- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2014
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 2013
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2008
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, January 2017 - present.
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, June 2016 - January 2017.
- ETH Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering, ETH Z August 2014 - December 2016.
For more information
- Damage-tolerant metamaterials
- Architected and phononic materials
- Wave propagation in complex media
- Additive manufacturing
- Experimental mechanics
- Nonlinear ultrasound
- Applied Physics
- Dynamics & Controls
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics
Selected Articles in Journals
- Matlack, K.H., A. Bauhofer, S. Kr, A. Palermo, and C. Daraio, Composite 3D printed meta-structures for low frequency and broadband vibration absorption, PNAS, 113 (30), 8386-8390, 2016.
- Matlack, K.H., H. Bradley, S. Thiele, J.-Y. Kim, J.J. Wall, H.J. Jung, J. Qu, and L.J. Jacobs, Nonlinear ultrasonic characterization of precipitation in 17-4PH stainless steel, NDT&E International, 71, 8-15, 2015.
- Matlack, K.H., J.-Y. Kim, J. Qu, and L.J. Jacobs, Review of second harmonic generation measurement techniques in metallic materials, Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, 33 (4), 1-23, 2014.
- Matlack, K.H., J.-Y. Kim, J.J. Wall, J. Qu, L.J. Jacobs, and M. Sokolov, Sensitivity of ultrasonic nonlinearity to irradiated, annealed, and re-irradiated microstructure changes in RPV steels, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 448, 26-32, 2014.
- Matlack, K.H., J.J. Wall, J.-Y. Kim, J. Qu, L.J. Jacobs, and H.-W. Viehrig, Evaluation of radiation damage using nonlinear ultrasound, Journal of Applied Physics, 111 (5), 2012.
- Matlack, K.H., J.-Y. Kim, L.J. Jacobs, and J. Qu, Experimental characterization of efficient second harmonic generation of Lamb wave modes in a nonlinear elastic isotropic plate, Journal of Applied Physics, 109 (014905), 2011.
- ETH Zurich Postdoctoral Fellowship (2014-2016)
- Sigma Xi Best Ph.D. Thesis Award, Georgia Institute of Technology (2015)
- Innovations in Fuel Cycle Research Award, DOE Office of Nuclear Energy (2013)
- P.E.O. Scholars Award (2013)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship (2010-2013)