- Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, Purdue University, December 1988
For more information
- Robotics: Vision-based Control, Path Planning, Planning under Uncertainty, Pursuit-evasion, localization and mapping.
- Computer vision and pattern recognition
- Decentralized and distributed control
- Multi-agent systems and robot control
- Nonlinear systems and control
- Robotics and motion planning
- Robotics, vision, and artificial intelligence
- Stochastic systems and control
- Vision-based control
Books Authored or Co-Authored (Original Editions)
- M. Spong, S. Hutchinson, M. Vidyasagar, Robot Modeling and Control, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2006.
- H. Choset, K. M. Lynch, S. Hutchinson, G. Kantor, W. Burgard, L. E. Kavraki and S. Thrun, Principles of Robot Motion: Theory, Algorithms, and Implementations, MIT Press, Boston, 2005.
- College of Engineering Advisor's List, 1993, 1995-96, 2011
- Incomplete List of Teachers Ranked Excellent by Their Students, Spring 1990 (ECE290); Fall 2000 (ECE313); Spring 2001 (ECE 290); Spring 2003 (ECE 450); Fall 2004 (ECE 470); Fall 2005 (ECE 470); Spring 2007 (ECE 550)
- Magoon Teaching Award, Fall 1985
- Best Paper Award, Fourth Mexican International Conference on Artificial Intelligence, R. Murrieta-Cid, a. Sarmiento, T. Muppirala, S. Hutchinson, R. Monroy, M. Alencastre-Miranda, L. Muoz-Cmez and R. Swain, "A Framework for Reactive Motion and Sensing Planning: A Critical Events-based Approach," in Advances in Artificial Intelligenct - MICAI, A. Gelbukh, A. Albornoz, H. Terashima-Marn (Eds.), springer-Verlag LCNS 3789, 2005, pp. 990-1000. (2005)
- Best Paper Award, IX IBero-American Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IBERAMIA), A. Sarmiento, R. Murrieta-Cid and S. Hutchinson, "A Multi-robot Strategy for Rapidly Searching a Polygonal Environment," in Advances in Artificial Intelligence - IBERAMIA, C. Lemaitre, C.A. Reyes, J.A. Gonalez (eds.), Springer-Verlag, heidelberg, LCNS 3315, 2004, pp. 484-493 (2004)
- Finalist (one of five) for the 1998 King-Sun Fu Memorial Best Transactions Paper Award, S. La Valle and S. Hutchinson, "Multiple-Robto Motion Planning Under Independent Objectives," IEEE Trans. On Robotics and Automation, vol. 14, no. 6, Dec. 1998, pp. 912-925. (1999)
- Finalist for the 1996 King-Sun Fu Memorial Best Transactions Paper Award, given annually for the best paper published in the "IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation," S. Hutchinson, G. Hager, and P. Corke, "A Tutorial on Visual Servo Control," IEEE Trans. on Robotics and Automation, Vol. 12, No. 5, Oct. 1996, pp. 651-670. (1997)
- Arnold O. Beckman Research Award, 1994 (1994)
- Distinguished Student Paper Award, S. LaValle and S. Hutchinson, "On Considering Uncertainty and Alternatives in Low-Level Vision," Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, 1993. (1993)
- NSF Research Initiation Award, 1991