Primary Research Area
- Condensed Matter Physics - Condensed Matter Physics (experimental)
Professor Abbamonte received his Ph.D from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1999, having done his research with the then thriving Materials Physics Department at Bell Laboratories. He then went to the University of Groningen in The Netherlands on an IRFAP fellowship from the National Science Foundation. In 2001, he returned to the U.S. as a postdoc in biophysics at Cornell University, where he studied photosynthesis in Rhodobacter sphaeroides, and joined the scientific staff at Brookhaven National Laboratory in 2003. He was recruited to the Department of Physics in August of 2005.
Professor Abbamonte is one of the originators of the technique of resonant soft x-ray scattering, which he has used, among other things, to discover a Wigner crystal in doped spin ladders, and to show that stripes in copper-oxide superconductors are charged. This technique is now in use at every major synchrotron facility in the world. He is also known for his solution to the phase problem for inelastic x-ray scattering, permitting real-time imaging of electron motion in condensed matter with attosecond time resolution. He has recently used this approach, for example, to image the formation of excitons in insulators, and to measure the effective fine structure constant of graphene.
Abbamonte is the founder of Inprentus, a premium optics manufacturer based at the University of Illinois Research Park.
For more information
- electron self-organization in condensed matter, stripe phases, topological order; edge and interface effects in oxide devices; quantum phase transitions; collective excitations in interacting electron systems.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Chen, X. M.; Miller, A. J.; Nugroho, C.; de la Pena, G. A.; Joe, Y. I.; Kogar, A.; Brock, J. D.; Geck, J.; MacDougall, G. J.; Cooper, S. L.; Fradkin, E.; Van Harlingen, D. J.; Abbamonte, P. Influence of Ti doping on the incommensurate charge density wave in 1T-TaS2, Phys. Rev. B. V91, 245113 (2015)
- Gleason, S. L.; Gim, Y.; Byrum, T.; Kogar, A.; Abbamonte, P.; Fradkin, E.; MacDougall, G. J.; Van Harlingen, D. J.; Zhu, Xiangde; Petrovic, C.; Cooper, S. L., Structural contributions to the pressure-tuned charge-density-wave to superconductor transition in ZrTe3: Raman scattering studies, Phys. Rev. B. V91, 155124 (2015)
- Ritschel, T.; Trinckauf, J.; Koepernik, K.; Buechner, B.; Zimmermann, M. V.; Berger, H.; Joe, Y. I.; Abbamonte, P.; Geck, J., Orbital textures and charge density waves in transition metal dichalcogenides, Nature Physics, V11, DI 10.1038/nohys3267, (2015)
- Lucas Wagner, Peter Abbamonte, Effect of electron correlation on the electronic structure and spin -lattice coupling of high T-c cuprates: Quantum Monte Carlo calculations, Phys. Rev. B. C90, 125129 (2014)
- Rusydi, A.; Goos, A.; Binder, S.; Eich, A.; Botril, K.; Abbamonte, P.; Yu, X.; Breese, M. B. H.; Eisaki, H.; Fujimaki, Y.; Uchida, S.; Guerassimova, N.; Treusch, R.; Feldhaus, J.; Reininger, R.; Klein, M. V.; Ruebhausen, M., Electronic Screening-Enhanced Hole Pairing in Two-Leg Spin Ladders Studied by High-Resolution Resonant Inelastic X-Ray Scattering at Cu M Edges, Phys. Rev. Lett. V113, 067001 (2014)
- Y.I. Joe, X. M. Chen, P. Ghaemi, D. D. Finkelstein, G. A. de la Pena, Y. Gan, J.C.T. Lee, S. Yuan, J. Geck, G. J. McDougall, T. C. Chiang, S.L. Cooper, E. Fradkin, P. Abbamonte, Emergence of Charge Density wave domain walls above the superconducting dome in 1T-TiSe2, Nature Physics, V10, Di 10.1038/nphys2935, (2014)
- Weng, Shih-Chang; Xu, Ruqing: Said, Ayman H.: Leu, Bogdan M.: Ding, Yang: Hong, Hawoong; Fang, Xinyue; Chou, M. Y.: Bosak, A.; Abbamonte, P.; Cooper, S. L.; Fradkin, E.; Chang, S. -L.; Chiang, T. -C., Pressure-induced antiferrodistortive phase transition in SrTiO3: Common scaling of soft-mode with pressure and temperature, EPL V107,36006 DI 10.1209/0295-5075-107-36006 (2014)
- S. Smadici, G. Logvenov, I. Bozovic, P. Abbamonte, Sequence of hole resonances in complex oxide heterostructures, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 26: 15, 155302 (2014)
- S.L. Gleason, T. Byrum, Y. Gim, A. Thaler, P. Abbamonte, G.J. MacDougall, L.W. Martin, H.D. Zhou, S.L. Cooper, Magnon spectra and strong spin-lattice coupling in magnetically frustrated MnB2O4 (B=Mn,V): inelastic light-scattering studie, Physical Review B, 89: 13, 134402 (2014)
- J.C.T. Lee, A.R. Damodaran, R. Ramesh, L.W. Martin, P. Abbamonte, X-ray diffraction studies of stripelike ferroelectric domains in thin films of BiFeO3, Physical Review B, 89: 21, 214104 (2014)
- J. L. McChesney, R. Reininger, M. Ramanathan, C. Benson, G. Srajer, P. Abbamonte, J. C. Campuzano, The intermediate energy X-ray beamline at the APS, Nuclear Instruments & Methods in Physics Research Section A-Accelerators Spectrometers Detectors and Associate Equipment, V 746, DI 10.1016/j.nima.2014.01.068 (2014)
- S. Smadici, J.C.T. Lee, G. Logvenov, I. Bozovic, P. Abbamonte, Form Factor Dispersion at la M5,4 edges and average density of resonant atoms, Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter, 26: 2, 025303 (2014)
- A. Kogar, S. Vig, Gan Yu, P. Abbamonte, Temperature-resolution anomalies in the reconstruction of time dynamics from energy-loss experiments, Journal of Physics B: Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, 47: 12, 124034 (2014)
- Gan Yu, A. Kogar, P. Abbamonte, Crystallographic refinement of collective excitations using standing wave inelastic X-ray scattering, Chemical Physics, 414: 160-7, (2013)
- J.T. Lee, Yuan Shi, S. Lal, Joe Young Il, Yu Gan, S. Smadici, K. Finkelstein, Yejun Feng, A. Rusydi, P.M. Goldbart, S.L. Cooper, P. Abbamonte, Two-stage orbital order and dynamical spin frustration in KCuF3 Nature Physics, 8: 1, (2012)
- J. P. Reed, B. Uchoa, Y. I. Joe, Y. Gan, D. Casa, E. Fradkin, P. Abbamonte, The effective fine structure constant of freestanding graphene measured in graphite, Science 330, 805 (2010)
- P. Abbamonte, G. C. L. Wong, D. Cahill, J. P. Reed, R. H. Coridan, N. W. Schmidt, G. H. Lai, Y. I. Joe, D. Casa, Ultrafast Imaging and the Phase Problem for Inelastic X-Ray Scattering, Advanced Materials 22, 1141 (2010)
- S. Smadici, J. C. T. Lee, S. Wang, P. Abbamonte, A. Gozar, G. Logvenov, C. D. Cavellin, I. Bozovic, Superconducting transition at 38 K in insulating-overdoped La2CuO4-La1.64Sr0.36CuO4 superlattices: Evidence for interface electronic redistribution from resonant soft x-ray scattering, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 107004 (2009)
- Peter Abbamonte, Tim Graber, James P. Reed, Serban Smadici, Chen-Lin Yeh, Abhay Shukla, Jean-Pascal Rueff, and Wei Ku, Dynamical reconstruction of the exciton in LiF with inelastic x-ray scattering, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 105, 12159 (2008)
- S. Smadici, P. Abbamonte, A. Bhattacharya, X. Zhai, B. Jiang, A. Rusydi, J. N. Eckstein, S. D. Bader, J. M. Zuo, Electronic reconstruction of LaMnO3-SrMnO3 superlattice interfaces, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 196404 (2007)
- A. Rusydi, P. Abbamonte, H. Eisaki, Y. Fujimaki, G. Blumberg, S. Uchida, C. C. Kao, and G. A. Sawatzky. Quantum melting of the Wigner lattice in Sr14-xCaxCu24O41, Phys. Rev. Lett., 97, 016403/1-4 (2006).
- P. Abbamonte, A. Rusydi, S. Smadici, G. D. Gu, G. A. Swawatzky, and D. L. Feng. Spatially modulated â€˜Mottnessâ€™ in La2-xBaxCuO4. Nature Physics 1, 155-158 (2005).
- P. Abbamonte, G. Blumberg, A. Rusydi, A. Gozar, P.G. Evans, T.S. Siegrist, L. Venema, H. Eisaki, E.D. Isaacs, and G.A. Sawatzky. Crystallization of charge holes in the spin ladder of Sr14Cu24O41. Nature 431, 1078-1081 (2004)
- P. Abbamonte, K. D. Finkelstein, M. D. Collins, and S. M. Gruner. Imaging density disturbances in water with a 41.3-attosecond time resolution. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 237401 (2004)
- P. Abbamonte, L. Venema, A. Rusydi, I. Bozovic, and G. A. Sawatzky. A structural probe of the doped holes in cuprate superconductors. Science 297, 581-584 (2002)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2014
- Moore Foundation EPiQS Investigator, 2014-2019
- University Scholar, 2014
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research, 2010
- Arnold O. Beckman Fellow, Center for Advanced Study 2008-2009
- NSF Intl. Research Fellowship, 2000-2001