Illinois Academic Redshirt in Science and Engineering (ARISE)
It’s been done in athletics for years—a “redshirt year” to allow a student-athlete to grow without using a year of sports eligibility. Now a select group of engineering students have the same opportunity to prepare for our world-class program. The Academic Redshirt in Science and Engineering (ARISE) Scholars program prepares talented students from the state of Illinois to succeed in Engineering at Illinois.
Up to 25 students are named ARISE scholars every year, giving them an extra year to get ready for traditional freshman-year courses.
What does ARISE offer students?
Academic advising, community support, and the Illinois First-Year Experience are all part of ARISE scholars’ freshman year. They also benefit from:
- An individual faculty mentor who advises and supports the ARISE scholar throughout their college career.
- A customized first-year curriculum that includes preparatory courses in calculus and science as well as an enhanced orientation to engineering.
- Access to all the resources available to engineering students including special opportunities for tutoring, career services, study abroad opportunities, and student organizations.
- Access to exclusive scholarships and financial aid resources
Who is eligible to become an ARISE scholar?
- Must be an incoming Illinois freshman
- Must be an Illinois resident.
- Must be eligible for the Pell Grant
- Must be highly motivated to commit to the program’s objectives
How do I become an ARISE Scholar?
- Students will be invited to apply based on their freshman application. Students not invited may request an application from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact information: email@example.com