- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2003
- M.S., Mathematics, University of Iowa, 1999
- B.A., Mathematics and Physics, Luther College, 1997
- Fall 2011-present, Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Fall 2011, Affiliate Faculty, Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications, University of Minnesota
- Summer 2010-present, Affiliate Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Fall 2005-Fall 2011, Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Fall 2003-Spring 2005, Visiting Assistant Professor/NSF VIGRE Postdoctoral Fellow, Division of Applied Mathematics, Brown University
For more information
Selected Articles in Journals
- J. H. Chaudhry, E. C. Cyr, K. Liu, T. A. Manteuffel, L. N. Olson, and L. Tang. "Enhancing Least-Squares Finite Element Methods Through a Quantity-of-Interest", SIAM J. Numer. Anal., 52(6), 30853105, 2015.
- P. Bochev, J. Lai, and L. Olson. A non-conforming least-squares finite element method for incompressible fluid flow problems. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 2012,
- N. Bell, S. Dalton, and L. Olson. Exposing fine-grained parallelism in algebraic multigrid methods. SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 34(4):C123C152, 2012.
- J. H. Chaudhry, S. D. Bond, and L. N. Olson. "A weighted adaptive least-squares finite element method for the Poisson-Boltzmann equation". Applied Mathematics and Computation 218(9):4892 4902, 2012.
- L. N. Olson and J. B. Schroder, "Smoothed aggregation multigrid solvers for high-order discontinuous galerkin methods for elliptic problems", Journal of Computational Physics, 2010, 230(18):6959-6976, 2011.
- J. Lai and L. Olson, "Algebraic multigrid for high-order hierarchical h(curl) finite elements", SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 2010, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 33(5):2888-2902,2011.
- L. N. Olson, J. B.Schroder, and R. S. Tuminaro, "A general interpolation strategy for algebraic multigrid using energy minimization", SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing 33(2):966991, 2011.
- P. Bochev, J. Lai, and L. Olson, "A locally conservative, discontinuous least-squares finite element method for the stokes equations", International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 2011.
- J. Chaudhry, S. Bond, and L. Olson, "Finite element approximation to a finite-size modified Poisson– Boltzmann equation", Journal of Scientific Computing pp. 1–18, 2010.
- D. Alber and L. Olson, "Bucket-sorted independent sets for algebraic multigrid", Electronic Transactions on Numerical Analysis 37:367 – 385, 2010.
- Hong, Z., Isfahani, A., Olson, L. N., Freund, J., "A spectral boundary integral method for micro-circulatory cellular flows", Journal of Computational Physics, 229(10):3726–3744, 2010.
- Olson, L.; Schroder, J.. "Smoothed Aggregation for Helmholtz Problems", Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, 17(2–3):361–386, 2010.
- Bond, S.; Chaudhry, J.; Cyr, E.; Olson, L.. "A first-order system least-squares finite element method for the Poisson-Boltzmann equation", Journal of Computational Chemistry, 31(8):1625–1635, 2010.
- Olson, Luke N; Schroder, Jacob; Tuminaro, Raymond S. "A new perspective on strength measures in algebraic multigrid", Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, 17(4):713–733, 2010.
- Bell, W.; Olson, L., "Algebraic Multigrid for k-form Laplacians," Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, volume 15, issue 2-3, pp. 165-185, 2008.
- Olson, Luke, "Algebraic Multigrid Preconditioning of High-Order Spectral Elements for Elliptic Problems on a Simplicial Mesh," SIAM Journal for Scientific Computing, volume 29, 2007, 2189.
- Alber, David; Olson, Luke, "Parallel Coarse-Grid Selection," Numerical Linear Algebra with Applications, volume 14, issue 8, October 2007, pp. 611-643.
- De Sterck, H; Manteuffel, T.; McCormick, S.; Olson, L.. "Numerical Conservation Properties of H(div)-Conforming Least-Squares Finite Element Methods for the Burgers Equation," SIAM Journal for Scientific Computing, volume 26 (5), 2005, pp. 1573-1597.
- Heys, J. J.; Manteuffel, T. A.; McCormick, S. F; Olson, L. N.. "Algebraic Multigrid (AMG) for Higher-Order Finite Elements," Journal of Computational Physics, Volume 204 (2), 10 April 2005, pp. 520-532.
- De Sterck, H; Manteuffel, T.; McCormick, S.; Olson, L. "Least-squares Finite Element Methods and Algebraic Multigrid Solvers for Linear Hyperbolic PDEs," SIAM Journal for Scientific Computing, volume 26 (1), 2004, pp. 31-54.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- L. N. Olson and J. B. Schroder. Components of a more robust multilevel solver for emerging architectures and complex applications. SciDAC 2011, July 10-14 2011.
- Lin, Xi; Olson, Luke; Jianming Jin, "An interpolatory spectral element method using curl-conforming vector basis functions on tetrahedra," Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, IEEE, pp. 5095-5098, June 2007.
- L.N. Olson, J.S. Hesthaven and L.C. Wilcox, "Developments in Overlapping High-Order Nodal Discontinuous Galerkin Methods," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 55, pp. 325-332, 2007.
- Associate Editor, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 2014-present
- Associate Editor, SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis, 2008-present
- National Science Foundation Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award. (2007)