Iwona M Jasiuk
Primary Research Area
- Ph.D. TAM Northwestern University 1986
- M. S. Structural Mechanics University of Illinois at Chicago 1982
- B. S. Structural Engineering University of Illinois at Chicago 1980
- Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, January 1, 2006-present.
- Professor, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada, July 1, 2004 December 31, 2005
- Professor, The Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, June 1, 2002 June 30, 2004
- Associate Professor, The Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, September 1, 1996 May 31, 2002
- Associate Professor, Materials Science and Mechanics Department, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, June 1, 1992 August 31, 1996
- Assistant Professor, Metallurgy, Mechanics and Materials Science Department, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, September 1, 1986 May 31, 1992
For more information
- Professional Engineers of Ontario License, June 2006
- Engineer-in-training, Illinois, 1979
Professor Jasiuk develops research-based models to explain the structure and behavior of man-made and biological materials. Her work with man-made materials aims at understanding why the properties of composites made with nano-sized particles differ from those made with micro-sized particles. She is particularly interested in the interface that surrounds such particles and comes into contact with the surrounding material, and how this interface contributes to the shape, size and boundary conditions of composites as a whole.
Professor Jasiuk is also studying novel high voltage and high temperature materials for energy transfer, aerospace, and other industrial applications. More specifically, she is conducting a multiscale characterization of the structure, composition and material properties (mechanical, electrical, thermal) of metal and polymer matrix composite materials and she is modeling these materials analytically and computationally.
Her work with biological materials focuses on bone. One ongoing project aims to explain the underlying mechanisms that cause osteoporotic bone to break. Using electromicroscopy, Professor Jasiuk has successfully characterized the physical structure of normal bone and osteoporotic bone at different structural scales. After finding no significant structural differences between normal and diseased bone at either scale, she has redirected her efforts to identify chemical and mechanical differences in these two bone types that might lead to the development of non-invasive techniques that can be used within a clinical setting to characterize and compare the chemical structure of normal and osteoporotic bone. This research is complemented the multiscale characterization and modeling of the structure, composition and mechanical bone as a function of age.
Two recent projects with other researchers also involved bone. Professor Jasiuk and Jo Ann Cameron, associate professor of cell and developmental biology at the Institute for Genomic Biology, used frogs as a model to study limb regeneration. Frogs make a good model, because tadpoles regenerate lost limbs on their own while mature frogs do not. Yet, if an adult frog is missing a large piece of bone, implanting a synthetic scaffold will encourage the natural bone to grow back. Professors Jasiuk and Cameron studied the chemical and mechanical stimuli that are involved in both types of regeneration and to determine what, if any, differences there are between such stimuli in young frogs versus older frogs.
Professor Jasiuk has also teamed up with John Dantzig, now an emeritus professor in the Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, to study the effects of solid and fluid phases of bone on bone remodeling. Together, the two professors were investigating how bone remodeling is influenced by mechanical and biological stimuli and how these stimuli influence the properties of the resulting bone.
Graduate Research Opportunities
I have an opening for one Ph.D. graduate student.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Several projects in the area of characterization and modeling of materials are available.
- Fracture mechanics
- Bone mechanics
- Biological materials
- Composite materials
- Mechanics of materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- Karimi, P., M. Ostoja-Starzewski, and I. Jasiuk (2016), "Experimental and computational study of shielding effectiveness of polycarbonate carbon nanocomposites," Journal of Applied Physics, 120, 145103-1-11.
- Bakir, M., J.L. Meyer, J. Economy, and I. Jasiuk (2016), Heat Induced Polycondensation Reaction with Self-generated Blowing Agent Forming Aromatic Thermosetting Copolyester Foams, Macromolecules, 49 (17), 6484-6496.
- OConnor, D.T., K.I. Elkhodary, Y. Fouad, M.S. Greene, F.A. Sabet, J.Qian, Y. Zhang, W.K. Liu, and I. Jasiuk (2016), Modeling Orthotropic Elasticity, Localized Plasticity and Fracture in Trabecular Bone, Computational Mechanics, 58 (3), 423-439.
- Kale, S., F. A. Sabet, I. Jasiuk, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2016), Effect of Filler Alignment on Percolation in Polymer Nanocomposites using Tunneling Percolation Model Percolation, Journal of Applied Physics 120, 045105.
- Dalaq, A. S., D. W. Abueidda, R. K. Abu Al-Rub, and I. Jasiuk (2016), Finite Element Prediction of Effective Elastic Properties of Interpenetrating Phase Composites with Architectured 3D Sheet Reinforcements, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 83, 169-182.
- Abueidda, D.W., R. K. Abu Al-Rub, A. S. Dalaq, D.-W. Lee, K. A. Khan, and I. Jasiuk (2016), Effective Conductivities and Elastic Moduli of Foams with Triply Periodic Minimal Surfaces, Mechanics of Materials, 95, 102-115.
- Sabet, F., A. N. Raeisi, E. Hamed, and I. Jasiuk (2016), Multiscale Modeling of Bone Fracture and Strength A Review, Interface Focus, 6 (1), 20150055.
- Kale, S., F. A. Sabet, I. Jasiuk, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2015), Percolation Behavior of Polydisperse Prolate and Oblate Ellipsoids, Journal of Applied Physics 118, 154306.
- Idkaidek, A. and I. Jasiuk (2015), Towards a High Speed 3D Nonlinear Soft Tissue Deformation Simulation using Abaqus Software, Journal of Robotic Surgery 9, 299-310.
- Abueidda, D.W., A. S. Dalaq, R. K. Abu Al-Rub, and I. Jasiuk (2015), Micromechanical Finite Element Predictions of a Reduced Coefficient of Thermal Expansion for 3D Periodic Architectured Interpenetrating Phase Composites, Composite Structures 133, 85-97.
- Hamed, E., E. Novitskaya, J. Li, I. Jasiuk, and J. McKittrick (2015), "Experimentally-based Multiscale Model of the Elastic Modulus of Trabecular Bone and its Constituents," Materials Science and Engineering C 54, 207-216.
- Chittenden, M., A. R. Najafi, J. Li, and I. Jasiuk (2015), "Nanoindentation and Ash Content Study of Developing Porcine Cortical Bone," Journal of Mechanics in Medicine and Biology 15 (5), 1550074.
- Lee, W. and I. Jasiuk (2014), Effects of FreezeThaw and Micro-Computed Tomography Irradiation on StructureProperty Relations of Porcine Trabecular Bone, Journal of Biomechanics 47, 1495-1498.
- Setters, A. and I. Jasiuk (2014), Towards a Standardized Reference Point Indentation Testing Procedure, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 34, 57-65.
- Burks, B., T. Wells, A. M. Setters, I. Jasiuk, and M. Kumosa (2013), The Effect of Ozone and High Temperature on Polymer Degradation in Polymer Core Composite Conductors Polymer Degradation and Stability, Polymer Degradation and Stability, 98 (11), 2282-2290.
- Lee, Y.-H. and I. Jasiuk (2013), Apparent Elastic Properties of Random Fiber Networks," Computational Materials Science 79, 715-723.
- Hamed, E. and I. Jasiuk (2013), Multiscale damage and strength of lamellar bone modeled by cohesive finite elements, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 28, 94-110.
- Cameron, J.A., D.J. Milner, J.S. Lee, J. Cheng, N.X. Fang, and I. Jasiuk (2013), Employing the biology of successful fracture repair to heal critical size bone defects, Current topics in microbiology and immunology, 367, 113-132.
- Jast, J. and I. Jasiuk (2013), Age-related Changes in the 3D Hierarchical Structure of Rat Tibia Cortical Bone Characterized by High Resolution Micro-CT, Journal of Applied Physiology, 114, (7), 923-933.
- Rasoulian, R., A. Raeisi Najafi, M. Chittenden, and I. Jasiuk (2013), Reference point indentation study of age-related changes in porcine femoral cortical bone, Journal of Biomechanics, 46, 1689-1696.
- Middleton, J., B. Burks, T. Wells, A. M. Setters, I. Jasiuk, P. Predecki, J. Hoffman, and M. Kumosa (2013), "The Effect of Ozone on Polymer Degradation in Polymer Core Composite Conductors," Polymer Degradation and Stability, 98, 436-445.
- Schreader, K.J., I. Bayer, D. J. Milner, E. Loth, and I. Jasiuk (2012), "A Polyurethane-based Nanocomposite Biocompatible Bone Adhesive," Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 127, 4974-4982.
- Chittenden, M., J. Feng, J. Schrider, M. Dickinson, and I. Jasiuk (2012), "Mechanical Properties of Porcine Femoral Cortical Bone Measured by Nanoindentation," Journal of Biomechanics, 45(10), 1775-1782.
- Hamed, E. and I. Jasiuk (2012), "Elastic Modeling of Bone at Nanostructural Level," Materials Science and Engineering R, 73(3-4), 27-49.
- Youkhanna, D., D. J. Griffon, P. Fredericks, D. Shaeffer, T. M. Fan, and I. M. Jasiuk (2012), "Bone Resorption Markers and Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry in Dogs with Avascular Necrosis, Degenerative Joint Disease and Trauma of the Coxofemoral Joint," Veterinary Surgery, 41 (5), 551-558.
- Hamed, E., Y. Lee, T. Liszka, and I. Jasiuk (2012), "Multiscale Modeling of Elastic Moduli of Trabecular Bone," Journal of the Royal Society Interface, 9 (72), 1654-1673.
- Ambekar, R., M. Chittenden, I. Jasiuk, and K.C. Touissant (2012), "Investigation of Age-Related Structural Changes in Porcine Cortical Bone using Quantitative Second-Harmonic Generation Microscopy," Bone, 50, 643-650.
- Hamed, E., E. Novitskaya, J. Li, P.-Y. Chen, I. Jasiuk, and J. McKittrick (2012), "Elastic Moduli of Untreated, Demineralized, and Deproteinized Cortical Bone: Experiments and Modeling," Acta Biomaterialia, 8, 1080-1092.
- Chennimalai Kumar, N., J.A. Dantzig, and I. Jasiuk (2012), "Modeling of Cortical Bone Adaptation in a Rat Ulna: Effect of Frequency," Bone, 50, 792-797.
- Novitskaya, E. E., P.-Y. Chen, E. Hamed, J. Li, V. Lubarda, I. Jasiuk, and J. McKittrick (2011), "Recent Advances on the Measurement and Calculation of the Elastic Moduli of Cortical and Trabecular Bone: A Review," Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Journal, 38(3), 209-303.
- Chennimalai Kumar, N., I. Jasiuk, and J. A. Dantzig (2011), “Dissipation Energy as a Stimulus for Cortical Bone Adaptation,” Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, 6, 303-319.
- Hussainova, I., I. Jasiuk, X. Du, and M. Antonov (2011), "Characterization of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Cermets at Micro- and Macro- scales," Int. J. Materials and Product Technology, 40, 58-74.
- Feng, L., D. J. Milner, C. Xia, H.L.D. Nye, P. Redwood, J. A. Cameron, D.L. Stocum, N. Fang, and I. Jasiuk, "Xenopus Laevis as A Novel Model to Study Long Bone Critical-Size Defect Repair by Growth Factor-Mediated Regeneration," Tissue Engineering A, 17(5-6), 691-701, 2011.
- Feng, L., and I. Jasiuk (2011), "Multiscale Characterization of Swine Femoral Cortical Bone," Journal of Biomechanics, 44(2), 313-320.
- Feng, L. and I. Jasiuk (2010), “Effect of Specimen Geometry on Tensile Strength of Cortical Bone,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A, 95A(2), 580-587.
- Hussainova, I., E. Hamed, and I. Jasiuk (2010), "Nanoindentation Testing and Modeling of Chromium-Carbide Based Composites," Mechanics of Composite Materials, 46, 667-678.
- Hamed, E., Y. Lee, and I. Jasiuk (2010), "Multiscale Modeling of Elastic Properties of Cortical Bone," Acta Mechanica, 213, 131-154.
- Chennimalai Kumar, N., J. A. Dantzig, I. Jasiuk, A. G. Robling, and C.H. Turner (2010), “Numerical Modeling of Long Bone Adaptation due to Mechanical Loading: Correlation With Experiments,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 38, 594-604.
- Wang, C., L. Feng, and I. Jasiuk (2009), “Scale and Boundary Conditions Effects on Apparent Elastic Moduli of Trabecular Bone modelled as a Periodic Cellular Network,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 131, 121008-1-11.
- Hussainova, I., I. Jasiuk, M. Sardela, and M. Antonov (2009), "Micro-Mechanical Properties and Erosive Wear Performance of Chromium Carbide Based Cermets,” Wear, 267, 152-159.
- Turner, C.H., S.J. Warden, T. Bellido, L.I. Plotkin, N. Kumar, I. Jasiuk, J. Dantzig, and A.G. Robling (2009), “Mechanobiology of the Skeleton,” Science Signaling, 2(68), pt3 1-4.
- Jasiuk, I. (2009), “Stress Invariance and Exact Relations in Mechanics of Composite Materials: Extensions of the CLM results – A Review,” Mechanics of Materials, 41, 394-404.
- Jordan, J., I. Jasiuk, and A. Zubelewicz (2008), “New Micromechanics-based Technique for Solving a Concentrated Force on a Half Plane,” Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures, 3, 697-705.
- Tannenbaum, R., M. Zubris, K. David, D. Cipriani, K. Jacob, I. Jasiuk, and N. Dan (2006), “Characterization of the Reactive Interface of Cobalt Oxide Nanoparticles Embedded in Polymeric Matrices,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 110, 2227-2232.
- Yoo, A. and I. Jasiuk (2006), “Couple-Stress Moduli of a Trabecular Bone Idealized as a 3D Periodic Cellular Network,” Journal of Biomechanics, 39, 2241-2252.
- Rubin, M. and I. Jasiuk (2005), “The TEM Characterization of the Lamellar Structure of Osteoporotic Human Trabecular Bone,” Micron, 36, 653-664.
- Jordan, J., K. Jacob, R. Tannenbaum, M. Sharaf, and I. Jasiuk (2005), "Experimental Trends in Polymer-Matrix Nanocomposites – A Review,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 393, 1-11.
- Jasiuk, I. and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2004), “Modeling of Bone at a Single Lamella Level,” Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 3, 67-74.
- Taylor, J. and I. Jasiuk (2004), “Technical Note on the Preparation of Un-decalcified Trabecular Bone for Examination by TEM,” Microscopy Today, Microscopy 101, 44.
- Rubin, M. A., J. Rubin, and I. Jasiuk (2004), “SEM and TEM Study of the Hierarchical Structure of C3H/HeJ and C57BL/6J Mice Trabecular Bone,” Bone, 35, 11-20.
- Jasiuk, I. and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2003), “On the Reduction of Constants in Planar Cosserat Elasticity with Eigenstrains and Eigencurvatures,” Journal of Thermal Stresses, 26, 1221-1228.
- Rubin, M. A., I. Jasiuk, J. Taylor, J. Rubin, T. Ganey, and R. Apkarian (2003), “TEM Analysis of the Nanostructure of Normal and Osteoporotic Human Bone,” Bone, 33, 270-282.
- Park, J. E., I. Jasiuk, and A. Zubelewicz (2003),"Interfacial Stress Analysis and Fracture of a Bi-Material Strip with a Heterogeneous Underfill,” ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 125, 400-413.
- Baxter, W. J., A. Al-Ostaz, and I. Jasiuk (2003), “Fatigue of Kaowool Reinforced Aluminum: Effect of Shot Particle Wall Thickness," Journal of Materials Science, 38, 2851-2860.
- Park, J. E., I. Jasiuk, and A. Zubelewicz (2003), “Stresses and Fracture at the Chip/Underfill Interface in Flip-Chip Assemblies,” ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 125, 44-52.
- Jasiuk, I. and S. Boccara (2002), “On the Reduction of Constants in Plane Elasticity with Eigenstrains,” Archives of Mechanics, 54, 5-16.
- Jiang, M., I. Jasiuk, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2002), “Apparent thermal conductivity of periodic two-dimensional composites,“ Computational Materials Science, 25:3, 329-338.
- Bouyge, F., S. Boccara, I. Jasiuk, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2002), “A Micromechanically Based Couple-Stress Model of an Elastic Orthotropic Two-phase Composite,” European Journal of Mechanics/A: Solids, 21:3, 465-481.
- Jiang, M., I. Jasiuk, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2002), “Apparent Elastic and Elastoplastic Behavior of Periodic Composites,” International Journal of Solids and Structures, 39, 199-212.
- Jiang, M., K. Alzebdeh, I. Jasiuk, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (2001), “Scale and Boundary Conditions Effects in Elasticity of Random Composites,” Acta Mechanica, 148, 63-78.
- Baxter, W. J., A. Al-Ostaz, and I. Jasiuk (2001), "Mechanical and Thermal Stresses at Shot Particles during Fatigue of Kaowool Aluminum Composites at 20oC,” Journal of Materials Science, 36, 1201-1212.
- Jiang, M., M. Ostoja-Starzewski, and I. Jasiuk (2001), “Scale-dependent Bounds on Effective Elastoplastic Response of Random Composites,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 49, 655-673.
- Bouyge, F., M. Ostoja-Starzewski, and I. Jasiuk (2001), “A Micromechanically Based Couple-stress Model of an Elastic Two-phase Composite," International Journal of Solids and Structures (special issue Mechanics Pan-American 2001), 38, 1721-1735.
- Jasiuk, I., J. Dundurs, and M. Jiang (2000), “On the Reduced Parameter Dependence of the Mori-Tanaka Theory,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 285, 130-135.
- Tsuchida, E., Y. Arai, K. Nakazawa, and I. Jasiuk (2000), “The Elastic Stress Field in a Half-Space Containing a Prolate Spheroidal Inhomogeneity Subject to Pure Shear Eigenstrain,” Materials Science & Engineering A, 285, 239-245.
- Ostoja-Starzewski, M., S. Boccara, and I. Jasiuk (1999), “Couple-Stress Moduli and Characteristic Length of a Two Phase Composite,” Mechanics Research Communications, 26, 387-396.
- Baxter, W. J., A. Al-Ostaz, and I. Jasiuk (1999), "The Effect of Shot Particles on the Fatigue of Kaowool Fiber Reinforced 339 Aluminum,” Metallurgical & Materials Transactions, 30A 195-201.
- Wang, W. and I. Jasiuk (1998), Effective Elastic Constants of Particulate Composites with Inhomogeneous Interphases, Journal of Composite Materials, 32, 1391-1424.
- Markenscoff, X. and I. Jasiuk (1998), On Multiple-Connectivity and the Reduction of Constants for Composites with Body Forces, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, 454, 1357-1369.
- Alzebdeh, K., A. Al-Ostaz, I. Jasiuk, and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (1998), "Fracture of Random matrix-inclusion composites: scale effects and statistics," International Journal of Solids and Structures, 35, 2537-2566.
- Al-Ostaz, A., I. Jasiuk, and M. Lee (1998), "Circular Inclusion in a Half-Plane: Effect of Boundary Conditions, ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 124, 293-300.
- Dundurs, J. and I. Jasiuk (1997), Effective Elastic Moduli of Composite Materials: Reduced Parameter Dependence, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 50, (No. 11, Part 2), S39-S43.
- Al-Ostaz, A. and I. Jasiuk (1997), "Crack Initiation and Propagation in Materials with Randomly Distributed Holes, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 58, 395-420.
- Ostoja-Starzewski, M., P. Y. Sheng, and I. Jasiuk (1997), Damage Patterns and Constitutive Response of Random Matrix-Inclusions Composites, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 58, 581-606.
- Jasiuk, I., P. Y. Sheng, and E. Tsuchida (1997), A Spherical Inclusion in an Elastic Half-Space under Shear, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 64, 471-479.
- Al-Ostaz, A. and I. Jasiuk (1997), "The Influence of Interphase and Arrangement of Inclusions on Local Stresses in Composite Materials, Acta Materialia, 45, 4131-4143.
- Ostoja-Starzewski, M., I. Jasiuk, W. Wang and K. Alzebdeh (1996), Composites with Functionally Graded Interfaces: Mesocontinuum Concept and Effective Transverse Conductivity, Acta Materialia, 44, 2057-2066.
- Jasiuk, I. and M. Ostoja-Starzewski (1995), Planar Cosserat Elasticity of Materials with Holes and Intrusions, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 48, S11-S18.
- Ostoja-Starzewski, M. and I. Jasiuk (1995), Stress Invariance in Planar Cosserat Elasticity, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, 451, 453-470.
- Ostoja-Starzewski, M., K. Alzebdeh, and I. Jasiuk (1995), Linear Elasticity of Planar Delaunay Networks III: Self-consistent Approximations, Acta Mechanica, 110, 57-72.
- Jasiuk, I. (1995), Polygonal Cavities vis-is Rigid Inclusions: Effective Elastic Moduli of Materials with Polygonal Inclusions, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 32, 407-422.
- Ostoja-Starzewski, M., P. Y. Sheng, and I. Jasiuk (1994), Influence of Random Geometry on Effective Properties and Damage Formation in Composite Materials, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 116, 384-391.
- Jasiuk, I., J. Chen, and M. F. Thorpe (1994), Elastic Moduli of Two Dimensional Materials with Polygonal Holes, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 47, (1, Part 2), S18-S28.
- Jun, S. and I. Jasiuk (1993), Elastic Moduli of 2D Composites with Sliding Inclusions A Comparison of Effective Medium Theories, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 30, 2501-2523.
- Jasiuk, I. and M. W. Kouider (1993), The Effect of an Inhomogeneous Interphase on the Elastic Constants of Transversely Isotropic Composites, Mechanics of Materials, 15, 53-63.
- Thorpe, M. F. and I. Jasiuk (1992), New Results in the Theory of Elasticity for Two-Dimensional Composites, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, Series A, 438, 531-544.
- Lee, M., I. Jasiuk, and E. Tsuchida (1992), The Sliding Circular Inclusion in an Elastic Half-Plane, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 59, 557-564.
- Jasiuk, I., J. Chen, and M. F. Thorpe (1992), Elastic Moduli of Composites with Rigid Sliding Inclusions, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 40, 373-391.
- Jasiuk, I., E. Tsuchida, and T. Mura (1991), Spheroidal Sliding Inclusion in an Elastic Half-Space," Applied Mechanics Reviews, 44:11, S143-S149.
- Lee, M. and I. Jasiuk (1991), Asymptotic Expansions for the Thermal Stresses in Bonded Semi-infinite Bi-material Strips, ASME Journal of Electronic Packaging, 113, 173-177.
- Shibata, S., I. Jasiuk, T. Mori, and T. Mura (1990), Successive Iteration Method Applied to Composites Containing Sliding Inclusions: Effective Modules and Inelasticity, Mechanics of Materials, 9, 229-243.
- Jasiuk, I., T. Mura, and E. Tsuchida (1988), "Thermal Stresses and Thermal Expansion Coefficients of Short Fiber Composites with Sliding Interfaces," ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 110, 96-100.
- Jasiuk, I., E. Tsuchida, and T. Mura (1987), The Sliding Inclusion under Shear, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 23, 1373-1385.
- Mura, T., I. Jasiuk, and E. Tsuchida (1985), The Stress Field of a Sliding Inclusion, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 21, 1165-1179.
- Member, Orthopedic Research Society, 2010-present
- Member, Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineers, 2005-2006
- Member, Society of Women Engineers, 2003-2004, 2008-2010, 2013-present
- Member, National Society for Histotechnology, 2000-2004
- Member, American Physical Society, 1998-2004
- Member, Materials Research Society, 1994-2000
- Member, Awards Committee, American Academy of Mechanics, 2007-2009
- Member, American Academy of Mechanics, 1994-date
- Member, American Association of University Women, 1992-1996
- Member, Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, 1991-2004
- Technical Chair of the 2008 Society of Engineering Science Conference
- SES representative to the US National Congress/Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (USNC/TAM), 2007-2010
- By-Laws Committee Chair, SES, 2007
- Past-President, SES, 2007
- Honors Committee, SES, 2005
- Vice-President, SES, 2005
- Nominating Committee, SES, 2004
- President, SES, 2006
- Elected Board of Directors, SES, 2001-2006, Vice-President, 2005, President, 2006
- Member, Society of Engineering Science (SES), 1989-date
- Committee on Composite Materials, (MMMS), 1994-2004
- Member, The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (MMMS), 1987-1990, 1994-2004, 2010, 2013-present
- American Society of Civil Engineers, 1986-1989
- Applied Mechanics Division Committee on Composite Materials, Vice-Chair, 2003, Chair, 2004
- Composites Committee, ASME, 1994-date, Vice-Chair, 2003, Chair, 2004
- Committee on Elasticity, ASME, 1990-date
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 1985-present
- Fellow, ASME, 2003
- UIUC List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students Spring 2008
- Most Helpful Professor, Teaching Award, Georgia Tech, 2002
- Fellow, Society of Engineering Science, 2012
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2003
- Listed in Polish American Whos Who (1st edition), 2000
- Listed in MARQUIS Whos Who in American Education, (5th edition), 1997
- Listed in MARQUIS Whos Who in Science and Engineering (2nd & 3rd editions), 1996
- Murphy Fellowship, Northwestern University, 1982-1983
- Chicago Intercollegiate Council Scholarship, 1983-1984
Public Service Honors
- Member of Nominating Committee, Society of Engineering Science, 2011-2012
- Chair of By-Laws Committee, Society of Engineering Science, 2007
- Chair of Awards Committee, Society of Engineering Science, 2004
- Chair of Nominating Committee, Society of Engineering Science, 2002-2003
- Member of Board of Directors, Society of Engineering Science, 2000-2006
- Chair, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Applied Mechanics Division Composites Committee, 2004
- Vice-Chair, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Applied Mechanics Division Composites Committee, 2003
- Awards committee, American Academy of Mechanics (2007-2008)
- SES representative to the US National Committee on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 2007-2010
- President, Society of Engineering Science, 2006
- Vice-President, Society of Engineering Science (SES), 2005