Primary Research Area
- Materials for Medicine
Professor Kristopher Kilian received B.S. and M.S. degrees in Chemistry from the University of Washington in 1999 and 2003 respectively. He worked for Merck Research Labs in the Methods Development group from 2000-2004 before travelling to Sydney, Australia to do his PhD with Justin Gooding at the University of New South Wales. His doctoral research involved the development of nanostructured porous-silicon based photonic crystals and their chemical modification for optical biosensors and biomaterials. In 2007, he joined the laboratory of Milan Mrksich at the University of Chicago as a NIH postdoctoral fellow to investigate new methods for directing the dif ferentiation of stem cells. Kris joined the faculty of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as Assistant Professor of Materials Science and Engineering in 2011. Kris is a 2008 recipient of the NIH Ruth L. Kirchstein National Research Service Award, and a 2015 recipient of the National Science Foundations CAREER award. His research interests include the design and development of model extracellular matrices for stem cell engineering and fundamental studies in cell biology.
For more information
Chapters in Books
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Biomaterials: Incorporating ECM-Derived Molecular Features Into Biomaterials (book chapter) in Mimicking the Extracellular Matrix : The Intersection of Matrix Biology and Biomaterials, eds. Gregory A. Hudalla and William L. Murphy, RSC, Cambridge, UK, pgs. 161-194 (2015).
Selected Articles in Journals
- Rachael Mansbach, Andrew L. Ferguson, Kristopher A. Kilian, Jessica A. Krogstad, Cecilia Leal, Andrchleife, Dallas R. Trinkle, Matthew West, and Geoffrey L. Herman, Reforming an Undergraduate Materials Science Curriculum with Computational Modules, Journal of Materials Education, 2016, Accepted
- Amr A. Abdeen, Junmin Lee, N. Ashwin Bharadwaj, Randy H. Ewoldt, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Magnetoactive hydrogels for temporal modulation of stem cell activity, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2016, Available online DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201600349
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Xin Tang, Taher A. Saif, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Matrix directed adipogenesis and neurogenesis of mesenchymal stem cells derived from adipose tissue and bone marrow, Acta Biomaterialia, 2016, 42, 46-55
- Junmin Lee, Meredith N. Silberstein, Amr A. Abdeen, Sang Yup Kim, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Mechanochemical functionalization of disulfide linked hydrogels, Materials Horizons, 2016, 3, 447-451
- Tiffany H. Huang, Yi Pei, Douglas Zhang, Yanfen Li, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Patterning porous silicon photonic crystals with modular surface chemistry for spatial control of neural stem cell differentiation, Nanoscale, 2016, 8, 10891-10895
- Amr A. Abdeen, Junmin Lee, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Capturing extracellular matrix properties in vitro: microengineering materials to decipher cell and tissue level processes, Experimental Biology and Medicine, 2016, 241 (9), 930-938.
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Kathryn Wycislo, Timothy M. Fan, Kristopher A. Kilian, Interfacial geometry dictates cancer cell tumorigenicity, Nature Materials, 2016, 15, 856-862
- Kristopher A. Kilian and Prabhas Moghe, High throughput strategies for the design, discovery, and analysis of biomaterials, Acta Biomaterialia, 2016, 34, v-vi
- Douglas Zhang, Michael B. Sun, Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Cell shape and the presentation of adhesion ligands guide smooth muscle myogenesis, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A, 2016, 104 (5), 1212-1220
- Yanfen Li and Kristopher A. Kilian, Bridging the gap: from 2D cell culture to 3D engineered extracellular matrices, Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2015, 4 (18), 2780-2796.
- Amr A. Abdeen, Junmin Lee, Samuel H Mo, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Spatially defined stem cell-laden hydrogel islands for directing endothelial tubulogenesis, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2015, 3, 7896-7898. [cover article]
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Xin Tang, Taher A. Saif, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Geometric guidance of integrin mediated traction stress during stem cell differentiation, Biomaterials, 2015, 69, 174-183
- Joshua M. Grolman, Douglas Zhang, Andrew M. Smith, Jeffrey S. Moore, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Rapid 3D extrusion of synthetic tumor microenvironments, Advanced Materials, 2015, 27 (37), 5512-5517. [cover article]
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Alex Kim, and Kristopher A. Kilian, The influence of biophysical parameters on maintaining the mesenchymal stem cell phenotype, ACS Biomaterials Science & Engineering, 2015, 1, 218-226 [cover article]
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Kristopher A. Kilian, Rewiring stem cell lineage specification by switching the biophysical microenvironment, Scientific Reports, 2014, 4, 5188
- Douglas Zhang and Kristopher A. Kilian, Peptide microarrays for the discovery of bioactive ligands that guide cellular processes: an azide-alkyne "click" chemistry approach, Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2014, 2 (27), 4280-4288.
- Amr A. Abdeen, Jared B. Weiss, Junmin Lee, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Matrix composition and mechanics directs pro-angiogenic signaling from mesenchymal stem cells, Tissue Engineering Part A, 2014, 20 (19-20), 2737-2745.
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Tiffany H. Huang, Kristopher A. Kilian, Controlling cell geometry on substrates of variable stiffness can tune the degree of osteogenesis in human mesenchymal stem cells, Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 2014, 38, 209-218.
- Junmin Lee, Amr A. Abdeen, Douglas Zhang, and Kristopher A. Kilian, Directing stem cell fate on hydrogel substrates by controlling cell geometry, matrix mechanics and adhesion ligand composition, Biomaterials, 2013, 34, 8140-8148
- Douglas Zhang and Kristopher A. Kilian, The effect of mesenchymal stem cell shape on the maintenance of multipotency, Biomaterials, 2013. 34, 3962-3969
- Till Bocking, Kristopher A. Kilian, Peter J. Reece, Katharina Gaus, Michael Gal and J. Justin Gooding, Biofunctionalization of free-standing porous silicon films for self-assembly of photonic devices, Soft Matter, 2012, 8, 360-366.
- Kristopher A. Kilian and Milan Mrksich, Directing Stem Cell Fate by Controlling the Affinity and Density of Ligand-Receptor Interactions at the Biomaterials Interface, Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed., 2012. 51 (20), 4891-4895
- Bin Guan, Astrid Magenau, Krisopher A. Kilian, Simone Ciampi, Katharina Gaus, Peter J. Reece and J. Justin Gooding, Mesoporous silicon photonic crystal microparticles: towards single-cell optical biosensors, Faraday Discussions, 2011, 149, 301-317
- Guillaume Le Saux, Astrid Magenau, Krishanthi Gunaratnam, Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, Justin Gooding and Katharina Gaus, Spacing of integrin ligands influences signal transduction in endothelial cells, Biophysical Journal, 2011, 101, 764 - 773
- Till Bocking, Kristopher A. Kilian, Peter J. Reece, Katharina Gaus, Michael Gal and J. Justin Gooding, Substrate independent assembly of optical structures guided by biomolecular interactions, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2010, 2 (11), 3270-3275
- Zachary A. Gurard-Levin, Kristopher A. Kilian, Joohoon Kim, Katinka Bahr, Milan Mrksich, Using Peptide Arrays and Mass Spectrometry to Develop Selective Substrates for Members of the Lysine Deacetylase Family of Enzymes, ACS Chemical Biology, 2010, 5 (9), 863-873
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Branimir Bugarija, Bruce T. Lahn and Milan Mrksich, Geometric cues for directing the differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 2010, 107 (11), 4872-4877
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, and J. Justin Gooding, The importance of surface chemistry in nanostructured materials: lessons from mesoporous silicon photonic biosensors, Chemical Communications, 2009, 630-640
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Leo M. H. Lai, Astrid Megenau, Sian Cartland, Till Bocking, Katharina Gaus, Nick Di Giorlamo, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Smart tissue culture: in situ monitoring of cellular secretion with nanostructured photonic crystals, Nano Letters, 2009, 9 (5), 2021-2025
- Till Bocking, Kristopher A. Kilian, Katharina Gaus, and J. Justin Gooding, Modifying Porous Silicon with Self-Assembled Monolayers for Biomedical Applications: The influence of surface coverage on stability and biomolecule coupling, Advanced Functional Materials, 2008, 18(23), 3827-3833
- Simone Ciampi, Till Bocking, Kristopher A. Kilian, Jason Harper, J. Justin Gooding, Click-Chemistry in Mesoporous Materials: Functionalization of Porous Silicon Rugate Filters, Langmuir, 2008, 24 (11), 5888 - 5892
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, Leo M. H. Lai, Suhrawardi Ilyas, Katharina Gaus, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Organic Modification of Silicon-based Photonic Materials: The Role of Nanoarchitecture on Optical Behavior, International Journal of Nanotechnology, 2008, 5(2), 170-178
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, Katharina Gaus, and J. Justin Gooding, Introducing Distinctly Different Chemical Functionalities onto the Internal and External Surfaces of Mesoporous Materials, Angewandte Chemie Int. Ed., 2008, 47(14), 2697-2699.
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, Katharina Gaus, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Peptide Modified Optical Filters for Detecting Protease Activity, ACS Nano, 2007, 1(4), 355-361
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, Suhrawardi Ilyas, Katharina Gaus, Wendy Jessup, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Forming Antifouling Organic Multilayers on Porous Silicon Rugate Filters towards in vivo/ex vivo Biophotonic Devices, Advanced Functional Materials, 2007, 17(15) , 2884-2890
- Simone Ciampi, Till Bocking, Kristopher A. Kilian, Michael James, Jason Harper, J. Justin Gooding, Functionalization of Acetylene-Terminated Monolayers on Si(100) Surfaces: A Click Chemistry Approach, Langmuir, 2007, 23(18), 9320-9329
- S. Ilyas, T. Bocking, K. Kilian, P.J. Reece, J. Gooding, K. Gaus and M. Gal, Porous silicon based narrow line-width rugate filters, Optical Materials, 2007, 29, 619-622
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, Suhrawardi Ilyas, Katharina Gaus, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Si-C Linked Oligo(ethylene glycol) Layers in Silicon-based Photonic Crystals: Optimization for Implantable Optical Materials, Biomaterials, 2007, 28(20), 3055-3062
- Kristopher A. Kilian, Till Bocking, Suhrawardi Ilyas, Katharina Gaus, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Hybrid lipid bilayers in nanostructured silicon: a biomimetic mesoporous scaffold for optical detection of cholera toxin, Chemical Communications, 2007, 1936-1938
- Till Bocking, Kristopher A. Kilian, Katharina Gaus, and J. Justin Gooding, Single-Step DNA Immobilization on Antifouling Self-Assembled Monolayers Covalently Bound to Silicon (111), Langmuir, 2006, 22(8), 3494-3496
- Till Bocking, Kristopher A. Kilian, Tracey Hanley, Suhrawardi Ilyas, Katharina Gaus, Michael Gal, and J. Justin Gooding, Formation of tetra(ethylene oxide) terminated Si-C linked monolayers and their derivatization with glycine: An example of a generic strategy for the immobilization of biomolecules on silicon, Langmuir, 2005, 21, 10522-10529
- Michele Cleary, Kristopher Kilian, Yanqun Wang, Jeff Bradshaw, Guy Cavet, Wei Ge, Amit Kulkarni, Patrick J. Paddison, Kenneth Chang, Nihar Sheth, Eric Leproust, Ernest M. Coffey, Julja Burchard, W. Richard McCombie, Peter Linsley and Gregory J. Hannon, Production of Complex Nucleic Acid Libraries Using Highly Parallel in situ Oligonucleotide Synthesis, Nature Methods, 2004, 1(3), 241-248
- Thomas L. Fare, Ernest M. Coffey, Hongyue Dai, Yudong D. He, Deborah A. Kessler, Kristopher A. Kilian, John E. Koch, Eric LeProust, Matthew J. Marton, Michael R. Meyer, Roland B. Stoughton, George Y. Tokiwa, and Yanqun Wang, Effects of Atmospheric Ozone on Microarray Data Quality, Analytical Chemistry, 2003, 75(17); 4672-4675
- U Committee Prize, Best PhD Thesis, University of New South Wales (2009)
- Cornforth Medal, Best PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Technology in Australia, The Royal Australian Chemical Institute (2008)
- Poster Prize, The International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Brisbane Australia (2006)
- The Environmental Management Pre-college Analytical Chemistry Program (EMPAC), University of Washington (1992)
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (2015)
- Kavli Fellow, 19th German-American Frontiers of Science Symposium (2014)
- Australian Research Council Eureka Prize Finalist for Excellence in Research by an Interdisciplinary Team (2011)
- Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award, National Institutes of Health (2008)