Illinois Academic Redshirt in Science and Engineering (ARISE)
It’s been done in athletics for years—a “redshirt year” to allow a student-athlete to grow without using a year of sports eligibility. Now a select group of engineering students have the same opportunity to prepare for our world-class program. The Academic Redshirt in Science and Engineering (ARISE) Scholars program prepares talented students from the state of Illinois to succeed in Engineering at Illinois.
Up to 25 students are named ARISE scholars every year, giving them an extra year to get ready for traditional freshman-year courses.
What does ARISE offer students?
Academic advising, community support, and the Illinois First-Year Experience are all part of ARISE scholars’ freshman year. They also benefit from:
- An individual faculty mentor who advises and supports the ARISE scholar throughout their college career.
- A customized first-year curriculum that includes pre-calculus and pre-physics.
- Coaching and courses in how to study, what to expect from the college experience, and how to navigate various engineering disciplines.
- Access to tutoring and peer mentoring.
- Comprehensive career services and support.
- Access to exclusive scholarships and financial aid resources
Who is eligible to become an ARISE scholar?
- Must be an incoming Illinois freshman
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent legal resident
- Must be eligible for the Pell Grant
- Must be highly motivated to complete an engineering degree
- Must live on campus in the designated Illinois ARISE Scholars Program residence hall during the freshman and sophomore years
- Must attend the Illinois ARISE Summer Registration session from June 22-23, 2017.
- Must attend the Illinois ARISE Program’s fall early move-in orientation from August 20-22, 2017.
How do I become an ARISE Scholar?
- Visit the online application link provided below
- Complete the online application including 2 essays
- If selected, complete a phone or video interview the week of May 15
- If admitted into the program, confirm agreement to participate before May 31
Questions about the ARISE program?
Andrea R. Wynn