- Ph.D., Engineering, University of Arkansas, 1998
- M.S., Systems and Control in Agricultural Engineering, Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands, 1992
- B.S., Industrial Automation. Utrecht Polytechnic, The Netherlands, 1987
- Associate Professor, Aug 2008 - date, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Assistant Professor, Aug 2002 - Aug 2008, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, University of Illinois
- Assistant Professor, Aug 1998 - Aug 2002, Department of Biosystems Engineering, Auburn University
- Graduate Research Assistant, 1995-1998, Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering, University of Arkansas
- Research Engineer, 1993-1995, Department of Agricultural Engineering & Physics, Wageningen Agricultural University, The Netherlands
- System Engineer, 1992-1993, Vertis Information Technology, Veendam, The Netherlands
- First Lieutenant Instructor, 1987-1989, Royal Netherlands Airforce
- Advanced machinery for biosystems applications
- Agricultural Robotics
- Biosystems Automation
- Engineering Solutions for Biomass Feedstock Production
- Off-Road Equipment Engineering
Chapters in Books
- Transportation Grift, T. E., Miao, Z., Hansen, A. C. & Ting, K. C. Oct 1 2013 Engineering and Science of Biomass Feedstock Production and Provision. Springer New York, p. 141-164 24 p.
- Lignocellulosic biomass feedstock supply logistics and system integration Miao, Z., Shastri, Y., Grift, T. E. & Ting, K. C. 2013 Biomass Processing, Conversion and Biorefinery. Nova Science Publishers, Inc., p. 37-60 24 p.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Biomass feedstock preprocessing and long-distance transportation logistics Lin, T., Rodrez, L. F., Davis, S., Khanna, M., Shastri, Y., Grift, T., Long, S. & Ting, K. C. Jan 1 2016 In : GCB Bioenergy. 8, 1, p. 160-170 11 p.
- ASABE's student robotics competition is thriving Grift, T. Nov 1 2015 Resource: Engineering and Technology for Sustainable World, 22, 6, p. 17-19 3 p.
- Automated detection of mechanically induced bruise areas in golden delicious apples using fluorescence imagery Chiu, Y. C., Chou, X. L., Grift, T. E. & Chen, M. T. 2015 In : Transactions of the ASABE. 58, 2, p. 215-225 11 p.
- Characterization of mature maize (Zea mays L.) root system architecture and complexity in a diverse set of Ex-PVP inbreds and hybrids Hauck, A. L., Novais, J., Grift, T. E. & Bohn, M. O. Dec 18 2015 In : SpringerPlus. 4, 1, 424
- Design and analysis of a wheel-legged hybrid locomotion mechanism Zheng, C., Liu, J., Grift, T. E., Zhang, Z., Sheng, T., Zhou, J., Ma, Y. & Yin, M. Nov 1 2015 In : Advances in Mechanical Engineering. 7, 11
- Effect of blade oblique angle and cutting speed on cutting energy for energycane stems Mathanker, S. K., Grift, T. E. & Hansen, A. C. May 1 2015 In : Biosystems Engineering. 133, p. 64-70 7 p.
- Measurement of Mechanical Compressive Properties and Densification Energy Requirement of Miscanthus giganteus and Switchgrass Miao, Z., Phillips, J. W., Grift, T. E. & Mathanker, S. K. 2015 In : Bioenergy Research. 8, 1, p. 152-164 13 p.
- A wireless communication system for automated greenhouse operations Chiu, Y. C., Yang, P. Y. & Grift, T. E. 2014 In : Engineering in Agriculture, Environment and Food. 7, 2, p. 78-85 8 p.
- Determining optimal size reduction and densification for biomass feedstock using the BioFeed optimization model Shastri, Y. N., Miao, Z., Rodrez, L. F., Grift, T. E., Hansen, A. C. & Ting, K. C. 2014 In : Biofuels, Bioproducts and Biorefining. 8, 3, p. 423-437 15 p.
- Japanese Society for the Promotion of Sciences (JSPS) Fellowship (2005)
- ASABE Presidential Citation, (T.E. Grift, Award picture). For his exceptional leadership as Resource Magazine Editorial Board Chair (P-513), serving as the guest editor of two landmark, well-received special issues, " Feed the World in 2050," and identifying and working with global thought leaders. (2015)
- ASABE Presidential Citation, 2011 (T.E. Grift, Award picture). For service to the profession and to the Society through his visionary and discerning contributions as guest editor of a special "The Farm of the Future" issue of Resource magazine, January/February (2011)
- EurAgEng Outstanding Paper Award (1 out of 100 papers), 2010 (T.E. Grift, C.M. Crespi, Award picture)
- IET Meeting Paper Award, American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 2003 (T.E. Grift, A.C. Hansen)
- Superior Paper Award (1 out of 40 papers), American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 2003 (T.E. Grift, J.W. Hofstee)
- Superior Paper Award (1 out of 40 papers), American Society of Agricultural Engineers, 2002 (T.E. Grift, J.T. Walker, J.W. Hofstee)
- Ben & Georgeann Jones Excellence in Teaching Award, 2015
- List of teachers ranked as excellent by their students, Fall, 2014