- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH), 2000
- MS, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, UCLA, 2005
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 2009
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, November 1, 2011-date
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Rogers Research Group, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, March 16 2009-October 31, 2011
- Research Assistant, NanoRobotics Laboratory, Carnegie Mellon University, PA, August 2005-January 2009
- Graduate Student Researcher, MicroManufacturing Laboratory, University of California at Los Angeles, CA, September 2003-December 2004
For more information
- President of Korean Graduate Student Association, UCLA, September 2004-December 2004
- Health and Bio
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics
Selected Articles in Journals
- Keum, H., M. Seong, S. Sinha, and S. Kim, "Electrostatically Driven Collapsible Au Thin Films Assembled Using Transfer Printing for Thermal Switching," Applied Physics Letters, 100, 211904, 2012.
- Keum, H., A. Carlson, H. Ning, A. Mihi, J.D. Eisenhaure, P.V. Braun, J.A. Rogers, and S. Kim, "Silicon Micro-Masonry Using Elastomeric Stamps for Three-Dimensional Microfabrication," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 20, 055018, 2012.
- Cheng, H., M. Li, J. Wu, A. Carlson, S. Kim, Y. Huang, Z. Kang, K.-C. Hwang, and J.A. Rogers, A Viscoelastic Model for the Rate Effect in Transfer Printing, Journal of Applied Mechanics -Transactions of the ASME, 80, 041019, 2012.
- Su, Y., Z. Liu, S. Kim, J. Wu, Y. Huang, and J.A. Rogers, "Mechanics of Stretchable Electronics with High Fill Factors," International Journal of Solids & Structures, 49, 3416, 2012.
- Kim, S., A. Carlson, H. Cheng, S. Lee, J.-K. Park, Y. Huang, and J.A. Rogers , Enhanced Adhesion With Pedestal-Shaped Elastomeric Stamps for Transfer Printing, Applied Physics Letters, 100, 171909, 2012.
- Yang, S.Y., A. Carlson, H. Cheng, Q. Yu, N. Ahmed, J. Wu, S. Kim, M. Sitti, P.M. Ferreira, Y. Huang, and J.A. Rogers, Elastomer Surfaces with Directionally Dependent Adhesion Strength and their use in Transfer Printing with Continuous Roll-To-Roll Applications, Advanced Materials, 24, 2117, 2012.
- Yang, H., D. Zhao, J.-H. Seo, S. Chuwongin, S. Kim, J.A. Rogers, Z. Ma, and W. Zhou, Broadband Membrane Reflectors on Glass, Photonics Technology Letters, 24, 476, 2012.
- Kim, S., Y. Su, A. Mihi, S. Lee, Z. Liu, T.K. Bhandakkar, J. Wu, J.B. Geddes III, H.T. Johnson, Y. Zhang, J.-K. Park, P.V. Braun, Y. Huang, and J.A. Rogers, Imbricate Scales as a Design Construct for Microsystems Technologies, Small, 8, 901, 2012.
- Meguc Y., S. Yang, S. Kim, J.A. Rogers, and M. Sitti, Gecko Inspired Controllable Adhesive Structures Applied to Micromanipulation, Advanced Functional Materials, 22, 1245, 2012.
- Wu, J., S. Kim, A. Carlson, C.F. Lu, K.-C. Hwang, Y. Huang, and J.A. Rogers, "Contact Radius of Stamps in Reversible Adhesion," Theoretical and Applied Mechanics Letters, 1, 011001, 2011.
- Oh, D., S. Kim, S. Sinha, J. A. Rogers, and D. Cahill, Interfacial Thermal Conductance of Transfer-printed Metal Films, Advanced Materials, 23, 5028, 2011.
- Wu, J., S. Kim, W. Chen, A. Carlson, K.-C. Hwang, Y. Huang, and J.A. Rogers, Mechanics of Reversible Adhesion, Soft Matter, 7, 8657, 2011.
- Kim, H., E. Brueckner, J. Song, Y. Li, S. Kim, C. Lu, J. Sulkin, K. Choquette, Y. Huang, R.G. Nuzzo, and J.A. Rogers, Unusual Strategies for using Indium Gallium Nitride Grown on Silicon (111) for Solid-state Lighting, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, 108, 10072, 2011.
- Kim, S., J. Wu, A. Carlson, S.H. Jin, A. Kovalsky, P. Glass, Z. Liu, N. Ahmed, S.L. Elgan, W. Chen, P.M. Ferreira, M. Sitti, Y. Huang, and J.A. Rogers, Microstructured Elastomeric Surfaces with Reversible Adhesion and an Example of Their use in Deterministic Assembly by Transfer Printing, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, 107, 17095, 2010.
- Kim, S., M. Sitti, T. Xie, and X. Xia, Reversible Dry Micro-fibrillar Adhesives with Thermally Controllable Adhesion, Soft Matter, 5, 3689, 2009.
- Kim, S., E. Cheung, and M. Sitti, Wet Self-cleaning of Biologically Inspired Elastomer Mushroom Shaped Microfibrillar Adhesives, Langmuir, 25, 7196, 2009.
- Murphy, M. P., S. Kim, and M. Sitti, Enhanced Adhesion by Gecko-inspired Hierarchical Fibrillar Adhesives, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 1, 849, 2009.
- Long, R., C.-Y. Hui, S. Kim, and M. Sitti, Modeling the Soft Backing Layer Thickness Effect on Adhesion of Elastic Microfiber Arrays, Journal of Applied Physics, 104, 044301, 2008.
- Kim, S., B. Aksak, and M. Sitti, Enhanced Friction of Elastomer Microfiber Adhesives with Spatulate Tips, Applied Physics Letters, 91, 221913, 2007.
- Kim, S., M. Sitti, C.-Y. Hui, R. Long, and A. Jagota, Effect of Backing Layer Thickness on Adhesion of Single-level Elastomer Fiber Arrays, Applied Physics Letters, 91, 161905, 2007.
- Kim, S. and M. Sitti, Biologically Inspired Polymer Microfibers with Spatulate Tips as Repeatable Fibrillar Adhesives, Applied Physics Letters, 89, 261911, 2006.
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- National Science Foundation CAREER (Faculty Early Career Development) Award, 2014
- Applied Physics Letter paper selected among 15 core papers of research front on GECKO ADHESIVE SETAE from the field of material science for mapping from the list of Fast Moving Fronts by Thomson Scientific, 2008
- CNSI (California NanoSystems Institute) Fellowship, UCLA, 2003