Primary Research Area
- Nanotechnology - Nano-materials
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Brown University, 1983
Synthesis and development of tailored organometallic, inorganic and polymeric precursors to deposit nanoscale materials, such as thin films, nanoparticles and nanowires of metals and ceramics, and micro and nano-spheres of biomaterials, via sol-gel processing, flow-limited field emission electrostatic spray (FFESS) deposition, and chemical vapor deposition (CVD) for applications including dye-sensitized solar cells and display devices, and via precision particle fabrication (PPF) technology for advanced drug delivery systems and encapsulation of cells, especially islets for the treatment of type I diabetes.
- Electronic and optical materials: electronic, optical and magnetic materials for various devices involving thin films, micro and nano particles, and nanowires/tubes of metals, and metal nitrides and oxides utilizing their electronic, optical, optoelectronic, and magnetic properties.
- Thin film and nanoparticle fabrication: Thin films, micro and nano particles, and nanowires/tubes via sol-gel processing, charged liquid cluster beam (CLCB) deposition, chemical vapor deposition (CVD), chemical solution deposition (CSD), and precision particle fabrication (PPF) technology.
- Precursors for Nanoscale materials synthesis: Syntheses and development of tailored organometallic, inorganic and polymeric precursors
- Bio-materials: micro and nano spheres/capsules of biodegradable/compatible materials for advance drug delivery, tissue engineering, and cell encapsulation.
Selected Articles in Journals
- P. E. Heil, H. Kang, H. Choi, and K. Kim, "Effects of controlled surface treatment on titanium dioxide electrode nanostructure for dye-sensitized solar cells, Appl. Phys. A 112 (2013) 371-380.
- G. Kulsharova, M. Lee, F. Cheng, M. Haque, H. Choi, K. Kim, W. O'Brien, Jr, and G. L. Liu, "In vitro and in vivo imaging of peptide-encapsulated polymer nanoparticles for cancer biomarker activated drug delivery", IEEE Trans NanoBioscience 12 (2013) 304-310.
- I.-Y. Kim, P. L. Pusey, Y. Zhao, S. S. Korban, H. Choi, K. Kim, Controlled release of Pantoea agglomerans E325 for biocontrol of fire blight disease of apple, J. Control. Release 161(2012) 109-115.
- F. Cheng, Y. B. Choy, H. Choi and K. Kim, Modeling of small-molecule release from crosslinked hydrogel microspheres: Effect of crosslinking and enzymatic degradation of hydrogel matrix, Int. J. Pharm., 403 (2011) 90 95.
- Y.-C. Jin, S.-W. Kim, F. Cheng, J.-H. Shin, J.-K. Park, S. Lee, J.-E. Lee, P.-L. Han, M. Lee, K. Kim, H. Choi, J.-K. Lee, The effect of biodegradable gelatin microspheres on the neuroprotective effects of high mobility group box 1 A box in the postischemic brain, Biomaterials 32 (2011) 899 908.
- W. Gu, P. E. Heil, H. Choi, and K. Kim, Generation of stable multi-jets by flow-limited field-injection electrostatic spraying and their control via I-V characteristics, J. Physics D: Applied Physics, 43 (2010) 492001
- Y. B. Choy, H. Choi, and K. Kim, "Uniform Ethyl Cellulose Microspheres of Controlled Sizes and Polymer Viscosities and Their Drug Release Profiles", J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 2009, 112(2), 850-857.
- Y. B. Choy, F. Cheng, H. Choi, and K. Kim, Uniform Chitosan Microspheres for Potential Application to Colon-Specific Drug Delivery", Macromol. Biosci. 2008, 8, 11731181.
- C. Kim, W. Gu, M. Briceno, I. M. Robertson, H. Choi, and K. Kim, Copper Nanowires with Five-Twinned Structure Grown by Chemical Vapor Deposition Adv. Mater. 2008, 20, 18591863.
- Y. B. Choy, F. Cheng, H. Choi, and K. Kim "Monodisperse Gelatin Microspheres as a Drug Delivery Vehicle: Release Profile and Effect of Cross-Linking Density", Macromol. Biosci. 2008, 8, 758765.
- W. Gu, H. Choi, and K. Kim, "A Quantum Mechanical Theory for Single Molecule-Single Nanoparticle Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering, J. Phys. Chem. A 2007, 111, 8121-8125.
- W. Gu, P. E. Heil, H. Choi, and K. Kim, "Comprehensive model for fine Coulomb fission of liquid droplets charged to Rayleigh limit Comprehensive model for fine Coulomb fission of liquid droplets charged to Rayleigh limit", Appl. Phys. Lett. 2007, 91, 064104.
- Y. B. Choy, H. Choi, and K. Kim, "Fabrication of uniform biodegradable hydrogel microspheres by a surfactant-free electric-field-assisted method," Macromol. Biosci. 2007, 7, 423-428.
- W. Gu, H. Choi, and K. Kim,"Universal approach to accurate resistivity measurement for a single nanowire: Theory and application", Appl. Phys. Lett. 2006, 89, 253102.
- Microparticles, K. Kim, H. Choi, Y. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 8,409,621 B2, 2013
- High Intensity Discharge ARC Lamp Using UV-Absorbant Coating, K. Kim, J. Gao, H. Choi, R. P. Singh, U.S. Patent No. 8,469,762 B2, 2013.
- Apparatus and Methods for Applying a Film on a Substrate, K. Kim, H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 8,507,048 B2, 2013.
- Apparatuses and Methods for Applying One or More Materials on One or More Substrates, K. KIM, H. Choi, P. E. Heil, U. S. Patent No. 8,342,120 B2, 2013.
- Encapsulated Materials and Methods for Encapsulating Materials, K. Kim, and H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 8,293,271 B2, 2012.
- Electron Emission Device Incorporating Free Standing Monocrystalline Nanowires, H. Choi, K. Kim, U. S. Patent No. 8,030,833 B2, 2011.
- Apparatus and Method for Applying a Film on a Substrate, K. Kim, H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 8,025025 B2, 2011.
- Organometallic Compounds and Their Use as a Precursors for Forming Films and Powders of Metal or Metal Derivatives, H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 7,507,390, 2009.
- "Nanostructures Including A Metal," H. Choi, PCT 10/664,431(US), 2003; U. S. Patent No. 7,344,753, 2008.
- "Microparticles," K. Kim, H. Choi, and Y. B. Choy, U. S. Patent No. 7,309,500, 2007.
- "Organometallic Compounds and their use as Precursors for Forming Films, and Powders of Metal or Metal Derivatives," H. Choi, China Patent Pub. No. 101139365, 2008; Korean Patent Pub. No. 1020030028767, 2003; European Patent Pub. No. 1299404 (A1), 2003; U. S. Patent No. 6,777,565, 2004.
- "Organocopper Precursors for Chemical Vapor Deposition," H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 6,538,147, 2003.
- "Amidoalane Precursors for Chemical Vapor Deposition of Aluminum", H. Choi, U. S. Patent No. 5,880,303, 1999.
- Arnold O. Beckman Research Award, 2012
- Arnold O. Beckman Research Award, 2006