for describing asymptotically-nonlinear viscoelasticity," October 9, 2014 (Plenary Lecture).
- Brazilian Society of Rheology, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, "Low-dimensional amplitude-intrinsic material functions for nonlinear viscoelasticity," July 10, 2013 (Plenary Lecture).
- Member, The Society of Rheology
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member, American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Rose Award for Teaching Excellence, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
- Collins Fellow of the 2012-2013 AE3 Teaching College, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Presidential Early Career Award for Science and Engineering (PECASE), 2017
- Dean's Award for Research Excellence, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award, The Society of Rheology, 2014
- NSF-CAREER Award, 2014
- 3M Nontenured Faculty Award, 2014
- DuPont Young Professor Award, 2014
- ASME Pi Tau Sigma Gold Medal, 2013
- Doctoral New Investigator Award, American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund, 2013
- Distinguished Young Rheologist Award, TA Instruments, 2013
- Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, Institute for Mathematics and its Applications, 2009-2011 (2009-2011)
- Luis de Florez Award for Outstanding Ingenuity and Creativity, M.I.T., 2009
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2004-2007
- Outstanding Thesis in Fluid Mechanics (Wunsch Foundation Award), M.I.T., 2006
- Cardinal Key Honor Society, Iowa State University, 2004
- Robert C. Fellinger Prize in Thermal Science, Iowa State University, 2004
- Top Graduate in the College of Engineering, Iowa State University, 2004
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, Iowa State University, 2003
- Pride@Boeing Award, employee recognition for exceptional performance, 2002
- Pi Tau Sigma Mechanical Engineering Honor Society, 2002