Primary Research Area
- Power and Energy Systems
- PhD, Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2012
- MSc, Electrical Engineering (Minor: Math), University of Minnesota, 2009
- BE, Electronic Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2006
- Assistant Professor, Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, 2014-present
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Information Trust Inst., University of Illinois, Aug 2012-Dec 2013
For more information
- ECE 498HZ: Power Distribution System Analysis, Spring 2016
- ECE 398BD: Making Sense of Big Data, Spring 2015
- ECE 530: Analysis Techniques for Large-Scale Electrical Systems, Fall 2014-2015
- ECE 330: Power Circuits and Electronmechanics, Spring 2013-15/17
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
I look forward to working with undergraduate students with good analytic and math background.
Chapters in Books
- G. B. Giannakis, G. Mateos, I. D. Schizas, H. Zhu, and Q. Ling, "Decentralized Learning for Wireless Communications and Networking," in Operator Splitting and Alternating Direction Methods, co-edited by R. Glowinski, S. Osher, W. Yin, 2015 (invited).
Selected Articles in Journals
- H.-J. Liu, W. Shi, and H. Zhu, Decentralized Dynamic Optimization for Power Network Voltage Control, IEEE Trans. Signal and Information Processing over Networks, 2017 (accepted)
- K. Zhang, H. Zhu, and S. Guo, Dependency Analysis and Improved Parameter Estimation for Dynamic Composite Load Modeling, IEEE Trans. Power Systems, 2017 (accepted)
- M. Kazerooni, H. Zhu, and T. J. Overbye, Improved Modeling of Geomagnetically Induced Currents Utilizing Derivation Techniques for Substation Grounding Resistance, IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, 2017 (accepted)
- M. Kazerooni, H. Zhu, T. J. Overbye, and D. A. Wojtczak, Transmission System Geomagnetically Induced Current Model Validation, IEEE Trans. Power Systems, 2017 (accepted).
- H. Zhu and H.-J. Liu, Fast Local Voltage Control Under Limited Reactive Power: Optimality and Stability Analysis, IEEE Trans. Power Systems, 2016.
- B. A. Robbins, H. Zhu, and A. D. D. Dominguez-Garcia, "Optimal Tap Setting of Voltage Regulation Transformers in Unbalanced Distribution Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, January 2016
- N. Tobin, H. Zhu,and L. P. Chamorro, "Spectral behavior of the turbulence-driven power fluctuations of wind turbines," Journal of Turbulence, 2015
- H. Zhu and T. J. Overbye, "Blocking Device Placement for Mitigating the Effects of Geomagnetically Induced Currents," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, July 2015
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, "Nonlinear Power System State Estimation using Distributed Semidefinite Programming," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014
- C. Chen, H. Zhu and J. Wang, "Effects of Phasor Measurement Uncertainty on Power Line Outage Detection," IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, December 2014.
- N. Prasad, H. Zhang, H. Zhu, and S. Rangarajan, Multi-User Scheduling in the 3GPP LTE Cellular Uplink, IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 130 - 145, Jan. 2014.
- E. DallAnese, H. Zhu, and Georgios B. Giannakis, "Distributed Optimal Power Flow for Smart Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid,, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 1464-1475, Sep. 2013.
- G. B. Giannakis, N. Gatsis, V. Kekatos, S.-J. Kim, H. Zhu, and B. Wollenberg, Signal Processing for Smart Monitoring and Optimization of Power Systems, IEEE Signal Processing Magazine (Feature Article), vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 107-128, Sep. 2013.
- N. Prasad, H. Zhang, H. Zhu, and S. Rangarajan, Multi-User MIMO Scheduling in the Fourth Generation Cellular Uplink, IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 4272-4285, Sep. 2013.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, Sparse Overcomplete Representations for Efficient Identification of Power Line Outages, IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 2215-2224, November 2012.
- H. Zhu, N. Prasad, and S. Rangarajan, Precoder Design for Physical Layer Multicasting, IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 60, no. 11, pp. 5932 - 5947, November 2012.
- H. Zhu, G. Leus, and G. B. Giannakis, Sparsity-Cognizant Total Least-Squares for Perturbed Compressive Sampling, IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 2002-2016, May 2011.
- H. Zhu and G. B. Giannakis, Exploiting Sparse User Activity in Multiuser Detection, IEEE Trans. Communications, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 454-465, February 2011.
- H. Zhu, A. Cano, and G. B. Giannakis, Distributed Demodulation using Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 2044-2054, June 2010.
- H. Zhu, G. B. Giannakis, and A. Cano, Distributed In-Network Decoding, IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 3970-3983, October 2009.
- H. Zhu, I. D. Schizas and G. B. Giannakis, Power-Efficient Dimensionality Reduction for Distributed Channel-Aware Kalman Tracking Using Wireless Sensor Networks, IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, vol. 57, no. 8, pp. 3193-3207, August 2009.
- G. B. Giannakis et al, Robust Parametric Power Spectral Density (PSD) Construction, U.S. Patent #9,363,679
- G. B. Giannakis and H. Zhu, "State estimation of electrical power networks using semidefinite relaxation," US Patent 13/862,139, 2013.
- N. Prasad, H. Zhu, and S. Rangarajan, "Precoder Design for Physical Layer Multicasting," U.S. Patent # 8917648, 2014
- NSF CAREER Award (02/2017)
- Best Paper Award (2nd place), North American Power Symp (09/2016)
- AFRL Summer Faculty Fellowship (07/2016)
- Siebel Energy Insistute Seed Grant Award (04/2016)
- Best Poster Award, PSERC IAB Meeting (12/2015)