Jeremy S Guest
Primary Research Area
- Environmental Engineering and Science
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2012
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2007
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Bucknell University, 2005
Jeremy Guest is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He is the Thrust Leader for Sanitation and Resource Recovery for the Safe Global Water Institute and the Environmental Sustainability Lead for the Soybean Innovation Lab, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). His research focuses on sustainable technologies for engineered water systems, with an emphasis on biotechnology development for resource recovery from wastewater. By integrating experimentation, modeling, and quantitative sustainable design (QSD), Dr. Guests research group leverages fundamental insights into molecular-scale processes to advance systems-scale sustainability, connecting technology innovation with broader societal initiatives for energy, food security, health and nutrition in both technologically advanced and developing communities.
Dr. Guest is the recipient of a National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) Award and is the 2016 recipient of the Paul L. Busch Award for innovation in applied water quality research from the Water Environment & Reuse Foundation (WE&RF). His research has been sponsored by a number of agencies including the NSF, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and USAID. Dr. Guests formal training includes a B.S. and M.S. in civil engineering from Bucknell University and Virginia Tech, respectively, and a Ph.D. in environmental engineering from the University of Michigan.
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (iSEE), 2015-present
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Civil and Environmental Engineering, December 2011-present
For more information
- Phototrophic Biotechnology [microalgae; wastewater; biofuel feedstock; process modeling]
- Resource Recovery from Water [wastewater, nutrients, nitrogen, phosphorus; bioenergy; anaerobic; methane]
- Sustainable Design [trade-offs across environmental, economic, social dimensions of sustainability; life cycle assessment, LCA; techno-economic analysis, TEA; life cycle costing, LCC; social factors; technology innovation]
- Developing World Sanitation [sub-Saharan Africa; urban slums; rural]
- Sustainable Agriculture [water quality; environmental sustainability; food security]
Selected Articles in Journals
- Li, Y.; Leow, S.; Fedders, A.C.; Sharma, B.K.; Guest, J.S.; Strathmann, T.J. Quantitative multiphase model for hydrothermal liquefaction of algal biomass. Green Chemistry, In press.
- Bauza, V.; Ocharo, R.M.; Nguyen, T.H.; Guest J.S. Soil ingestion is associated with child diarrhea in an urban slum of Nairobi, Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, In press.
- Bradley, I.M.; Pinto, A.J.; Guest, J.S. Design and evaluation of Illumina MiSeq compatible 18S rRNA gene-specific primers for improved characterization of mixed phototrophic communities. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2016, 82(19): 5878-5891.
- Shoener, B.D.; Zhong, C.; Greiner, A.D.; Khunjar, W.O.; Hong, P.-Y.; Guest, J.S. Design of anaerobic membrane bioreactors for the valorization of dilute organic carbon waste streams. Energy & Environmental Science, 2016, 9: 1102-1112.
- Viswanathan, M.; Venugopal, S.; Minefee, I.; Mari B.J.; Guest, J.S.; Bauza, V.; Valentino, L.; Kupaza, R.; Jones, M. A bottom-up approach to short-term immersion in subsistence marketplaces: Methodological and substantive lessons on poverty and the environment from Tanzania. Organization & Environment, 2016, 29(4): 438-460.
- Pretel, R.; Shoener, B.D.; Ferrer, J.; Guest, J.S. Navigating environmental, economic, and technological trade-offs in the design and operation of submerged anaerobic membrane bioreactors (AnMBRs). Water Research, 2015, 87: 531-541.
- Leow, S.; Witter, J.R.; Vardon, D.R.; Sharma, B.K.; Guest, J.S.; Strathmann, T.J. Prediction of microalgae hydrothermal liquefaction products from feedstock biochemical composition. Green Chemistry, 2015, 17: 3584-3599.
- Choe, J.K.; Bergquist, A.M.; Jeong, S.; Guest, J.S.; Werth, C.J.; Strathmann, T.J. Performance and life cycle environmental benefits of recycling spent ion exchange brines via catalytic treatment of nitrate. Water Research, 2015, 80: 267-280.
- Shoener, B.D.; Bradley, I.M.; Cusick, R.D.; Guest, J.S. Energy positive domestic wastewater treatment: The roles of anaerobic and phototrophic technologies. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts, 2014, 16(6): 1204-1222. Invited contribution to Emerging Investigators Special Issue of Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts.
- Corominas, Ll.; Foley, J.; Guest, J.S.; Hospido, A.; Larsen, H.F.; Morera, S.; Shaw, A. Life cycle assessment applied to wastewater treatment: State of the art. Water Research, 2013, 47(15), 5480-5492.
- Schoolman, E.D.; Guest, J.S.; Bush, K.F.; Bell, A.R. How interdisciplinary is sustainability research? Analyzing the structure of an emerging scientific field. Sustainability Science, 2012, 7(1), 67-80.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Guest, J.S.; Bradley, I.M.; Gardner-Dale, D.A.; Fedders, A.C.; DeBellis, J.L. (Abstract, Presentation) Development of selective pressures for nitrogen and phosphorus recovery by microalgae across diurnal cycles. 1st IWA Conference on Algal Technologies for Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery; International Water Association; Delft, The Netherlands. March 16-17, 2017.
- Li, Y.; Leow, S.; Fedders, A.C.; Sharma, B.K.; Dong, T.; Nagle, N.; Pienkos, P.T.; Guest, J.S.; Strathmann, T.J. (Abstract, Presentation) A quantitative model for hydrothermal liquefaction of microalgae feedstocks. 2016 Algae Biomass Summit; Algae Biomass Organization (ABO); Phoenix, AZ; October 23-26, 2016.
- Leow, S.; Shoener, B.D.; Li, Y.; DeBellis, J.L.; Davis, R.; Laurens, L.M.L.; Nagle, N.; Pienkos, P.T.; Strathmann, T.J.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Systems-scale optimization of the integrated microalgae-biofuel process applying various downstream aqueous conversion technologies. 2016 Algae Biomass Summit; Algae Biomass Organization (ABO); Phoenix, AZ; October 23-26, 2016.
- Bauza, V.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Young children's feces disposal practices are associated with child growth: Evidence from 34 countries. UNC Water & Health Conference; Chapel Hill, NC; October 10-14, 2016.
- Bradley, I.M.; Pinto, A.J.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Improved characterization of mixed phototrophic communities through 18S rRNA gene-based amplicon sequencing. Microbial Ecology and Water Engineering (MEWE) 2016; Copenhagen, Denmark; September 4-7, 2016.
- Gardner-Dale, D.; Bradley, I.M.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Solids residence time dictates N:P recovery in microalgae. WEF / IWA Nutrient Removal and Recovery Conference; International Water Association (IWA), Water Environment Federation (WEF); Denver, CO; July 10-13, 2016.
- Shoener, B.D.; Zhong, C.; Greiner, A.D.; Khunjar, W.O.; Hong, P.-Y.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Prioritization Of Anaerobic Membrane Bioreactor (AnMBR) Research & Development Through Quantitative Sustainable Design. IWA Leading Edge Conference on Water and Wastewater Technologies (LET); International Water Association (IWA); Jerez de la Frontera, Spain; June 13-16, 2016.
- Bradley, I.M.; DeBellis, J.; Fedders, A.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation, Poster) Selective Pressures Drive Algal Community Function, Nutrient Recovery, and Bioenergy Feedstock Production in Phototrophic Wastewater Treatment. IWA Leading Edge Conference on Water and Wastewater Technologies (LET); International Water Association (IWA); Jerez de la Frontera, Spain; June 13-16, 2016.
- Editorial Board Member: Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology; a Royal Society of Chemistry Journal; 2014-2017.
- Guest Editor: Special Issue on Carbon-Neutral Treatment Plants; Water Research (Impact Factor 5.99), an Elsevier Journal; 2015. Other Guest Editor: Damien Batstone, University of Queensland (Australia).
- Research and Technological Innovation Lead, North American Representative; Resource Recovery from Water Cluster; International Water Association (IWA); 2016-present
- Management Team Member; Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Water and Wastewater Treatment Working Group, within the Modelling and Integrated Assessment Specialist Group, International Water Association (IWA); 2012-present
- Management Team Member; Modelling of Integrated Urban Water Systems (MIUWS) Working Group, within the Modelling and Integrated Assessment Specialist Group, International Water Association (IWA); 2012-present
Service on Department Committees
- Department Interdisciplinary Oversight Committee (2016-2018)
- Bill Boyle Outstanding Educator Award ("Educator of the Year"), Central States Water Environment Association (CSWEA) (2016)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students (Sp 14,16; Fa 14,15,16)
- Fellow; Center for Advanced Study (CAS), UIUC (2017-2018)
- Paul L. Busch Award; Water Environment & Reuse Foundation (2016)
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award; National Science Foundation (NSF) (2014-2019)
- Emerging Investigator; Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts (2014)
- Excellence Faculty Fellow, Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering (2016)
- MWH/AEESP Master's Thesis Award, First Place; Brian D. Shoener (M.S. Advisee) (2015)
- Excellence in Review Award, Environmental Science & Technology (2014)