Youssef M A Hashash
John Burkitt Webb Endowed Faculty Scholar
- William J. and Elaine F. Hall Endowed Professor
- John Burkitt Webb Endowed Faculty Scholar
Primary Research Area
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Ph.D. Civil (Geotechnical) Engineering. MIT 1992
- M.S. Civil (Geotechnical) Engineering MIT 1988
- B.S. Civil Engineering Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1987
Professor Youssef Hashash holds a B.S. (1987), an M.S. (1988) and a Ph.D. (1992) in civil engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He began his career with the PB/MK TEAM in Dallas on the Superconducting Super Collider Project. In 1994 he joined Parsons Brinckerhoff in San Francisco and worked on a number of underground construction projects in the U.S. and Canada including the Boston Central Artery/Tunnel project.
Professor Hashash joined the faculty of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1998. He taught courses in Geotechnical Engineering, Numerical Modeling in Geomechanics, Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering, Tunneling in Soil and Rock, and Excavation and Support Systems. His research focus includes deep excavations in urban areas, earthquake engineering, continuum and discrete element modeling and soil-structure interaction. He also works on geotechnical engineering applications of visualization, augmented reality, imaging and drone technologies in. He has published over 80 journal articles and is co-inventor on four patents. His research group developed the software program DEEPSOIL that is used worldwide for evaluation of soil response to earthquake shaking.
Professor Hashash is a Fellow of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and has received a number of teaching, university and professional awards including the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers and the ASCE 2014 Peck medal.
- William J. and Elaine F. Hall Endowed Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering,University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2014-presents
- Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, August 2009-2014
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Aug 2005 -August 2009
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Dec 1997-August 2004
For more information
Other Professional Employment
- Senior Engineer, Parsons Brinckerhoff, San Francisco, California, March 1994-Dec. 1997
- Engineer II, The PB/MK TEAM, Dallas, Texas, June 1992-March 1994
Major Consulting Activities
- California Senate, Sacramento, Panel for review of New Eastern Span of the Bay Bridge, 2014
- Black and Veatch, Chicago, Quarry, 2013-2014
- Ardaman & Associates, I-20 Bridge over Mississippi, 2011
- MRCE, NY, Landfill Reclamation, Lebanon, 2011-2012
- Seattle Public Utilities, Water Storage Reservoir Seismic Analysis 2011-
- Parson Brinkerhoff, CA, Seismic Review Panel, California High Speed Rail Project, 2010-
- ARUP, NY, High Rise building Settlement Evaluation, Mexico City, 2010
- URS, St. Louis, MO, Mississippi River Bridge 2008
- Terracon, Atlanta, GA, Port of Anchorage Expansion 2004-2010
- Arup, San Francisco, CA, Transbay Terminal 2004-2010
- Civil Engineering, Lebanon, 1995-present
- Civil Engineering, California, 1995-present
Dr. Hashash's research interests include deep excavations, tunneling, discrete element modeling, soil constitutive behavior, earthquake engineering, numerical modeling, and soil-structure interaction. He is also involved in the use of visualization and virtual reality techniques in geotechnical engineering applications.
- Geotechnical Engineering
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- Sustainable Underground Infrastructure Development - A report to National Academy of Engineering - Published - 2013
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- Earth Retention Conference 3 (2010), Edited by Richard J. Finno, Ph.D., P.E.; Youssef M. A. Hashash, Ph.D., P.E.; Pedro Arduino, Ph.D., P.E., Geotechnical Special Publications (GSP) 208.
- Design and Construction of Earth Retaining Systems, American Society of Civil Engineers, Geotechnical Special Publication No. 83, 1998, Co-Editors: R.J. Finno, Y. Hashash, C. L. Ho, and B.P. Sweeney.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Qian, Y., Tutumluer, E., Hashash, Y. M., Ghaboussi, J., & Davis, D. D. (2015). Ballast Settlement Ramp to Mitigate Differential Settlement in a Bridge Transition Zone. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, (2476), 45-52.
- Gillis, K., Dashti, S., and Hashash, Y. M., "Dynamic Calibration of Tactile Sensors for Measurement of Soil Pressures in Centrifuge," Geotechnical Testing Journal, Vol. 38, No. 3, 2015, pp. 261274, http://dx.doi.org/10.1520/GTJ20140184. ISSN 0149611501496115
- Ibrahim, H., El-Rayes, K., and Hashash, Y. (2015) "Optimizing the Storage and Transportation of Wheat in Developing Countries," Journal of Applied Engineering in Agriculture, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. 31(4): 669-678. (doi: 10.13031/aea.31.10933)
- Byungmin Kim, Youssef M. A. Hashash, Ellen M. Rathje, Jonathan P. Stewart, Sidao Ni, Paul G. Somerville, Albert R. Kottke, Walter J. Silva, and Kenneth W. Campbell (2016) Subsurface Shear Wave Velocity Characterization Using P-Wave Seismograms in Central and Eastern North America. Earthquake Spectra: February 2016, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 143-169. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1193/123013EQS299M
- Moon, S. and Hashash, Y. (2015). "From Direct Simple Shear Test to Soil Model Development and Supported Excavation Simulation: Integrated Computational-Experimental Soil Behavior Characterization Framework." J. Geotech. Geoenviron. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001351, 04015050.
- Lee, S. J., and Hashash, Y. M. A. (2015) iDEM: An impulse-based discrete element method for fast granular dynamics. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng, 104: 79103. doi: 10.1002/nme.4923.
- Hashash, Y. M. A., N. A. Abrahamson, S. M. Olson, S. Hague and B. Kim (2015). "Conditional Mean Spectra in Site-Specific Seismic Hazard Evaluation for a Major River Crossing in the Central United States." Earthquake Spectra 31(1): 47-69.
- Hashash, Y. A. and M. Romero-Arduz (2014). Seismic Design of Tunnels. Encyclopedia of Earthquake Engineering. M. Beer, I. A. Kougioumtzoglou, E. Patelli and I. S.-K. Au, Springer Berlin Heidelberg: 1-29.
- Muszynski, M. R., S. M. Olson, Y. Hashash and C. Phillips (2014). "Repeatability of Centrifuge Tests Containing a Large, Rigid Foundation Subjected to Lateral Spreading." GEOTECHNICAL TESTING JOURNAL 37(6).
- Qian, Y., Boler, H. Moaveni, M., Tutumluer, E. Hashash, Y. M.A, and Ghaboussi, J. (2014). Characterizing Ballast Degradation through Los Angeles Abrasion Test and Image Analysis Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, D.C. No. 2448, pp. 142-151.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Ibrahim, H., El-Rayes, K., and Hashash Y. (2015) "Optimizing Cooperative Construction of Shared Wheat Storage Facilities," The First International Congress on Post-harvest Loss Prevention, Rome, Italy, October 4-7.
- Seung Jae Lee, Youssef M.A. Hashash, and Eun Hyun Park, (2015) "Large scale simulation of granular materials via impulse-based discrete element method" GeoCongress, ASCE, San Antonio, TX,
- Youssef M. A. Hashash, Mohamad Jammoul, Kaitlyn L Fleming, Stephen McLandrich, Andrew Yeskoo, Nick ORiordan, Pierre Gouvin and Michael Riemer (2015)"Construction Monitoring for the Transbay Transit Center Excavation in San Francisco, California" GeoCongress, ASCE, San Antonio, TX,
- SISSY NIKOLAOU, JOEL L. VOLTERRA, YOUSSEF HASHASH, DOMNIKI ASIMAKI, DIMITRIOS ZEKKOS, (2015) Rapid Geotechnical Reconnaissance Technologies for Multi Hazards, Infrastructure Group Seminar, NYC Met Section, ASCE.
- Qian, Y., Tutumluer, E., Hashash, Y. M.A., and Ghaboussi, J. (2014). Effects of Ballast Degradation on Permanent Deformation Behavior from Large-scale Triaxial Tests Proceedings of the 2014 Joint Rail Conference, April 2-4, 2014, Colorado Springs, CO.
- Magsino, S. L., P. H. Gilbert, S. T. Ariaratnam, N. R. Connery, G. English, C. W. Felice, Y. M. A. Hashash, C. T. Hendrickson, P. P. Nelson, R. L. Sterling, G. J.Tamaro, F. Tonon and S. Spence (2014). Underground Engineering for Sustainable Urban Development. Geo-Congress, Geo-Characterization and Modeling for Sustainability. Atlanta, Georgia, GSP 234 ASCE 2014.
- Hashash, Y. M. A., S. Nikolaou, B. Sukumaran, A. Sacks, M. Burlingame, C. Baxter, A. Bradshaw, L. Wooten, H. Lacy, C. Moss, J. Daraio and T. D. ORourke (2014). Selected Effects of the 2012 Hurricane Sandy along the US East Coast - A Geotechnical Perspective. Geo-Congress, Geo-Characterization and Modeling for Sustainability. Atlanta, Georgia, GSP 235 ASCE 2014 28.
- Hashash, Y. M. A., M. Jammoul, S.-H. Su and S. D. Bhat (2014). Integrating Geotechnical Baseline Reports and Risk Allocation Framework in Geotechnical Engineering Education Geo-Congress, Geo-Characterization and Modeling for Sustainability. Atlanta, Georgia, GSP 234 ASCE 2014.
- Gillis, K., S. Dashti, Y. M. A. Hashash, M.-I. R. Arduz and M. Walker (2014). Dynamic Centrifuge Testing of a Temporary Braced Excavation in Dry Sand. Geo-Congress, Geo-Characterization and Modeling for Sustainability. Atlanta, Georgia, GSP 234 ASCE 2014.
- Asmar, R. and Y. M. A. Hashash (2014). Modified Triaxial Apparatus for Non-Uniform Loading Beyond Frictional Ends. Geo-Congress, Geo-Characterization and Modeling for Sustainability. Atlanta, Georgia, GSP 234 ASCE 2014.
- Geotechnical Dimensions of October 2012 Hurricane Sandy along the US East Coast
- Special Site Conditions in Central and Eastern U.S.
- Geotechnical Aspects of October 2012 Hurricane Sandy along the US East Coast
- 2012 Hurricane Sandy Along the US East Coast: A Geotechnical Perspective
- Geotechnical Engineering Perspective on Sustainability and Resiliency Implications of Hurricane Sandy
- Innovations in Monitoring Technologies for Deep Urban Excavations
- Current Issues in Evaluation of Seismic Site Effects
- Innovations in Modeling and Monitoring Technologies for Response of Deep Urban Excavations
- 2012 Hurricane Sandy along the US East Coast: A Geotechnical Perspective
- Modeling techniques for nonlinear site response; Developments, limitations and future directions
- Towards an Integrated Computational-Experimental Laboratory Testing Framework for Soil Behavior Characterization and Modeling, No: 0856322, NSF CMMI Engineering Research and Partnership Conference, 2012, Boston, MA, Poster
- NEESR: SEISMIC RESPONSE OF SHALLOW UNDERGROUND STRUCTURES IN DENSE URBAN ENVIRONMENTS, Quake Summit 2012, Boston, MA, Poster
- Lateral Spreading-Induced Pressures against a Large, Rigid Foundation, Quake Summit 2012, Boston, MA, Poster
- Olson, S., Hashash Y., M.A., M, Muszynski, Phillips, C. (2011)Preliminary Results of Centrifuge and OpenSees Modeling of Lateral Spreading Pressures Against a Large, Rigid Foundation Presented by Mark Muszynski at the 24th SAGEEP Conference, April 12, 2011
- Olson, S., Hashash Y., M.A., M, Muszynski, Phillips, C. (2011) Measuring Pressures in the Geotechnical Centrifuge Using Tactile Pressure Pads Presented by Prof. Olson at the 7th Annual NEES Centrifuge Research and Training Workshop at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, May 17, 2011
- Olson, S., Hashash Y., M.A., M, Muszynski, Phillips, C. (2010) Centrifuge Testing and Parallel Numerical Simulations of Lateral Pressures Measured Against a Rigid Caisson Presented by S. Olson at Quake Summit 2010, October 9, 2010
- Olson, S., Hashash, Y. M.A., M, Muszynski, Phillips, C. (2009) University of Illinois Centrifuge Testing at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Investigating Lateral Earth Pressures Against a Rigid Caisson as a Result of Lateral Spreading Presented by Prof. Olson at UC Davis, September 10, 2009
- Olson, S., Hashash, Y. M.A., M, Muszynski, Phillips, C. (2009) NEES annual meeting presentation on NEESR-SG: Soil Improvement Strategies to Mitigate Impact of Seismic Ground Failures via Novel Integration of Experiment and Simulation 18-21 June, Portland, Oregon.
- Hashash, Y.M.A. and J. Ghaboussi. SelfSim: A NOVEL APPROACH TO EXTRACT COMPLEX MATERIAL BEHAVIOR USING BOUNDARY LOAD-DISPLACEMENT MEASUREMENTS. in NASA Workshop on Granular Materials in Lunar and Martian Exploration. 2005. Kennedy Space Center, Florida.
- Two EERI articles, once on ANSS and one on Tohokou earthquake
- Andrew Liu, Farhang Ostadan, and Youssef Hashash (2010) Current Practice in Seismic Design of Earth Retaining Structures, to appear, GeoStrata
- (2010) The World's 18 Strangest Tunnels: Gallery, by Chris Sweeney, published online in Popular Mechanics. Prof. Hashash is heavily quoted in this article based on an interview with Chris Sweeney.
- Hashash, Y.M.A., Quis-Rozo, C.A., Groholski, D.R. (2009). "Tracking of Excavation Activities by Laser Scanning and Image Reasoning-based Techniques." Geotechnical Instrumentation News, March.
- (2007) "Understanding Ballast Behavior," Railway Track and Structures magazine, August Issue http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/sb/rts0807/
- Hashash, Y. M. and C. Marulanda (2003). Temperature correction and strut loads interpretation in Central artery Excavations. Geotechnical News. 21: 30-31.
- Schmidt, B., Hashash, Y.M.A. and Stimac, T. "US immersed tube retrofit" by, Pages 22-24, in Tunnels & Tunneling International, November 1998 (Vol 30, No. 11).
- Hashash, Y.M.A., Schmidt, B., and Stimac, T., "Unique Ground Improvement Designs for Seismic Retrofit of Posey and Webster Street Tubes," Parsons Brinckerhoff, PB Network, Fall 1997, Issue No. 40, pp. 24-26.
- Hashash, Y.M.A., Rawnsely, R.P., and Whittle, A.J., "Finite Element Analysis of Excavation Performance," Parsons Brinckerhoff, PB Network, Fall 1996, Issue No. 36, p. 31.
- Hashash, Y.M.A., Schmidt, B., and Abramson, L.W., "BART Tunnel Monitoring During MUNI Tunnel Construction," Geotechnical News, June 1995. Translated into Chinese, San Lien Technics, Vol. 38, 1996.
- Associate Editor, Tunneling and Underground Space Technology 2010-current
- Geotechnical Informatics specialty editor, Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 2008-current
- Editorial Board Member, Computers and Geotechnics, 2007-current
- Advisory Board Member, International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 2007-current
- Editor, Special Issue, Computers and Geotechnics 2007
- Editorial Board Member, ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, 2004-current
- Editorial Board Member Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- 2014-current Associate Editor, Journal of Earthquake Engineering
- 2014-current Member of Board of Governors, GeoInstitute of ASCE
- Session Moderator: Seismic Earth Pressures on Retaining Structures and Basement Walls, Speaker: Nicholas Sitar Session Moderator: Braced Excavations in Soft Soils, Speaker: Demetrious C. Koutsoftas, P.E. Session Moderator: Seismic design of retaining Structure 2012 GeoCongress, Oakland, Ca, March 2012
- Session moderator, Geotechnical Issues, 9th International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering/ 4th Asia Conference on Earthquake Engineering, March 6-8, 2012, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan. Tokyo, Japan.
- Session co-moderator, Breakout Session 2c: Geotechnical Engineering, E-Defense/NEES collaboration on Underground Structures testing, 2010 Quake Summit, San Francisco, CA
- 2008-2010 Chair, Earth Retaining Structures Conference ER 2010 held in Bellevue, WA. This is a conference held once every 20 years and is a landmark conference in the area of retention structures
- EERI/FEMA 2005-2006 graduate fellowship selection committee, 2005
- American Society of Civil Engineers : Session co-Chair, Breakout session T1d Underground Structures GEESD IV, Tuesday, 2008, Sacramento, California.
- American Society of Civil Engineers : Session co-chair, Earth Retaining Structure, 10:30-12:0 Monday Feb 19 2007, GeoDenver, Denver Colorado.
Service on Department Committees
- Chair, CEE Faculty Search Committee 2015-2016
- Promotion and Tenure Committee 2015-current
- Faculty Search Committee, CEE, Geotechnical Group, Fall 2002-Spring 2003
- Faculty Search Committee, CEE, Transportation Division, Spring 2000
- Physics Liaison Committee, Fall 1999, Spring 2000, Fall 2000, till present
- Curriculum Committee, CEE, Fall 1999, Spring 2000, Fall 2000
- Outcomes Assessment, Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, Spring 1999
- Computer Support Committee, Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, Fall 1998, Spring 1999, Fall 1999, Spring 2000, Fall 2000, current, Chair 2006-current
- Information Technology Committee, Civil & Environmental Engineering Department, Summer 2001, Fall 2001, Spring 2002, current
Service on College Committees
- 2015 Dean's Committee of new CS Marketing specialty degree
- 2011-2012 Engineering Facilty Leadership Forum
- Fall 2011 Dean's Committee on Curriculum review of Technology and Management Program Review, a joint program between the College of Engineering and College of Business
Service on Campus Committees
- Alternate Campus Represntative to Dr. M. Loots, Campus represntative on Board of Great Lakes Consortium for Petascale Computation, 2010-current
Service to Federal and State Government
- 2014-NSF proposal review panel
- 2012 - NSF proposal review panel
- 2011- NSF proposal review panel
- National Academies - National Research Council - member - Committee on Underground Engineering for Sustainable Development 2010-2012
- Coordinator of the Geotechnnical Working Group for "Next Generation Attenuation Relationship for Central and Eastern U.S.", through Pacific Earthquake Engineering Research (PEER) Center sponsored by Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), Department of Energy (DOE), U.S. Geologic Survery (USGS) and Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI). Responsible for coordinating $1 million of research activity. The product of the group will affect the seismic hazard maps of US east of the Rockies.
- Technical Reviewer - Project on : Improved Procedures for Characterizing and Modeling Soil-Structure Interaction for Performance-Based Seismic Engineering - Advanced Technology Council (ATC-83) NEHRP Consultant Joint Venture Task Order 10, for NIST. 2010-2012
- Steering Committee, TURKEY FLAT, USA SITE EFFECTS TEST AREA, Strong-Motion Test, California Geologic Survey, 2004-2006. Carl Stepp (chair), Earthquake Hazards Solutions; C.Y. Chang, Geomatrix Consultants; Brian Chiou, California Department of Transportation; Chris Cramer, U.S. Geological Survey; I.M. Idriss, University of California, Davis; Marshall Lew, MACTEC Engineering & Consulting Inc; Maurice Power, Geomatrix Consultants; Charles Real, California Geological Survey; Wolfgang Roth, URS Corporation; Anthony Shakal, California Geological Survey; Jonathan Stewart, University of California, Los Angeles;
- Advanced National Seismic System (ANSS) National Steering Committee, Earthquake Hazards Program, US Geologic Survey: i. Alternate Member representing Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, 2001-2006 ii. Member, 2006- present
- USGS NEHRP Earthquake Effects review panel, August 2008.
- USGS NEHRP Earthquake Effects review panel, August 2007.
Other Outside Service
- 2015 co-leader GEER team to investigated the aftermath of Nepal Earthquake
- 2012 - Presentation on Geotechnical Engineering and Field Visit of Newmark Civil Engineering Laboratory (Mar 13, 2012) to 4th and 5th grade classes of Next Generation Elementary School
- 2011- Presentation on Japan Earthquake with hands on experience, Next Generation School, Grade 1 & 3 classes.
- 2011-Spring Newspaper interview and quotation, San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/transportation/2011/03/corroding-muni-tunnels-have-never-been-seismically-tested
- Keynote speech, Order of Engineering Initiation Ceremony, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Spring 2010
- 2010 - Presentation on Chile Earthquake, Next Generation School, Kindergarten and Grade 2 classes.
- Newspaper interview, Daily Illini, Dec 2005, Pakistan Earthquake.
- Newspaper interview, News Gazette, Nov 2005, Pakistan Earthquake.
- Radio Interview, WILL, Nov 2005, Pakistan Earthquake.
- Television Interview with WCIA, Nov 2005, Paksitan Earthquake.
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their students (Spring 2011)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their students (Spring 2010)
- 2010 Outstanding Advisors List (May 3, 2010)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent (Fall 2009)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent (Spring 2009)
- 2009 Outstanding Advisors List (April 28, 2009)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent (Spring 2008)
- Informal recognition, (May 2, 2007)
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent (Fall 2006)
- 2006 Collins Award for Innovation in Teaching, College of Engineering, UIUC (2006)
- 2014 Peck Medal, Geo-Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (2014)
- 2012 Japan-American Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, Irvine, CA (2012)
- CEE Research Innovation Grant (2011-2012)
- 2009 Xerox Award for Faculty Research, UIUC (2009)
- 2006 Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize, ASCE (2006)
- 2005-2006 National Center for Supercomputing Applications Faculty Fellow (NCSA) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. (2005)
- 2003 Xerox Award for Faculty Research, UIUC (2003)
- 2002-2003 Beckman Fellow, Center for Advanced Studies, UIUC (2002)
- 2001-2003 American Bridge Faculty Scholar Award, CEE, UIUC (2001)
- 2000 Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, President of the United Sates of America, William J. Clinton. (2000)
Public Service Honors
- Chi-Epsilon Honorary member, University of Illinois Chapter (2014)
- Computer and Geotechnics editor award (2009)
- 2006 Committee of the Year Award, ASCE Geo-Institute, (2006)