- Ph.D., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2011
- M.S., Chemical Engineering, California Institute of Technology, 2006
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Oklahoma State University, 2004
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Mechanical Science and Engineering, 2014 - present
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Polymer Science and Engineering, 2012-2014
- soft materials
- small scale mechanical characterization
- cellular solids
- active materials
- Solid Mechanics & Materials
Chapters in Books
- Hutchens, S. B., S. Pathak,(ed.), and B. Bhushan, Vertically aligned carbon nanotubes, Collective mechanical behavior, Encyclopedia of Nanotechnology, (2012).
Selected Articles in Journals
- Movahed, P., W. Kreider, A. Maxwell, S. B. Hutchens, and J. Freund, "Cavitation-induced damage of soft materials by focused ultrasound bursts: a fracture-based bubble dynamics model," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., 140, 137-1386 (2016).
- Hutchens, S.B., S. Fakhouri, and A. J. Crosby, "Elastic cavitation and fracture via injection," Soft Matter, (2016) DOI: 10.1039/c5sm02055g.
- Liu, Y., Y. Chen, S. B. Hutchens, J. Lawrence, T. Emrick, and A. J. Crosby, "Directly measuring the complete stress-strain response of ultrathin polymer films," Macromolecules, 48 (18), 6534-6540 (2015).
- Fakhouri, S. M., S. B. Hutchens, A. J. Crosby, "Puncture Mechanics of Soft Solids," Soft Matter, 11, 4723-4730 (2015).
- Hutchens, S. B. and A. J. Crosby, "Soft-solid deformation at the tip of an embedded needle," Soft Matter, 100, 3670-3684 (2014).
- Needleman, A., S. B. Hutchens, N. Mohan, and J.R. Greer, "Deformation of plastically compressible hardening-softening-hardening solids," Acta Mech. Sin., 28, 1115-1124 (2012).
- Hutchens, S. B., E. Decolvenaere, S. Pathak, and J. R. Greer, "Uncovered - Nanoshearing:
Collective carbon nanotube micromechanics," Materials Today, 15 (2012).
- Hutchens, S. B., A. Needleman, and J. R. Greer, "A microstructurally motivated description of the deformation of vertically aligned carbon nanotube structures," Appl. Phys. Lett., 100, 121910 (2012).
- Hutchens, S. B., A. Needleman, and J. R. Greer, Analysis of uniaxial compression of vertically aligned carbon nanotubes, J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 59, 2227-2237 (2011).
- Hutchens, S. B. and Z.-G. Wang, Metastable cluster intermediates in the nucleation of charged macromolecule solutions, J. Chem. Phys., 127, 084912 (2007).
- NSF CAREER Award (2017)
- Quadrant Award (January 2013)
- Demetriades-Tsafka-Kokkalis Prize (May 2011)
- NSF CAREER Workshop, Northeastern University. (Apr. 27-28, 2015)