Civil and Environmental Engineering Excellence Faculty Scholar
- Arthur C. Nauman Endowed Professor
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Excellence Faculty Scholar
Primary Research Area
- Environmental Engineering and Science
- B.S. Civil Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan, 1984
- M.Sc. Environmental Science, Rutgers the State University of New Jersey, 1989
- M.Eng. Environmental Engineering, University of California at Berkeley, 1992
- Ph.D. Urban Engineering, University of Tokyo, Japan, 1995
Dr. Wen-Tso Liu holds a B.S. (National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan) in Civil Engineering, an MS (Rutgers University) in Environmental Science, an MEng (University of California at Berkeley) in Environmental Engineering, and Ph.D. (University of Tokyo, 1995) in Urban Engineering. He has been a professor at the department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois since 2008. Prior to 2008, Dr. Liu served as a professor at National Central University, Taiwan (1998-01) and at National University of Singapore (2001-08). He also worked as a post-doctoral scientist at Michigan State University (1995-97) and Northwestern University (1997-98).
Dr. Liu has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in water quality control engineering, biological principles in environmental engineering, environmental microbiology, wastewater biotechnology, and current topics in environmental biotechnology.
Dr. Lius recognitions include Arthur Nauman Endowed Professor and CEE Excellence Faculty Scholar at UIUC, the distinguished alumni award and honorary international professorship of National Taipei University of Technology (2012), the visiting professorship of Shanghai Jiao-Tung University (2006-2009), the Asian Young Biotechnologist Prize (2005), and National Science Council research award, Taiwan (2000). He is a member of the American Society of Microbiology, International Society on Microbial Ecology, International Water Association, and American Water Work Association. He serves a member of the editorial board for several leading journals in Environmental Microbiology such as Microbial Ecology and the ISME journal by the publisher of Nature. He has contributed as a reviewer for more than 15 leading journals.
- Assistant Professor, National Central University, 1998-2001
- Assistant Professor, National University of Singapore, 2003-2004
- Associate faculty member, NUS Graduate School (NGS) for Integrative Sciene and Engineering 2003-2008 (0%)
- Associate Professor, National University of Singapore, 2004-2008
- Joint Appointed Faculty, Inst of Microelectronics, Singapore, 2005-2006(25%), 2006-2007 (50%)
- Guest Professor, Shanghai Jiao-Tong Univ, China 2006-2009 (0%)
- Visiting Associate Professor, National University of Singapore, 2008-2011 (0%)
- Faculty member, Biocomplexity theme group, Institute for Genomic Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008-present (0%)
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2008-2011
- Distinguished Visiting Professor, National Taipei University of Technology, Taiwan 2012-2013 (0%)
- Chair, Environmental Engineering & Science program, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, UIUC, 2013-2015
- Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2011-present
For more information
Dr. Lius research focuses on "water microbiome" that describes the ecological roles of microbes in different water systems including watershed, drinking water systems, and wastewater treatment and reclamation systems. In studying water microbiome, the greatest scientific challenges are to fully understand the role of microbes and correlate the findings with comprehensive metadata (i.e., physical, chemical, and geological data) in individual water systems. In specific, it is critical to know who they are (microbial diversity), what and how they perform different metabolic functions (e.g. C and N cycling), and whether the microbial diversity and function can be influenced or controlled in water systems. The knowledge can be further used to improve water cycling within the natural and engineered systems, and to protect the public health.
Dr. Liu has conducted various research topics in the past two decades, including enhanced biological phosphorus removal processes, development of molecular tools such as terminal Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism (t-RFLP), membrane bioreactors and membrane biofouling, biosensors, microbial ecology of drinking water distribution systems, nexus of syntrophs and methanogens in anaerobic digesters (AD), and water and bioenergy recovery. Among all ongoing projects, one is Digester Microbiome Project (DMP) funded by DoE. DMP explores the microbial diversity and function in anaerobic digesters (AD) using the next-generation DNA sequencing technologies with an ultimate engineering goal to maximize biogas (CH4) production in AD.
- WATER MICROBIOLOGY; i) To address biofouling problems associated with membrane-based water separation processes through the use of novel antimicrobial agents; ii) To identify/monitor microbial populations responsible for biofouling problems in membran-based water separation processes; iii) To understand the mechanisms of biofilm formation in membrane-based water separation processes at molecular signaling levels; iv) To understand the microbial ecology of drinking water distribution system biofilms; v) To detect waterborne pathogens in various water sources
- WASTEWATER MICROBIOLOGY/MICROBIAL ECOLOGY: i)To characterize microbial diversity (species richness, evenness and composition) in various ecosystems, and to correlate the microbial diversity with community functions (chemical degradation, biopolymer production, and nutrients removal); ii) To optimize the enhanced biological phosphorus removal processes through better understandings of microbiology and biochemistry; iii) To characterize microbial communities in upper-flow anaerobic sludge blanket reactors treating industrial wastewater: iv) To design/optimize membrane bioreactors for wastewater treatments and nutrient removal; v) To design/optimize microbial fuel cell. Water Microbiology
Books Edited or Co-Edited (Original Editions)
- Liu, W.T and J. Jansson, Environmental Molecular Microbiology, Caister Academic Press, 2010.
Chapters in Books
- Kagia, K. and W.-T. Liu. 2014. The Family Dermatophilaceae. In S. Falkow, E. Rosenberg, K-H Schleifer, and E. Stackebrandt. The Prokaryotes: Actinobacteria. pp. 317-325 Springer.
- Cheng, SS, TM Liang, R Anatrya. WT Liu. Development and Application of Anaerobic Technology for the Treatment of Chemical Effluents in Taiwan. In HHP Fang (Ed) Anaerobic Biotechnology: Environmental Protection and Resource Recovery. World Scientific Publishing Co., 2015.
- Narihiro, T, MK Nobu, R Mei, WT Liu. Microbial community involved in anaerobic purified terephthalic acid treatment process. In HHP Fang (Ed) Anaerobic Biotechnology: Environmental Protection and Resource Recovery. World Scientific Publishing Co., 2015.
- Liu, W-T. 2010. Terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism (T-RFLP). In R. Seviour and P. H. Nielsen (Eds.). Microbial Ecology of Activated Sludge. IWA Publishing.
- Prosser, J, J.K. Jansson, and W.-T. Liu. 2010. Nucleic-acid-based characterization of community structure and function. In W.-T. Liu and J.K. Jansson (Eds.). Environmental Molecular Microbiology, Caister Academic Press.
- Liu, W.-T. and D. A. Stahl. 2006. Molecular approaches for the measurement of density, diversity, and phylogeny. In Hurst, C. J., Knudsen, G. R., McInerney, M. J., Stetzenbach, L. D., and Walter, M. V. (3rd Eds.) Manual of Environmental Microbiology, ASM press, Washington, D.C.
- Liu, W.-T. and D. A. Stahl. 2001. Molecular approaches for the measurement of density, diversity, and phylogeny. In Hurst, C. J., Knudsen, G. R., McInerney, M. J., Stetzenbach, L. D., and Walter, M. V. (Eds.) Manual of Environmental Microbiology, 114-134. ASM press, Washington, D.C.
- Liu, W.T., J.H. Wu, O.C. Chan, S.S. Cheng, I.C. Tseng, and H. H. P. Fang. 2001. Comparison of microbial communities in anaerobic granulated sludge reactors treating benzoate, methyl benzoate and terephthalate. pp. 7988. In Matsuo, T, Hanaki H, Takizawa, S., and Satoh, H. (Eds) Advances in Water and Wastewater Treatment Technology, Elsevier, Tokyo.
- Ouyang, C.F., Y.J. Chou, T.Y. Pai, H.Y. Chang and W.T. Liu. 2001. Optimization of enhanced biological wastewater treatment processes using a step-feed approach. pp. 207-218. In Matsuo, T, Hanaki H, Takizawa, S., and Satoh, H. (Eds) Advances in Water and Wastewater Treatment Technology, Elsevier, Tokyo.
- You, S.J., W.-T. Liu, M. Onuki, T. Mino, H. Satoh, T. Matuso and C.F. Ouyang. 2001. Identification on predominant microbial populations in a non-phosphate removal anaerobic aerobic bioreactor fed with fermented products. pp. 295-304. In Matsuo, T, Hanaki H, Takizawa, S., and Satoh, H. (Eds) Advances in Water and Wastewater Treatment Technology, Elsevier, Tokyo.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Shen, Y, C Huang, J Lin, W Wu, NJ Ashbolt, WT Liu, TH Nguyen. 2016. Effect of disinfectant exposure on Legionella pneumophila associated with simulated drinking water biofilms: release, inactivation, and infectivity. Environmental Science & Technology (in press).
- Paez-Espino, D et al. 2016. IMG/VR: a database of cultured and uncultured DNA Viruses and retroviruses. Nucl Acids Res (2016) 45 (D1): D457-D465.
- Narihiro, T, MK Nobu, H Tamaki, Y Kamagata, Y Sekiguchi, WT Liu. 2016. Comparative Genomics of Syntrophic Branched-Chain Fatty Acid Degrading Bacteria. Microbes and Environments 31 (3), 288-292.
- Mei, R, T Narihiro, MK Nobu, K Kuroda, WT Liu. 2016. Evaluating digestion efficiency in full-scale anaerobic digesters by identifying active microbial populations through the lens of microbial activity. Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 34090.
- Browne, P, H Tamaki, N Kyrpides, T Woyke, L Goodwin, H Imachi, S Brr, JB Yavitt, WT Liu, S Zinder, and H Cadillo-Quiroz. 2016. Genomic composition and dynamics among Methanomicrobiales predict adaptation to contrasting environments. The ISME Journal11, 87-99.
- Li, C, F Ling, M Zhang, WT Liu, Y Li, W Liu. 2016. Characterization of bacterial community dynamics in a full-scale drinking water treatment plant. Journal of Environmental Sciences: 51:21-30.
- Shinzato, N, H Aoyama, S Saitoh, N Nikoh, K Nakano, M Shimoji, M Shinzato, K Satou, K Teruya, T Hirano, T Yamada, M K Nobu, H Tamaki, Y Shirai, S Park, T Narihiro, WT Liu, Y Kamagata. 2016. Complete genome sequence of the intracellular bacterial symbiont TC1 in the anaerobic ciliate Trimyema compressum. Genome Announcements 4 (5), e01032-16.
- Mei, R, T Narihiro, MK Nobu, WT Liu. 2016. Effects of heat shocks on microbial community structure and microbial activity of a methanogenic enrichment degrading benzoate. Letters in applied microbiology 63 (5), 356-362.
- Kuroda, K, MK Nobu, R Mei, T Narihiro, BTW Bocher, T Yamaguchi, and WT Liu. 2017. A Single-Granule-Level Approach Reveals Ecological Heterogeneity in an Upflow Anaerobic Sludge Blanket Reactor. PLoS One, 12: e0167788.
- Oh, S, R Zhang, QL Wu, WT Liu. 2016. Evolution and adaptation of SAR11 and Cyanobium in a saline Tibetan lake. Environ Microbiol Reports, Environmental microbiology reports 8 (5), 595-604.
- Zhang, M, Y Sun, Y Liu, F Qiao, L Chen, WT Liu, Z Du, E Li. 2016. Response of gut microbiota to salinity change in two euryhaline aquatic animals with reverse salinity preference. Aquaculture, 454:72-80.
- Shen, Y, C Huang, GL Monroy, D Janjaroen, N Derlon, J Lin, RM Espinosa-Marzal, E Morgenroth, SA Boppart, NJ Ashbolt, WT Liu, TH Nguyen. 2016. Response of simulated drinking water biofilm mechanical and structural properties to long-term disinfectant exposure. Environ. Sci. Technol., 50 (4), pp 17791787.
- Oh, S, D Yoo, WT Liu. 2016. Metagenomics Reveals a Novel Virophage Population in a Tibetan Mountain Lake. Microbes and environments 31 (2), 173-177.
- Liu, G, FQ Ling, EJ Van der Mark, XD Zhang, A Knezev, JQJC Verberk, WGJ Van der Meer, GJ Medema, WT Liu, JC Van Dijk. 2016. Comparison of Particle-Associated Bacteria from a Drinking Water Treatment Plant and Distribution Reservoirs with Different Water Sources. Scientific Report. 6:20367.
- Kim, NK, S Oh, WT Liu. 2016. Enrichment and characterization of microbial consortia degrading soluble microbial products discharged from anaerobic methanogenic bioreactors. Water Research 90, 395-404.
- Nobu, MK, T Narihiro, K Kuroda, R Mei, WT Liu. 2016. Chasing the elusive Euryarchaeota class WSA2: genomes reveal a uniquely fastidious methyl-reducing methanogen. ISME J (in press).
- Narihiro, T, MK Nobu, H Tamaki, Y Kamagata, WT Liu. 2016. Draft genome sequence of Syntrophomonas wolfei subsp. methylbutyratica strain 4J5T (JCM 14075), a mesophilic butyrate-and 2-methylbutyrate-degrading syntroph. Genome announcements 4 (2), e00047-16.
- Ling, F, C Hwang, MW LeChevallier, GL Andersen, WT Liu. 2016. Core-satellite populations and seasonality of water meter biofilms in a metropolitan drinking water distribution system. ISME J. 10:582-595.
- Lu, H, AV Ulanov, MK Nobu, and WT Liu. 2016. Global metabolomic responses of Nitrosomonas europaea 19718 to cold stress and altered ammonia feeding patterns. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 100:1843-1852.
- Liu, YQ, X Zhang, R Zhang, WT Liu, JH Tay. 2016. Effects of hydraulic retention time on aerobic granulation and granule growth kinetics at steady state with a fast start-up strategy. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 100 (1), 469-477.
- Rui, J, J Li, S Wang, J An, W Liu, Q Lin, Y Yang, Z He, X Li. 2015. Responses of bacterial communities to simulated climate changes in alpine meadow soil of the Qinghai-Tibet Plateau. Applied and environmental microbiology 81 (17), 6070-6077.
- Zhang, Y, PY Hong, MW LeChevallier, WT Liu. 2015. Phenotypic and Phylogenetic Identification of Coliform Bacteria Obtained Using 12 Coliform Methods Approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency. Applied and environmental microbiology 81 (17), 6012-6023.
- Lu, H, Z Xui, P. Sakaly, S. Nunes, T. Bluver, and WT Liu. 2015. Membrane biofouling in a wastewater nitrification reactor: microbial succession from autotrophic colonization to heterotrophic domination. Water Research, 88, 337-345.
- Nobu MK, Dodsworth JA, Murugapiran SK, Rinke C, Gies EA, Webster G, Schwientek P, Kille P, Parkes RJ, Sass H, Jsen BB, Weightman AJ, Liu WT, Hallam SJ, Tsiamis G, Woyke T, Hedlund BP. 2016. Phylogeny and physiology of candidate phylum 'Atribacteria' (OP9/JS1) inferred from cultivation-independent genomics. ISME J. 10 (2), 273-286.
- Y Zhang, PY Hong, MW LeChevallier, WT Liu. 2015. Phenotypic and Phylogenetic Identification of Coliform Bacteria Obtained Using 12 Coliform Methods Approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency. Applied and environmental microbiology 81 (17), 6012-6023.
- Tang, Y, CJ Werth, RA Sanford, R Singh, K Michelson, M Nobu, WT Liu, and AJ Valocchi. 2015. Immobilization of Selenite via Two Parallel Pathways during In-situ Bioremediation. Environ. Sci & Technol. 49 (7), 4543-4550.
- Narihiro, T., NK Kim, R. Mei, MK Nobu, and W.-T. Liu. 2015. Microbial community analysis of anaerobic reactors treating soft drink wastewater. PLoS ONE. 10 (3), e0119131
- Shen, Y, GL Monroy, N Derlon, D Janjaroen, C Huang, E Morgenroth, SA Boppart, NJ Ashbolt, WT Liu, TH Nguyen. 2015. Role of biofilm roughness and hydrodynamic conditions in Legionella pneumophila adhesion to and detachment from simulated drinking water biofilms. Environ Sci & Techno. 49 (7), 4274-4282.
- Nobu, MK, T Narihiro, C Rinke, Y Kamagata, SG Tringe, T Woyke and WT Liu. 2015. Microbial dark matter ecogenomics reveals complex synergistic networks in a methanogenic bioreactor. ISME J. 9 (8), 1710-1722.
- Narihiro, T, MK Nobu, NK Kim, Y Kamagata, and WT Liu. 2015. The nexus of syntrophy‐associated microbiota in anaerobic digestion revealed by long‐term enrichment and community survey. Environ Microbiol., 17 (5), 1707-1720.
- Wang, H, T Narihiro, A Straub, C Pugh, H Tamaki, J. Moor, I Bradley, Y. Kamagata, WT Liu, TH Nguyen. 2014. Role of Diverse Microbial Communities in MS2 Bacteriophage Removal in Biosand Filters. Environ. Sci & Technol. 48(12):6702-9.
- Lautenschlager, K, C Hang, F Ling, WT Liu, N. Boon, O Koster, T Egli and F Hammes. 2014. Abundance and composition of indigenous bacterial communities in a multi-step biofiltration-based drinking water treatment plant. Water Research. 62C:40-52.
- Zhang, Y, WR Kelly, SV Panno and W-T Liu. 2014. Tracing fecal pollution sources in karst groundwater by host-specific Bacteroidales genetic biomarker, bacterial indicators, and environmental variables. Science of the Total Environment. 490, 1082-1090.
- Liu, G, G. Bakker, S. Li, J Vreeburg, J. Verberk, G Medema, W-T Liu, J van Dijk. 2014. Pyrosequencing reveals origin and development of bacterial communities in different phases of drinking water distribution system: an integral study of bulk water, suspended solids, loose deposits and pipe wall biofilm. Environ. Sci. & Technol. 48(10):5467-76.
- Nobu, MK, T Narihiro, YL Qiu, Y Sekiguchi, T Woyke, L Goodwin, KW Davenport, Y Kamagata, and WT Liu. 2015. The genome of Syntrophorhabdus aromaticivorans strain UI provides new insights for syntrophic aromatic compound metabolism and electron flow. Environ Microbiol. 17 (12), 4861-4872.
- Xue, Z, H Lu, and WT Liu. 2014. Membrane biofouling characterization: effects of sample preparation procedures on biofilm structure and the microbial community. Biofouling. 30 (7), 813-821
- Nobu, MK, T Narihiro, H Tamaki, YL Qiu, Y Sekiguchi, T Woyke, L Goodwin, K W Davenport, Y Kamagata, and WT Liu. 2014. Draft Genome Sequence of Syntrophorhabdus aromaticivorans Strain UI, a Mesophilic Aromatic Compound-Degrading Syntroph. Genome Announcement. 2:e01064-13.
- Nobu MK, Tamaki H, Kubota K, Liu WT. 2014. Metagenomic characterization of 'Candidatus Defluviicoccus tetraformis strain TFO71,' a tetrad-forming organism, predominant in an anaerobic-aerobic membrane bioreactor with deteriorated biological phosphorus removal. Environ Microbiol. 16(9):2739-51
- Wu D, Ekama GA, Wang HG, Wei L, Lu H, Chui HK, Liu WT, Brdjanovic D, van Loosdrecht MC, Chen GH. 2014. Simultaneous nitrogen and phosphorus removal in the sulfur cycle-associated Enhanced Biological Phosphorus Removal (EBPR) process. Water Res. 49, 251-264.
- Dong Y, Kumar CG, Chia N, Kim PJ, Miller PA, Price ND, Cann IK, Flynn TM, Sanford RA, Krapac IG, Locke RA, Hong PY, Tamaki H, Liu WT, Mackie RI, Hernandez AG, Wright CL, Mikel MA, Walker JL, Sivaguru M, Fried G, Yannarell AC, Fouke BW. 2014. Halomonas sulfidaeris-dominated microbial community inhabits a 1.8 km-deep subsurface Cambrian Sandstone reservoir. Environ Microbiol. 16 (6), 1695-1708.
- Ye, L, J Amberg, D Chapman, M Gaikowski, WT Liu. 2014. Fish gut microbiota analysis differentiates physiology and behavior of invasive Asian carp and indigenous American fish. ISME J, 8 (3), 541-551.
- Yap, GC, PY Hong, WT Liu, YK Lee, CM Ding, M Aw, LPC Shek, BW Lee. 2013. Comparative evaluation of the bacterial gene composition of stool microbiota in infants with and without eczema preliminary findings. Allergy. 68:706-706.
- Rinke, C. , Schwientek, P., Sczyrba, A., Ivanova, N. N., Anderson, I. J., Cheng, J.-F., Darling, A., Malfatti, S., Swan, B. K., Gies, E. A., Dodsworth, J.A., Hedlund, B. P., Tsiamis, G., Sievert S. M., Liu,W.-T., Eisen, J. A., Hallam, S., Kyrpides, N. C., Stepanauskas, R. 5, Rubin, E. M., Hugenholtz, P. and Woyke T. 2013 . Insights into the Phylogeny and Coding Potential of Microbial Dark Matter. Nature, 499:431-437.
- Zhang, R., Q Wu, YM Piceno, TZ Desantis, FM Saunders, GL Andersen, and WT Liu. 2013. Diversity of bacterioplankton in contrasting Tibetan lakes revealed by high‐density microarray and clone library analysis. FEMS Microbial Ecology, 86(2):277-287.
- Liu, G, F.Q. Ling, A. Magic-Knezev, W.T. Liu, J.Q.J.C. Verberk, J.C. Van Dijk. 2003. Quantification and identification of particle-associated bacteria in unchlorinated drinking water from three treatment plants by cultivation-independent methods. Water Res. 28:50-57.
- Dao, J, FQ Ling, G Monroy, N Derlon, E Mogenroth, SA Boppart, WT Liu, and TH Nguyen. 2013. Roles of ionic strength and biofilm roughness on deposition kinetics of Escherichia coli onto groundwater biofilm grown on PVC surfaces. Wat Research. 47:2531-2542.
- Wu, D.,GA Ekama, H Lu, HK Chui, W-T Liu, D Brdjanovic, MC van Loosdrecht, GH Chen. 2013. A New Biological Phosphorus Removal Process in Association with Sulfur Cycle. Wat Research. 47:3057-3069.
- Lautenschlager, K. CH Hwang, WT Liu, N. Boon, O Koster, H Vrouwenvenlder, T. Egli and F. Hammes. 2013. A multi-parameter approach towards assessing biological stability in drinking water distribution networks. Wat Research. 47:3015-3025.
- Lau, SC, R Zhang, EL Brodie, YM Piceno, G Andersen, and W-T. Liu. 2013. Biogeography of bacterioplankton in the tropical seawaters of Singapore. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. 2012 Dec 13. doi: 10.1111/1574-6941.12057 (in press).
- Ling, FQ and Liu WT. 2013. Impact of chloramination on the development of laboratory-grown biofilms fed with filter-pretreated groundwater. Microbe and Environment. 28(1):50-57.
- Wu, JH, FY Wu, HP Chuang, WY Chen HJ Huang, SH Chen, and WT Liu. 2013. Proteomics analysis of hyper-mesophilic methanogenic consortia degrading terephthalate. Applied and Environmental Microbioilogy. 79(1):105-12.
- Hwang, CH, FQ Ling, GL Andersen, MW LeChevallier, and WT Liu. 2012. Microbial community dynamics of an urban drinking water distribution system subjected to phases of chloramination and chlorination treatments. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 78(22):7856-65.
- Hwang C, Ling F, Andersen GL, LeChevallier MW, and Liu WT. 2012. Evaluation of methods for the extraction of DNA from drinking water distribution system biofilms. Microbes & Environ. 27(1):9-18.
- Tamaki H, Zhang R, Angly FE, Nakamura S, Hong PY, Yasunaga T, Kamagata Y, and Liu WT. 2012. Metagenomics analysis of DNA viruses in a wastewater treatment plant in tropical climate. Environ. Microbiol. 14(2):441-452.
- Tamaki H, Wright CL, Li X, Lin Q, Hwang C, Wang S, Thimmapuram J, Kamagata Y, and Liu WT. 2011. Analysis of 16S rRNA amplicon sequencing options on the Roche/454 next-generation titanium sequencing platform. PLoS One. 6:e25263.
- Fabrega J, Zhang R, Renshaw JC, Liu WT, Lead JR. 2011. Impact of silver nanoparticles on natural marine biofilm bacteria. Chemosphere. Chemosphere, 85(6):961-6.
- Kiss, B, Bakos V, Liu WT, and Jobbagy A. 2011. Full-scale use of glycogen-accumulating organisms for excess biological carbon removal. Water Environ. Res., 83(9):855-864.
- Lykidis A, Chen CL, Tringe SG, McHardy AC, Copeland A, Kyrpides NC, Hugenholtz P, Macarie H, Olmos A, Monroy O, Liu WT. 2011. Multiple syntrophic interactions in a terephthalate-degrading methanogenic consortium. ISME J. 5:122-130.
- Ivanova, N., Tringe, S.G., Liolios, K., Liu, W.T., Morrison, N., Hugenholtz, P., and Kyrpides, N.C. 2010. A call for standardized classification of metagenome projects. Environmental Microbiology 12: 1803-1805.
- Liu, Y.Q., Kong, Y.H., Zhang, R., Zhang, X., Wong, F.S., Tay, J.H., Zhu J.R., Jiang, W.J., and Liu, W.T. 2010. Microbial population dynamics of granular aerobic sequencing batch reactors during start-up and steady state periods. Water Science and Technology 62: 1281-1287.
- Hong, P.Y., Hwang, C.C., Ling, F.Q., Andersen, G.L., LeChevallier, M.W., and Liu, W.T. 2010. Pyrosequencing analysis of bacterial biofilm communities in water meters of a drinking water distribution system. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76: 5631-5635.
- Hong PY, Lee BW, Aw M, Shek LP, Yap GC, Chua KY, and Liu WT. 2010. Comparative analysis of fecal microbiota in infants with and without eczema. PLoS One. 5(4):e9964.
- Ng JKK, Wang W, Liu WT, et al. 2010. Spatially addressable bead-based biosensor for rapid detection of beta-thalassemia mutations. Analytica Chimica Acta, 658 (2): 193-196
- Wu QL, Xing P, Liu WT. 2010. East Tibetan Lakes harbour novel clusters of Picocyanobacteria as inferred from the 16S-23S rRNA internal transcribed spacer sequences. Microbial ecology 59 (3), 614-622
- Chen CL, Wu JH, Tseng IC, Liang TM, Liu WT. 2009. Characterization of Active Microbes in a Full-Scale Anaerobic Fluidized Bed Reactor Treating Phenolic Wastewater. Microbes and Environments, 24: 144-153.
- Lim CT, Low HY, Ng JKK, Liu WT, and Zhang Y. 2009. Fabrication of three-dimensional hemispherical structures using photolithography. Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, 7: 721-726.
- Huang CL, Chen CC, Lin CY, and Liu WT. 2009. Quantitative fluorescent in-situ hybridization: a hypothesized competition mode between two dominant bacteria groups in hydrogen-producing anaerobic sludge processes. Wat Sci & Tech, 59(10):1901-1909.
- Wu, JH, PY Hong and WT Liu. 2009. Quantitative Effects of Position and Type of Single Mismatch on Single Base Primer Extension. J Microbiol Methods. 77(3):267-275.
- Hong, PY, GC Yap, BW Lee, KY Chua and WT Liu. 2009. Hierarchical Oligonucleotide Primer Extension (HOPE) as a Rapid and High-throughput Alternative to FISH for the Quantitative Determination of Bifidobacterium spp. in Infant Feces. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75(8):2573-2576.
- Wu, QL and WT Liu. 2009. Determination of virus abundance, diversity and distribution in a municipal wastewater treatment plant. Wat Res, 43:1101-1109.
- Hong, PY, JH Wu and WT Liu. 2009. A high-throughput and quantitative hierarchical oligonucleotide primer extension (HOPE)-based approach to identify sources of fecal contamination in water bodies. Environ Microbiol. 11:1672-.
- Narihiro, Y., T. Terada, A. Ohashi, J.H. Wu, W.T. Liu, N. Araki, Y. Kamagata, K. Nakamura, and Y. Sekiguchi. 2009. Quantitative detection of culturable methanogenic archaea abundance in anaerobic treatment systems using the sequencespecific rRNA cleavage method. ISME J. 3(5):522-535.
- Murthy, BR, JKK Ng, ES Selamat, N Balasubramanian, and WT Liu. 2008. Silicon nanopillar substrates for enhancing signal intensity in DNA microarrays. Biosens Bioelectron, 24(4):7238.
- Lay, C., C. Y. Teo, L. Zhu, X. L. Peh, H. M. Ji, B.R. Chew, R. Murthy, H. H. Feng, W.T. Liu. 2008. Enhanced microfiltration devices configured with hydrodynamic trapping and a rain drop bypass filtering architecture for microbial cells detection. Lab Chip, 8(5):830-3.
- Hong, PY, JH Wu and W.T. Liu. 2008. Relative abundance of Bacteroides spp. in stools and wastewaters as determined by hierarchical oligonucleotide primer extension (HOPE). Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 74(9):28822893.
- Bjerketorp, J., A.T.Z. Ng, K. Hjort, M. Rosenquist, W.-T. Liu, and JK Jansson. 2008. Rapid lab-on-a-chip profiling of human gut bacteria. J. Microbiological Methods 72: 8290.
- Chen, CL, JH Wu and W-T. Liu. 2008. Identification of important microbial populations in the mesophilic and thermophilic phenoldegrading methanogenic consortia. Water Res. Water Res. 42(8-9):1963-76.
- Ng, J.K.K., E.S. Selamat, and W.T. Liu. 2008. A spatially addressable beadbased biosensor for simple and rapid DNA detection. Biosens Bioelectron, 23(6):803-10.
- Lau, S.C.K. and W.T. Liu. 2007. Recent advances in molecular techniques for the detection of phylogenetic markers and functional genes in microbial communities. FEMS Microbiology Letters, 275(2):183-90.
- Zhu, L., X.L. Peh, H.M. Ji, C.Y. Teo, H.H. Feng, W.T. Liu. 2007. Cell loss in integrated microfluidic device. Biomedical Microdevice, 9(5):745-50.
- Wu, JH and W.T. Liu. 2007. Quantitative multiplexing analysis of PCR amplified ribosomal RNA genes by hierarchical oligonucleotide primer extension reaction. Nucleic Acid Res. 35(11):e82 (doi:10.1093/nar/gkm413).
- Pang, CM and W.T. Liu. 2007. Community structure analysis of reverse osmosis membrane biofilms and the significance of Rhizobiales bacteria in biofouling. Environ Sci & Technol. 41(13):4728-34.
- Liu, W.T. and C. Lay. 2007. Labon-a-chip devices for microbial monitoring and detection in water. Water Science & Technology: Water Supply. 7(2):165172.
- Wong, MT and W.T. Liu. 2007. Ecophysiology of Defluviicoccus-related tetrad-forming organisms in an anaerobic-aerobic activated sludge process. Environ. Microbiol. 9 (6):1485-1496.
- Stark, EM, JC Smoot, JH Wu, W.T. Liu, D. Chandler and DA Stahl. 2007. Saliva-based diagnostics using 16S rRNA microarrays and microfluidics. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1098:345-61.
- Liu, W.T., H.L Guo, and J.H. Wu. 2007. Effects of target length on the hybridization efficiency and specificity of ribosomal RNA-based oligonucleotide microarrays. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73(1):73-82.
- Ng, J.K.K. H.H. Feng, and W.T. Liu. 2007. Rapid discrimination of single-nucleotide mismatches using a microfluidic device with monolayered beads. Analytica Chimica Acta.582:295-303.
- Ng, J.K.K and W.T. Liu. 2006. Miniaturized platforms for the detection of single-nucleotide polymorphisms. Ana. & Bioanal. Chem. 386 (3): 427-434.
- Pang. C.M and W.T. Liu. 2006. Monitoring temporal effects of biological filtration on downstream biofilm formation and microbial community structure. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 72(9): 5702-5712.
- Liu, W.T. 2006. Nanoparticles and Their Biological and Environmental Applications. J. Bioscience & Bioeng., 102(1): 17.
- Starke, EML, JC Smoot, LM Smoot, W.T. Liu, DP Chandler, HH Lee and DA Stahl. 2006. Technology development to explore the relationship between oral health and the oral microbial community. BMC Oral Health 2006, 6 (Suppl 1):S10.
- Wong, M.T. and W.T. Liu. 2006. Microbial succession of glycogen accumulating organisms in an anaerobic-aerobic membrane bioreactor with no phosphorus removal. Wat. Sci. & Technol. 54(1):29-37.
- Jobbagy, A., B. Literathy, M.T. Wong, G. Tardy, and W.T. Liu. 2006. Proliferation of glycogen accumulating organisms induced by Fe (III) dosing in a domestic wastewater treatment plant. Wat. Sci.& Technol. 54(1):10-19.
- Zhang, Q, L. Zhu, H. H Feng, S. Ang, F. S. Chau, and W.T. Liu. 2006. Microbial detection in microfluidic devices through dual staining of quantum dots-labeled immunoassay and RNA hybridization. Analytica Chimica Acta., 556 (1): 171-177.
- Liu, W.T. Z. Liang, Q.-W. Qin, Q. Zhang, H. Feng, and S. Ang. 2005. Microfluidic device as a new platform for immunofluorescent detection of viruses. Lab. Chip., 2005, 5, 1327 -1330.
- Pang, C. M., P. Y. Hong, H. L. Guo, and W.T. Liu. 2005. Biofilm formation characteristics of bacterial isolates retrieved from a reverse osmosis membrane. Environ. Sci. & Technol. 39:7541-7550.
- Liu, W.T. and L. Zhu. 2005. Environmental microbiology-on-a-chip and its future impacts. Trends in Biotechnology. 23 (4), 174-179.
- Wong, M.T., T. Mino, R. J. Seviour, M. Onuki and W.T. Liu. 2005. In-situ Identification and characterization of the microbial community structure of full-scale enhanced biological phosphorous removal plants in Japan. Water Res. 39(13):2901-2914.
- Ng, J.K., and W.T. Liu. 2005. Lab-Array: real-time imaging and analytical tool for microarrays. Bioinformatics 21: 689-690.
- Liu, W.T., J.H. Wu, E. S.Y. Li, and E.S. Selamat. 2005. Emission characteristics of fluorescent labels with respect to temperature changes and subsequent effects on DNA microchip studies. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 71: 6453-6457.
- Zhu, L., S. Ang, and W.-T. Liu. 2004. Quantum dots as a novel immunofluorescent detection system for Cryptosporidium parvum and Giardia lamblia. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. , 70:597-598.
- Li, E. S.Y., J. K.K. Ng, J.H. Wu, and W.T. Liu. 2004. Evaluating single-base-pair discriminating capability of planar oligonucleotide microchips using a non-equilibrium dissociation approach. Environ Microbiol, 6, 1197-1202.
- Zhu, L., Q. Zhang, H. H Feng, S. Ang, F. S. Chau, and W.-T. Liu. 2004. Filter-based microfluidic device as a platform for immunofluorescent assay of microbial cells. Lab. Chip, 4, 337-341.
- Sofia, A, WT. Liu, S L Ong, and W J Ng. 2004. In-situ characterization of microbial community in an A/O submerged membrane bioreactor with nitrogen removal. Water Sci Technol. 2004;50(8):41-8.
- Chen, C.L., H. Macarie, I. Ramirez, A. Olmos, S. L. Ong, O. Monroy, and W.T. Liu. 2004. Microbial community structure in a thermophilic terephthalatedegrading anaerobic hybrid reactor. Microbiology, 150: 3429-3440.
- Wong, M. T., F. M. Tan, W. J. Ng, and W.T. Liu. 2004. Identification and occurrence of tetradforming organisms from the Alphaproteobacteria in anaerobic:aerobic activated sludge processes. Microbiology, 150: 3741-3748.
- Chen, C L, W.T. Liu, M L Chong, M T Wong, S L Ong, H Seah and W J Ng. 2004. Community structure of microbial biofilms associated with membrane-based water purification processes as revealed using a polyphasic approach. Appl Microbiol and Biotech. 63: 466-473.
- Hu, JY, SL Ong, LF Song, YY Feng, W.T.Liu, TW Tan, LY Lee and WJ Ng. 2003. Removal of MS2 bacteriophage using membrane technologies. Water Sci & Tech, 47: 163-168.
- Li, E. S.Y., and W.T. Liu. 2003. DNA microarray technology in microbial ecology studies fundamental, applications and current limitations. Microbes and Environments. 18: 175-187.
- Liu, W.T., C.L. Huang, J.Y. Hu, L.F. Soon, S.L. Ong, and W.J. Ng. 2002. Denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis polymorphism for rapid 16S rDNA clone screening and microbial diversity estimation. J. Biosci. & Bioeng. 93, 101-103.
- Liu, W.T., O.C. Chan, and H. H. P. Fang. 2002. Characterization of microbial community in granular sludge treating brewery wastewater. Wat. Res., 36(7), 1767-1775.
- Hanada, S., W.T. Liu, T. Shintani, Y. Kamagata and K. Nakamura. 2002. Tetrasphaera elongates sp. nov., a polyphosphate accumulating bacterium isolated from activated sludge, Int J Syst Evol Microbiol, 52, 883-887.
- Liu, W.T., O.C. Chan, and H. H. P. Fang. 2002. Microbial community dynamics during start up of anaerobic acidogenic reactors. Wat. Res., 36(13), 3202-3210.
- Tsai, C.S. and W.T. Liu. Phylogenetic and physiological diversity of tetrad-forming bacteria in deteriorated biological phosphorus removal systems. Wat Sci & Tech, 46(1/2) 179-184.
- Liu, W.T., S. Hanada, T. L. Marsh, Y. Kamagata, and K. Nakamura. 2002. Kineosphaera limosa gen. nov. sp. nov., a new gram-positive polyhydroxyalkanoate-accumulating coccus, isolated from activated sludge. Int. J. System. Evol. Microbiol. 52: 1845-1849.
- Kong, Y.H., S. L. Ong, W. J. Ng, and W.T. Liu. 2002. Diversity of a deeply branched novel proteobacterial group found in anaerobic:oxic activated sludge processes. Environ Microbiol. 4: 754-758.
- Forney, L. J., W.T. Liu, J. B. Guckert, Y. Kumagai, E. Namkung, T. Nishihara, R. J. Larson. 2001. Structure of Microbial Communities in Activated Sludge: Potential Implications for Assessing the Biodegradability of Chemicals. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, Vol. 49(1):40-53.
- Wu, J.H., W.T. Liu, I.C. Tseng, S.S. Cheng. 2001. Characterization of microbial consortia in a terephthalate-degrading anaerobic granular sludge system. Microbiology. 147:373-382.
- Liu, W.T., A. T. Nielsen, J.H. Wu, C.S. Tsai, Y. Matsuo, and S. Molin. 2001. In situ Identification of Polyphosphate- and Polyhydroxyalkanoate-accumulating Traits for Microbial Populations in a Biological Phosphorous Removal Process. Environ. Microbiol. 3:110-122.
- Wu, J.H., W.T. Liu, I.C. Tseng, and S.S. Cheng. 2001. Characterization of 4-methylbenzoate degrading methanogenic consortium as determined by the small subunit rDNA sequence analysis. J. Bioscience & Bioeng. 91(5): 449-455.
- Fang, H. H. P., O.C. Chan, and W.T. Liu. 2001. Study of microbial community of brewery-treating granular sludge by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis of 16S rRNA gene. Wat. Sci. &. Tech. 43(1):77-82.
- Liu, W.T., A. Mirzabekov, and D. A. Stahl. 2001. Optimization of oligonucleotide microchip in microbial community structure studies by a non-equilibrium dissociation approach. Environ. Microbiology. 3, 619-629.
- Liu, W.T., K. D. Linning, K. Nakamura, T. Mino, T. Matsuo and L. J. Forney. 2000. Microbial community changes in biological phosphate removal systems on altering sludge phosphorus content. Microbiology. 146:1099-1107.
- You, S. J., C. F. Ouyang, S. F. Lin and W.T. Liu. 2000. Characterization of the microbial diversity in a biotreatment process using nonculture based methods. Wat. Sci. & Tech. 42(3/4):143148.
- Liu, W.T., T. Mino, T. Matsuo, and K. Nakamura. 2000. Isolation, characterization and identification of polyhydroxyalkanoate-accumulating bacteria from activated sludge. J. Bioscience & Bioeng. 90(5):494-500.
- Nielsen, A. T., W.T. Liu, C. Filipe, L. Grady, Jr., S. Molin, and D. A. Stahl. 1999. Identification of a novel group of bacteria in sludge from a deteriorated biological phosphorus removal process. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 65, 1251-1258.
- Shintani, T., W.T. Liu, S. Hanada, Y. Kamagata, S. Miyaoka, T. Suzuki, K. Nakamura. 2000. Micropruina glycogenica gen. nov., sp. nov., a new Gram-positive glycogen-accumulating bacterium isolated from activated sludge. Int. J. System. Evol. Microbiol. 50: 201-207.
- Smalla, K., U. Wachtendorf, H. Heuer, W.T. Liu, and L. J. Forney. 1998. Analysis of BIOLOG-GN substrate utilization patterns by microbial communities. Applied. Environ. Microbiol. 64, 1220-1225.
- Marsh, T. L., W.T. Liu, and L. J. Forney, 1998. Beginning a molecular analysis of the eucaryal community in activated sludge. Wat. Sci Tech. 37(4/5):455-460.
- Liu, W.T., T. L. Marsh, and L. J. Forney, 1998. Determination of the microbial diversity of anaerobicaerobic activated sludge by a novel molecular biological technique. Wat. Sci Tech. 37(3): 417-422.
- Liu, W.T., K. Nakamura, T. Matsuo, and T. Mino, 1997. Internal energy-based competition between polyphosphate- and glycogen-accumulating bacteria in biological phosphorus removal reactoreffect of the P/C feeding ratio. Water Res. 31:1430-1438.
- Liu, W.T., T. L. Marsh, H. Cheng, and L. J. Forney, 1997. Characterization of microbial diversity by determining terminal restriction fragment length polymorphisms of 16S ribosomal DNA. Applied Environ. Microbiol. 63: 4516-4522.
- Mino, T., H. Satoh, W.T. Liu, and T. Matsuo, 1996. Possible metabolisms of polyphosphate accumulating organisms (PAOs) and glycogen accumulating non-polyP organisms (GAOs) in the enhanced biological phosphate removal process. Biotechnology Conference, Bruges, p. 1769-1776.
- Liu, W.T., T. Mino, K. Nakamura, and T. Matsuo, 1996. Glycogen accumulating population and its anaerobic substrate uptake in anaerobic-aerobic activated sludge without biological phosphorus removal. Wat. Res. 30:75-82.
- Liu, W.T., T. Mino, T. Matsuo, and K. Nakamura, 1996. Biological phosphorus removal processeseffect of pH on anaerobic substrate metabolism. Wat. Sci. Tech. 17, 127-138.
- Mino, T., W.T. Liu, F. Kurisu, and T. Matsuo, 1994. Modelling glycogen storage and denitrification capability of microorganisms in enhanced biological phosphate removal processes. Wat. Sci. Technol. 31(2), 25-34.
- Liu, W.T., T. Mino, K. Nakamura, and T. Matsuo, 1994. Role of glycogen in acetate uptake and polyhydroxyalkanoate synthesis in anaerobic-aerobic activated sludge with a minimized polyphosphate content. J. Ferm. Biotechnol., 77(5):535-540.
- Board member of Advances in Asian Environmental Engineering, 2002 - 2008
- Editorial Board of Applied Environmental Microbiology, 2004 - 2013
- Associate editor of Microbes and Environments, 2003-2006, 2010 - present
- Editorial Board of Microbial Ecology, 2006 - present
- Editorial Board of the ISME journal, 2006 - present
- Member, International Water Association, 1987-present
- Member, American Water Work Association, 2009-present
- Member, American Society for Microbiology, 1995-present
- Member, Singapore Society for Environmental Engineering, 2001-2008
- Member, Association of Water Recycle and Reuse, Taiwan, 2001-present
- Member, International Society for Microbial Ecology, 2004-2011
- Member, American Environmental Engineering Professor Society, 2008-present
- Committee member, Asia Environmental Biotechnology Society (2007 - present).
- Secretary, IWA, Activated Sludge Population Dynamics specialist group (2005-2008).
- Committee member, Internal Water Association (IWA), Activated Sludge Population Dynamics specialist group (2001-present)
Service on Department Committees
- Member, CEE Safety Committee (2013)
- Chair, Environmental Engineering & Science program (May 2013- May 2015)
- Member, CEE Promotion & Tenure committee (2014-2017)
- Chair, CEE Promotion & Tenure committee (2015-2017)
Service on Campus Committees
- Member, the Wilfred F. and Ruth Davison Langelier Scholarship in Sanitary/Environmental Engineering Selection Committee, University of Illinois (2013 - present)
- Member, Steering Committee, iSEE (Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment), UIUC (2014-present)
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, National Taipei University of Technology (October 2012)
- Honorary International Visiting Professorship, Department of Civil Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology (May 2012-May 2013)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Excellence Faculty Scholar (January 2013)
- Arthur C. Nauman Endowed Professor (August 2014)
- Engineering Council Advising Award, College of Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2013)
- Best undergraduate poster presentation at the ISAWWA and IWEA Water Conference (WATERCON), Springfield 2012 (2012)
- Best paper presentation award Bioengineering Students Conference (2004)
- Institute of Engineering Singapore (IES) publication award (2002)
- Best Master Thesis Award (2001)
- Best Student Poster Award (Aug, 2014)
- Best paper award (Diversity and localization of microbial consortium in a full-scale phenol-degrading granular activated carbon anaerobic reactor) (2007)
- 2005 Young Asian Biotechnologist Prize (2005)
- JSPS Visiting Scientist (2003)
- Research Award (2000)