Primary Research Area
- Controls & Dynamics
- Ph.D., Control and Dynamical Systems, California Institute of Technology, 2004
- B.Sc., Pure and Applied Mathematics, University of Western Australia, 1996
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2012-date
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, January 15, 2008-August 15, 2012
- Assistant Professor, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, April 2004-January 2008
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of California, Davis, January 2003-March 2004
For more information
Professor West's research interests include asynchronous and structure-preserving integrators, stochastic simulation and uncertainty quantification, and multi-scale and multi-physics simulations. He has investigated the use of computers to simulate problems with fluids and boundaries, such as droplets in an engine injector system or the inflation of gas inside an airbag.
His work has the potential to make a significant impact on both energy efficiency and clean combustion in automobiles, as well as transportation safety. In 2004, he was named a Terman Fellow in the School of Engineering at Stanford, an honor that is conferred on promising faculty.
- Controls & Dynamics
Selected Articles in Journals
- Lee, S. H. and M. West, "Convergence of the Markov Chain Distributed Particle Filter (MCDPF)," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing 61(4), 801-812, 2013.
- DeVille, R. E. L., N. Riemer, and M. West, "The Weighted Flow Algorithm (WFA) for Stochastic Particle Coagulation," Journal of Computational Physics 230(23), 8427-8451, 2011.
- Zaveri, R. A., J. C. Barnard, R. C. Easter, N. Riemer, and M. West, "Particle-resolved Simulation of Aerosol Size, Composition, Mixing State, and the Associated Optical and Cloud Condensation Nuclei Activation Properties in an Evolving Urban Plume," Journal of Geophysical Research 115(D17210), 2010.
- Riemer, N., M. West, R. A. Zaveri, and R. C. Easter, "Estimating Black Carbon Aging Time-scales with a Particle-resolved Aerosol Model," Journal of Aerosol Science 41(1), 143-158, 2010.
- Riemer, N., M. West, R. A. Zaveri, and R. C. Easter, "Simulating the Evolution of Soot Mixing State with a Particle-Resolved Aerosol Model," Journal of Geophysical Research, 114(D09202), 2009.
- McGraw, R., L. Leng, W. Zhu, N. Riemer, and M. West, "Aerosol Dynamics using the Quadrature Method of Moments: Comparing Several Quadrature Schemes with Particle-Resolved Simulation," Journal of Physics: Conference Series, 125 (012020), 2008.
- Lessard, L., M. West, D. MacMynowski, and S. Lall, "Warm-stated Wavefront Reconstruction for Adaptive for Adaptive Optics," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, 25:5, 1147-1155, 2008.
- Lessard, L., D. MacMynowski, M. West, A. Bouchez, and S. Lall, "Experimental Validation of Single-iteration Multigrid Wavefront Reconstruction at the Palomar Observatory," Optics Letters, 33:18, 2047-2049, 2008.
- Jalnapurkar, S. M., M. Leok, J. E. Marsden, and M. West, "Discrete Routh Reduction," Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General, 39:19, 5521-5544, 2006.
- Lall, S. and M. West, "Discrete Variational Hamiltonian Mechanics," Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General, 39:19, 5509-5519, 2006.
- Bhat, H. S., R. C. Fetecau, J. E. Marsden, K. Mohseni, and M. West, "Lagrangian Averaging for Compressible Fluids," Multiscale Modeling and Simulation, 3:4, 818-837, 2005.
- Cirak, F. and M. West, "Decomposition Contact Response (DCR) for Explicit Finite Element Dynamics," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 64:8, 1078-1110, 2005.
- Lew, A., J. E. Marsden, M. Ortiz, and M. West, "Variational Time Integrators," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 60:1, 153-212, 2004.
- Oliver, M., M. West, and C. Wulff, "Approximate Momentum Conservation for Spatial Semidiscretizations of Semilinear Wave Equations," Numerische Mathematik, 97:3, 493-535, 2004.
- Fetecau, R. C., J. E. Marsden, M. Ortiz, and M. West, "Nonsmooth Lagrangian Mechanics and Variational Collision Integrators," SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, 2:3, 381-416, 2003.
- Lew, A., J. E. Marsden, M. Ortiz, and M. West, "Asynchronous Variational Integrators," Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, 167:2, 85-146, 2003.
- Marsden, J. E., S. Pekarsky, S. Shkoller, and M. West, "Variational Methods, Multisymplectic Geometry and Continuum Mechanics," Journal of Geometry and Physics, 38:3-4, 253-284, 2001.
- Marsden, J. E. and M. West, "Discrete Mechanics and Variational Integrators," Acta Numerica, 10, 357-514, 2001.
- Kane, C., J. E. Marsden, M. Ortiz, and M. West, "Variational Integrators and the Newmark Algorithm for Conservative and Dissipative Mechanical Systems," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 49:10, 1295-1325, 2000.
- Allingham, D., M. West, and A. I. Mees, "Wavelet Reconstruction of Nonlinear Dynamics," International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos, 8:11, 2191-2201, 1998.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Mathematical Society (AMS)
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
- UIUC List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, TAM 542, Spring 2011
- UIUC List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students, TAM 541, Fall 2010
- ASUCD (Associated Studies of the University of California, Davis), Excellence in Education Award, 2004