- Ph.D. Aerospace Engineering, von KInstitute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI), Belgium and Universitegli Studi di Pisa, Italy, 2009
- M.S. Applied Fluid Dynamics, von KInstitute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI), Belgium, 2005
- M.S. Aerospace Engineering, Universiti Pisa, Italy 2003
- Affiliate Professor of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 10/2014-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 08/2012-present
- Visiting Scientist at NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, 94035, CA, 02/2009-08/2012
- Research Associate, Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, 06/2011-08/2012
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Insitute for Computational Engineering and Sciences, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 02/2009-06/2011
- Research Engineer, von KInstitute for Fluid Dynamics (VKI), 10/2003-09/2004
For more information
Major Consulting Activities
- 01/2005-01/2009, Consultant, European Space Research and Technology Center (VKI), von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics 1) CFD Validation in CO2 Environment, TRP, TEC-MPA/2005/111/LM, ESA/ESTEC. Responsible for the modeling of thermodynamics and transport properties. 2) Validation of Aerothermochemistry Models for Re-entry Applications Proposal in response to ITT AO/1-5210/07/NL/IA. ESA project. Responsible for the modeling of non-equilibrium effects, thermodynamics and transport properties.
- Uncertainty quantification
- Weakly ionized plasmas
- Non-equilibrium Chemistry and Radiation
- Hypersonic flows
Chapters in Books
- A. Bourdon, A. Bultel, M. Panesi, and T.E. Magin, "Kinetic mechanism for high enthalpy air flows," Course on hypersonic entry and cruise vehicles - RTO/VKI Lecture Series sponsored by RTO, DOE, AFOSR, & NASA held at Stanford University, 1 (1), 2008. ISBN-13. 978-2-930389-87-7
- M. Panesi, T.E. Magin, A. Bourdon, A. Bultel, and O. Chazot, "Collisional radiative modeling in flow simulation," RTO-EN-AVT-162 VKI Lecture Series, 1 (1), 2008. - ISBN 978-92-837-0091-3.
- W.M. Huo, M. Panesi and T.E. Magin, "Ionization Phenomena behind Shock Waves," High Temperature Phenomena in Shock Waves, Springer, 2012. ISBN 978-3-642-25118-4.
- R.L. Jaffe, D.W. Schwenke and M. Panesi, "First principles calculation of heavy particle rate coefficients: application to nitrogen dissociation" Hypersonic Non-equilibrium Flows: Fundamentals and Recent Advances. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2015 - ISBN 978-1-62410-328-5.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Doyle Knight et al."Assessment of Predictive Capabilities for Aerodynamic Heating in Hypersonic Flow", Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 2017. (Accepted)
- A. Sahai, N.M. Mansour, B. Lopez, M. Panesi "Modeling of a high pressure arc-discharge with the fully-implicit Navier-Stokes stabilized finite element flow solver" Plasma Sources Science and Technology (2017). (Accepted)
- A. Munafo, N.M. Mansour, M. Panesi, "A reduced-Order NLTE Kinetic Model for Radiating Plasmas of Outer Envolopes of Stellar Atmospheres" - Astrophysical Journal (2017), (Accepted).
- W. Zhang, A. Lani, M. Panesi,"Analysis of Non-equilibrium Phenomena in Inductively Coupled Plasma Generators", Physics of Plasma, 23, 073512 (2016)
- R. L. Macdonald, A. Munafo', C. O. Johnston, M. Panesi "Physics of Non-equilibrium Radiation and Dissociation of CO Molecules in Shock Heated Flows", Physical Review Fluids, 1, 043401 (2016).
- V. Laporta, K. Heritier, M. Panesi, "Electron-Vibrational Energy Transfer in Molecular Oxygen Plasmas", Chemical Physics, Vol. 472, 15, Pages 44-49, (2016)
- A. Harpale, M. Panesi, and H.B. Chew, "Plasma-Graphene Interaction and Its Effects on Nanoscale Patterning", Physical Review B 93, 035416, 10 pages, (2016).
- A. Munafo, Y. Liu, and M. Panesi "Modeling of dissociation and energy transfer in shock-heated nitrogen flows", Physics of Fluids, 27, 127101, 23 pages, (2015).
- A. Munafo, S.A. Alfuhaid, J.L. Cambier, and M. Panesi "A tightly coupled non-equilibrium magneto-hydrodynamic model for Inductively Coupled RF Plasmas", Journal of Applied Physics, Vol.118, (13), 133303, 11 pages, (2015).
- K. Miki, M. Panesi, and S. Prudhomme, "Systematic Validation of Non-Equilibrium Thermochemical Models using Bayesian Approach," Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 298, 125-144, 20 pages, (2015).
- Y. Liu, M. Panesi, A. Sahai, and M. Vinokur "Generalized Multi-Group Macroscopic Modeling for Thermo-Chemical Non-Equilibrium Gas Mixtures". Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol. 142, 134109, 17 pages, (2015).
- A. Harpale, M. Panesi, and H.B. Chew "Surface-to-bulk diffusion of isolated versus interacting C atoms in Ni(111) and Cu(111) substrates: A first principle investigation", Journal of Chemical Physics: Communication, Vol 142, 061101, 4 pages, (2015).
- K.L. Heritier, R.L. Jaffe, V. Laporta, and M. Panesi, "Energy Transfer Models in Nitrogen Plasmas: Analysis of N2-N-e Interaction", Journal of Chemical Physics Vol.141, 184302, 16 pages, (2014).
- M. Panesi, A. Munafo, T.E. Magin, and R.L. Jaffe, "Non-equilibrium shock-heated nitrogen flows using a rovibrational state-to-state method" - Physical Review E, Vol.90, No.1, 013009, 16 pages, (2014).
- D. Kotov, H. Yee, M. Panesi, D. Prabhu, and A. Wray, "Computational Challenges for Simulations Related to the NASA Electric Arc Shock Tube Experiments", Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 269, 215-233, 19 pages, (2014).
- A. Munafo, M. Panesi, and T.E. Magin, "Boltzmann Rovibrational collisional model for internal energy excitation and dissociation in hypersonic flows" Physical Review E, Vol.89, No.2, 023001, 13 pages, (2014).
- G. Colonna, G. DAmmando, A.S. Dikalyuk, M. Panesi, L.D. Pietanza, and S. T. Surzhikov "Advanced Models in Shock Waves", special issue on Molecular Physics and Plasmas in Hypersonics, The Open Plasma Physics Journal 7, 24-33, 10 pages, (2014).
- A. Munafo, A. Lani, A. Bultel, and M. Panesi, "Modeling of Non-Equilibrium Phenomena in Expanding Flows by means of a Collisional-Radiative Model", Physics of Plasmas 20, 073501, 14 pages, (2013).
- M. Panesi, and A. Lani "Collisional Radiative Coarse-Grain Model for Ionization in Air", Physics of Fluids, Vol.25, No.5, 057101, 27 pages, (2013).
- M. Panesi, R.L. Jaffe, D. Schwenke, and T.E. Magin "Rovibrational internal energy transfer and dissociation of N2-N system in hypersonic flows", Journal of Chemical Physics, Vol.138, No.4, 044312, 16 pages (2013).
- M. Panesi, K. Miki, S. Prudhomme, and A. Brandis, "On the validation of the data reduction model with application to shock tube experiments," Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 213-216, (383-398), (2012).
- K. Miki, M. Panesi, E. Prudencio, and S. Prudhomme, "Probabilistic Models and Uncertainty Quantification for the Ionization Reaction Rate of Atomic Nitrogen, Journal of Computational Physics. Vol. 231, No.9, p. (3871-3886), (2012).
- K. Miki, M. Panesi, E. Prudencio, and S. Prudhomme, "Estimation of the Nitrogen Ionization Reaction Rate Using EAST Data and Bayesian Model Analysis," Physics of Plasmas Vol.19, No 2, p. 19,023507,(2012).
- A. Munaf. Panesi, G. Colonna, R.L. Jaffe, A. Bourdon, and T.E. Magin, QCT-based vibrational collisional models applied to non-equilibrium nozzle flows, The European Physical Journal D, Vol. 66, p. 188, 11 pages, (2012).
- A. Lani, M. Panesi, and H. Deckoninck, "Conservative Residual Distribution Method for Viscous Double Cone Flows in Thermochemical Non-equilibrium," Communication in Computational Physics, 13, pp. 479-501, (2012).
- T.E. Magin, M. Panesi, A. Bourdon, R.L. Jaffe, and D.W. Schwenke, "Coarse-graining model for rovibrational energy excitation and dissociation of molecular nitrogen," Chemical Physics Special Issue Chemical Physics of Low Temperature Plasmas, Vol. 398, p.90-95, 6 pages, (2011).
- M. Panesi, T.E. Magin, A Bourdon, A. Bultel, and O. Chazot, "Electronic Excitation of atoms and molecules for the Fire II Flight Experiment," Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 0887-8722 Vol. 25 No.3 (361-374), 14 pages,(2011).
- M. Panesi, T. E. Magin, A. Bourdon, A. Bultel, and O. Chazot, "Analysis of the Fire II Flight Experiment by Means of a Collisional Radiative Model," Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 0887-8722 Vol.23 No.2 (236-248), (2009).
- G. Degrez, A. Lani, M. Panesi, O Chazot, and H. Deconinck, "Modelling of high-enthalpy, high-Mach number flows," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol.42 No.19 1940(04-20), (2009).
- M. Panesi, P. Rini, G. Degrez, and O. Chazot, "Analysis of Chemical Non-Equilibrium and Elemental Demixing in the VKI Plasmatron," Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, 0887-8722 Vol.21 No.1 (57-66), (2007).
- European Community on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences, Member
- Senior Member, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- Member of Plasmadynamics & Lasers Technical Committee (2013-present)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students (Spring 2016)
- 2016 Dean's Award for Excellence in Research (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign) (2016)
- 2015 NASA Early Career Faculty Award (ECF) (2015)
- 2015 Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship Program, AFRL/RQ EDWARDS AF BASE, California, USA. (2015)
- 2015 Award on Physical Modelling (8th Symposium on Aerothermodynamics for Space Vehicles - ESA) (2015)
- 2015 Air Force Young Investigator Award (YIP) (2015)
- 2014 Air Force Summer Faculty Fellowship Program, AFRL/RQ EDWARDS AF BASE, California, USA. (2014)
- Visiting Faculty Fellowship at the University of Rouen, France (2014)
- J. Tinsley Oden Faculty Fellowship, ICES, UT Austin, TX. (2013)
- David Weaver Best Student Paper in Thermophysics 42nd AIAA Conference (2011) (2011)
- 2011 Award Fundamentals on Aerothermodynamics (7th Symposium on Aerothermodynamics for Space Vehicles - ESA) (2011)
- CTR Summer Program Fellowship 2008 (Stanford/NASA) (2008)
- NATO Fellowship - von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics (Ph.D.) (2006-2009)
- NATO Fellowship - von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics (M.S.) (2005)