Prashant Girdharilal Mehta
Primary Research Area
- Controls & Dynamics
- Ph.D. Mathematics Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 2004
- M.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 1996
- B.E. Electrical & Electronics Engineering Birla Institute of Technology & Sciences, Pilani, India 1993
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2011-date
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, Sept. 2005-August 15, 2011
For more information
Other Professional Employment
- Research Engineer, United Technologies Research Center, East Hartford, CT, 1996 - 1998, 2001-2005
Professor Prashant Mehta works at the intersection of nonlinear dynamical systems and control theory: Topics include analysis of fundamental limitations in control of nonlinear systems, model reduction methods for complex systems, and phase transition and learning in large-scale dynamic games.
His recent research involves analysis of phase transition in non-cooperative dynamic games with a large number of agents. The work aggregates concepts and techniques from nonlinear dynamical systems, game theory, and statistical mechanics to provide new tools for understanding complex interconnected systems. Specifically, a variant of the classical Kuramoto oscillator model is considered in a novel game-theoretic setting for control. It is shown that the synchronization of coupled oscillators can be interpreted as a solution of a non-cooperative dynamic game. The theoretical research is important to several applications in neuroscience, biology, economics, and large-scale engineering systems.
On the technology side, his recent research includes applications to systems biology and integrated energy efficient building systems. Prior to joining Illinois, Professor Mehta worked at the United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) in the area of modeling and control of combustion instabilities in jet engines and afterburners. The state-of-the-art in control of rotating wave combustion instabilities in jet engines and afterburners is based on a symmetry breaking solution that Professor Mehta invented together with his colleagues at UTRC.
- Controls & Dynamics
Selected Articles in Journals
- Yin, H., P. G. Mehta, S. P. Meyn, and U. V. Shanbhag, "Synchronization of Coupled Oscillators is a Game," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 57:4, 920-935, April 2012.
- Hur, P., K. Shorter, P. G. Mehta, and E. Hsiao-Wecksler, "Invariant Density Analysis: Modeling and Analysis of the Postural Control System using Markov Chains," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 59:4, 1094-1100, April 2012.
- Deng, K., P. G. Mehta, and S. P. Meyn, "Optimal Kullback-Leibler Aggregation via the Spectral Theory of Markov Chains," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 56:12, 2793-2808, December 2011.
- Yin, H., U. V. Shanbhag, and P. G. Mehta, "Nash Equilibrium Problems with Scaled Congestion Costs and Shared Constraints," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 56:7, 1702-1708, July 2011.
- Hao, H., P. Barooah, and P. G. Mehta, "Stability Margin Scaling of Distributed Formation Control as a Function of Network Structure," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 56:4, 923-929, April 2011.
- Sun, Y. and P. G. Mehta, The Kullback-Leibler Rate Pseudo-Metric for Comparing Dynamical Systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 55:7, 1585-1598, July 2010.
- Sun, Y. and P. G. Mehta, Bode-like Fundamental Performance Limitations in Control of Nonlinear Systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 55:6, 1390-1405, June 2010.
- Vaidya, U., P. G. Mehta, and U. Shanbhag, "Nonlinear Stabilization via Control Lyapunov Measure," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 55:6, 1314-1328, June 2010.
- Yin, H., P. Wang, T. Alpcan, and P. G. Mehta, Hopf Bifurcation and Oscillations in Communication Networks with Heterogeneous Delays, Automatica, 45:10, 2358-2367, October 2009.
- Mehta, P. G., Controlling Combustion, IEEE Control Systems Magazine, 29:4, 14-17, August 2009.
- Barooah, P., P. G. Mehta, and J. Hespanha, Mistuning-based Control Design to Improve Closed-loop Stability of Vehicular Platoons, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 54:9, 2100-2113, Sept 2009.
- Alpcan, T., P. Wang, P. G. Mehta, and T. Basar, A Non-equilibrium Analysis and Control Framework for Active Queue Management, Automatica, 44:10, 2474-2486, October 2008.
- Mehta, P. G., U. Vaidya, and A. Banaszuk, Markov Chains, Entropy, and Fundamental Limitations in Nonlinear Stabilization, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 53:3, 784-791, April 2008.
- Vaidya, U. and P. G. Mehta, Lyapunov Measure for Almost Everywhere Stability, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 53:1, 307-324, March 2008.
- Banaszuk, A., P. G. Mehta, and G. Hagen, The Role of Control in Design: From Fixing Problems to Design of Dynamics, Control Engineering Practice, 15:10, 1292-1305, October 2007.
- Mehta, P. G., G. Hagen, and A. Banaszuk, Symmetry and Symmetry-breaking for a Wave Equation with Feedback, SIAM Journal of Applied Dynamical Systems, 6:3, 549-575, July 2007.
- Mehta, P. G. and B. A. Eisenhower, Computational Modeling and Analysis of Multiple Steady-states in Vapor Compression Systems, ASME Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, 2:2, 132:140, April 2007.
- Mehta, P. G., M. Hessel, and M. Dellnitz, Symmetry of Attractors and the Perron-Frobenius Operator, Journal of Difference Equations and Applications, 12:11, 1147-1178, November 2006.
- Banaszuk, A., P. G. Mehta, C. Jacobson, and A. I. Khibnik, Limits of Achievable Performance of Controlled Combustion Processes, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, 14:5, 881-895, Sept. 2006.
- Mehta, P. G., G. Hagen, and A. Banaszuk, Dynamical Systems in Jet Engines: A Symmetry Based Approach, Invited Article for Dynamical Systems Magazine (DS Web), Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Oct. 2005. http://www.dynamicalsystems.org/ma/ma/display?item=128
- Mehta, P. G. and T. J. Healey, On Steady Solutions of Symmetry Preserving Perturbations of the 2D Couette Flow Problems," Physics of Fluids, 17:10, Oct. 2005.
- Mehta, P. G., M. C. Soteriou, and A. Banaszuk, Impact of Exothermicity on Steady and Linearized Response of Premixed Ducted Flame, Combustion & Flame, 141:4, 392-405, Jun. 2005.
- Healey, T. J. and P. G. Mehta, Straightforward Computations of Spatial Equilbria of Geometrically Exact Cosserat Rods, International Journal of Bifurcation & Chaos, 15:3, 949-965, Mar. 2005.
- Mehta, P. G., A Unified Well-posed Computational Approach to the 2D Orr-Sommerfeld Problem, Journal of Computations Physics, 199:2, 541-557, Sept. 2004.
- Member, ASME Energy Systems (ES) subcommittee
- Member, IEEE Control Systems Society
- Member, SIAM Dynamical Systems Group
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, Spring 2010
- Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award, College of Engineering, University of Illinois, 2010
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, Fall 2009
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, Spring 2009
- Excellence in Undergraduate Advising Award, College of Engineering, University of Illinois, 2008
- Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1994