- Ph.D., University of Toronto, Aerospace Engineering, 2007-2012
- M.A.Sc., University of Toronto, Aerospace Engineering, 2004-2006
- B.A.Sc., University of Toronto, Engineering Science, 2000-2004
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015 - present
- Affiliated Faculty, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Computational Science and Engineering, 2016 - present
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Columbia University, 2012 - 2015
- AE 420 - Introduction to Finite Element Analysis; Fall, 2016
- AE 598 - Nonlinear Solid Mech Design; Spring, 2016
- AE 321 - Mechanics of Aerospace Structures; Fall, 2015; Spring, 2017
- Multidisciplinary design optimization
- Topology optimizaion
- Computational solid mechanics
- Nonlinear mechanics
- Additive Manufacturing
Selected Articles in Journals
- K.A. James and J.R.R.A. Martins. An isoparametric approach to level set topology optimization using a body-fitted finite element mesh. Computers and Structures, 9091:97106, 2012.
- E. Lee, K.A. James, and J.R.R.A. Martins. Stress-constrained topology optimization with design-dependent loading. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 46:647661, 2012.
- K.A. James, E. Lee, and J.R.R.A. Martins. Stress-based topology optimization using an isoparametric level set method. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 58:2030, 2012.
- K.A. James and H. Waisman. Failure mitigation in optimal topology design using a coupled nonlinear continuum damage model. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 268:614631, 2014.
- K.A. James, G.J. Kennedy, and J.R.R.A. Martins. Concurrent aerostructural topology optimization of a wing box. Computers and Structures, 134:117, 2014.
- K.A. James and H. Waisman. Topology optimization of structures under variable loading using a damage superposition approach. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 101(5):375-406, 2015.
- K.A. James and H. Waisman. Topology optimization of viscoelastic structures using a time-dependent adjoint method. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 281:166-187, 2015.
- K.A. James and H. Waisman. Layout design of a bi-stable cardiovascular stent using topology optimization. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering. 305:169-890, 2016.
- K.A. James and H. Waisman. On the Importance of Viscoelastic Response Consideration in Structural Design Optimization. Optimization and Engineering. Accepted June, 2016.