Change Withdrawal Refund Dismissal Policy for Study Abroad Programs
Students initially applying to an IPENG sponsored program may request a program change. The IPENG and/or SAO (campus Study Abroad Office) staff will make the final determination if the request can be accommodated.
IPENG Sponsored Programs
Changing to another IPENG sponsored program, there is no additional application fee. Please send an email to email@example.com or visit our office. Note: Additional application documents may be required.
SAO Sponsored Programs
Changing from an IPENG sponsored program to an SAO sponsored program, you will be accessed another $25 application. You will need to withdraw your current application and start a new application.
Up to 3 Weeks Prior of Departure
Students who withdraw from the program in the United States up to 3 weeks prior to the starting date of will receive a refund of all moneys collected minus:
- $350 non-refundable processing fee (semester/ay programs); $225 non-refundable processing fee (short term programs)
- Any non-refundable payments made on behalf of the student to the host university
- Any non-refundable payments made on behalf of the student for round-trip airfare
Within 3 weeks of Starting Date of Program
- No Refunds. Some exceptions may apply.
Notice of withdrawal must be made by letter to the IPENG office before the withdrawal will be officially recognized. The date on which the letter is received is the date by which any refund of balance due will be calculated. If a balance is due to IPENG at the time of withdrawal, that amount will be billed to your student account, according to established policies, to cover expenses incurred up to that point.
- No refunds of any kind can be given once participants have arrived at the program site and have begun the program except for extremely serious and verifiable health reasons. In that case, the portion of room and board money that has not been used, minus any penalty, may be refundable.
- Under no circumstances can any requests for refunds be considered for students who complete the program.
- If the program is cancelled by IPENG or the host institution, all fees billed by IPENG will be refunded.
- If a student is dismissed from a program, there will be no refunds.
There are circumstances under which overseas coordinators and institutions have the authority to require that a student withdraw from a study abroad program. These circumstances include but are not limited to the following:
- Students whose conduct while on the program is deemed undesirable and whose actions are in violation of the University of Illinois' Code of Campus Affairs and Regulations will be dismissed from the program and subject to campus disciplinary reviews.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of the rules and guidelines of the sponsoring overseas institution.
- Students whose conduct is in violation of regulations set forth by the resident director.
- Violation of the foreign country's civil and/or criminal statutes.
Students dismissed from the program for the above reasons will receive no credit for their academic work and will be considered as not having completed the program. In addition, no refund of program fees will be issued. If dismissed early, the student is responsible for return airfare.