- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2012
- M.S. Aerospace Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2006
- B.S. Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, 2005
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, August 16, 2014-date
- Faculty Affiliate, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2016-date
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, 2012-2014
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Aerospace Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin, 2005-2012
- Undergraduate Research Assistant, Department of Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, 2004-2005
For more information
- Kinetic methods for non-equilibrium flows, rare events and tail-driven processes
- Molecular dynamics and material properties
- Plasma-surface interactions
- Kinetic theory and transport processes
- Characterization of material defect/property relationships
- Fluid mechanics & thermal sciences
- Applied Physics
- Computation and Applied Math
- Fluid Mechanics
- Security and Defende
- Security and Defense
- Thermo Heat and Transfer
Selected Articles in Journals
- Swaminathan-Gopalan, K., T. Zhu, E. Ertekin and K. A. Stephani (2017), "Structural and thermal effects of ion-irradiation induced defect configurations in silicon," Phys. Rev. B 95, 184109.
- Swaminathan-Gopalan, K., S. Subramaniam, and K. A. Stephani (2016), "Generalized Chapman-Enskog continuum breakdown parameters for chemically reacting flows," Phys. Rev. Fluids 1, 083402, doi:https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevFluids.1.083402.
- Stephani, K. A. and I. D. Boyd, (2016), "Spacecraft plume interactions with the magnetosphere plasma environment in geostationary Earth orbit," J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, 121, 1402-1412, doi:10.1002/2015JA021158.
- Swaminathan-Gopalan, K. and K. A. Stephani, (2016), "Recommended DSMC collision model parameters for modeling ionized air transport processes," Phys. Fluids 28 027171; doi: 10.1063/1.4939719.
- Stephani, K. A. and I. D. Boyd, (2015), "Molecular dynamics modeling of defect formation in many-layer hexagonal boron nitride," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, 365, 235-239.
- Stephani, K. A., I. D. Boyd, R. L. Balthazor, M. G. McHarg, B. A. Mueller, and R. J. Adams (2014), "Analysis and observation of spacecraft plume/ionosphere interactions during maneuvers of the space shuttle," J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, 119, 76367648, doi:10.1002/2013JA019476.
- Stephani, K. A. and I. D. Boyd, (2014), "Detailed modeling and analysis of spacecraft plume/ionosphere interactions in low Earth orbit," J. Geophys. Res. Space Physics, 119, 21012116, doi:10.1002/2013JA019222.
- Stephani, K. A., D. B. Goldstein, and P.L. Varghese, (2013), "A non-equilibrium surface reservoir approach for hybrid DSMC/NavierStokes particle generation," J. Comp. Phys., Volume 232, Issue 1, Pages 468-481, doi: 10.1016/j.jcp.2012.08.017.
- Stephani, K. A., D. B. Goldstein, and P. L. Varghese, (2012), "Consistent treatment of transport properties for five-species air direct simulation Monte Carlo/Navier-Stokes applications," Phys. Fluids 24, 077101; doi: 10.1063/1.4729610.
- Stephani, K. A. and D. B. Goldstein, (2010), "An Examination of Trapped Bubbles for Viscous Drag Reduction on Submerged Surfaces," J. Fluids Eng. 132(4), 041303 (9 pages); doi:10.1115/1.4001273.
- Member, American Physical Society (2014-date)
- Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (2014-date)
- Member, Society of Women Engineers (2017-date)
- AFOSR Young Investigator Research Program Award (2017)
- NASA Early Career Faculty Award (2015)
- AFOSR Summer Faculty Fellow - AFRL/RQ Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (2015)
- Stanford CTR Summer Program Fellowship (2010)
- Caltech Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) (2005)