Charles M Schroeder
- Postdoctorate, University of California at Berkeley, 2007-2008
- Postdoctorate, Harvard University, 2004-2007
- Ph.D., Stanford University, 2004
- B.S., Carnegie Mellon University, 1999
Charles M. Schroeder is a Professor and the Ray and Beverly Mentzer Faculty Scholar in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. He is also an Affiliate in the Departments of Chemistry, Materials Science and Engineering, and Bioengineering, and he is a member of the Center for Biophysics and Computational Biology and the Institute for Genomic Biology in Biosystems Design. His research focuses on single molecule studies of polymer dynamics and biological systems, and his recent work has extended the field of single polymer dynamics to new materials. Professor Schroeder has been recognized by several awards, including the Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, an NSF CAREER Award, the Arthur B. Metzner Award from the Society of Rheology, and a Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering. Professor Schroeder joined the department in 2008. He received his B.S. (1999) in Chemical Engineering from Carnegie Mellon University, followed by an M.S. (2001) and Ph.D. (2004) in Chemical Engineering at Stanford University. He was a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University and the University of California, Berkeley.
For more information
- Molecular Engineering, Soft Materials, Molecular Rheology, Single Molecule Biophysics
Selected Articles in Journals
- M. Tanyeri and C. M. Schroeder, Manipulation and Confinement of Single Particles using a Fluid Flow, Nano Letters, 13, 2357-2364 (2013).
- R. Mohan, A. Mukherjee, S. E. Sevgen, C. Sanpitakseree, J. Lee, C. M. Schroeder, P. J. A. Kenis, A Multiplexed Microfluidic Platform for Rapid Antibiotic Susceptibility Testing, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 49, 118-125 (2013).
- A. Mukherjee, J. Walker, K. B. Weyant, C. M. Schroeder, Characterization of Flavin-based Fluorescent Proteins: An Emerging Class of Powerful Fluorescent Reporters, PLOS ONE, 8, e64753 (2013).
- U. Agrawal, D. Reilly, C. M. Schroeder, Zooming in on Biological Processes with Fluorescence Nanoscop, Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 24 (2013).
- A. B. Marciel and C. M. Schroeder, New Directions in Single Polymer Dynamics, Journal of Polymer Science: Polymer Physics, 51, 556-566 (2013).
- Y. Kim, S. Kim, M. Tanyeri, J. A. Katzenellenbogen, C. M. Schroeder, Dendrimer Probes for Enhanced Photostability and Localization in Fluorescence Imaging, Biophysical Journal, 104, 1566-1575 (2013).
- A. Mukherjee and C. M. Schroeder, Directed Evolution of Bright Mutants of a Flavin-Dependent Anaerobic Fluorescent Protein from Pseudomonas putida, Journal of Biological Engineering, 6, 20, (2012).
- Y. Kim, S. Kim, J. A. Katzenellenbogen, C. M. Schroeder, Specific Labeling of Zinc Finger Proteins using Noncanonical Amino Acids and Copper-free Click Chemistry, Bioconjugate Chemistry, 23, 1891-1901 (2012).
- M.-H. Lai, J. H. Jeong, R. Devolder, C. A. Brockman, C. M. Schroeder, H. Kong, Ellipsoidal Polyaspartamide Polymersomes with Enhanced Cell-Targeting Ability, Advanced Functional Materials, 22, 3239-3246 (2012).
- D. J. Mai, C. A. Brockman, C. M. Schroeder, Microfluidic Systems for Single DNA Dynamics, Soft Matter, 8, 10560-10572 (2012).
- M. Tanyeri, M. Ranka, N. Sittipolkul, C. M. Schroeder, "Microfluidic Wheatstone Bridge for Rapid Sample Analysis", Lab on a Chip, 11, 4181-4186 (2011).
- C. A. Brockman, S. Kim, C. M. Schroeder, "Direct Observation of Single Flexible Polymers using Single Stranded DNA", Soft Matter, 7, 8005-8012 (2011).
- F. Latinwo and C. M. Schroeder, "Model Systems for Single Molecule Polymer Dynamics", Soft Matter, 7, 7907-7913 (2011).
- M. Tanyeri, M. Ranka, N. Sittipolkul, C. M. Schroeder, "A Microfluidic-based Hydrodynamic Trap: Design and Implementation", Lab on a Chip, 11, 1786-1794 (2011).
- B. Schudel, M. Tanyeri, C. M. Schroeder, P. J. A. Kenis, "Multiplexed Detection of Nucleic Acids in a Combinatorial Screening Chip", Lab on a Chip, 11, 1916-1923 (2011).
- M. Tanyeri, E. M. Johnson-Chavarria and C. M. Schroeder, "Hydrodynamic Trap for Single Particles and Cells", Applied Physics Letters, 96, 224101 (2010).
- S. Kim, C. M. Schroeder, X. S. Xie, "Single Molecule Observation of HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Polymerization Dynamics on Flow Stretched DNA Templates", Journal of Molecular Biology, 395, 995-1006 (2010).
- S. Kim, P.C. Blainey, C.M. Schroeder, and X.S. Xie, "Multiplexed Single-molecule Assay for Weak Enzymatic Activity on Flow-stretched DNA," Nature Methods, 4, 397-399 (2007).
- C.M. Schroeder, P.C. Blainey, S. Kim, X.S. Xie, "Hydrodynamic Flow-stretching Assay for Single Molecule Studies of Nucleic Acid-Protein Interactions," in Single Molecule Techniques: A Laboratory Manual, T. Ha and P. Selvin (eds.), Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press (2007).
- C.M. Schroeder, R.E. Teixeira, E.S.G. Shaqfeh, S. Chu, "Characteristic Periodic Motion of Polymers in Shear Flow," Physical Review Letters, 95, 018301 (2005).
- C.M. Schroeder, H.P. Babcock, E.S.G. Shaqfeh, S. Chu, "Observation of Polymer Conformation Hysteresis in Extensional Flow," Science, 301, 1515-1519 (2003).
- Center for Advanced Study, Beckman Fellow, University of Illinois, 2014
- Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award, 2013
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2013
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Research, University of Illinois, 2013
- Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award, Society of Rheology, 2012
- U.S. Frontiers of Engineering, National Academy of Engineering, 2012
- Packard Fellowship in Science and Engineering, 2011
- Tomorrow's PIs, Genome Technology, 2008
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, Spring 2011, Fall 2008
- Pathway to Independence Award, National Institute of Health, 2006-2011
- Postdoctoral Fellowship, Jane Coffin Childs Fund for Medical Research, 2005-2006
- Gerald Lieberman Fellowship, Stanford University, 2003-2004
- NSF Graduate Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 1999-2003
- Stanford Graduate Fellow, Stanford University, 1999
- University Honors, Carnegie Mellon University, 1998
- Andrew Carnegie Scholar, Carnegie Mellon University, 1998
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 1998
- Donald F. Othmer Academic Excellence Award, AIChE