Jeremy S Guest
Primary Research Area
- Environmental Engineering and Science
- Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, University of Michigan, 2012
- M.S., Civil Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2007
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Bucknell University, 2005
Dr. Jeremy Guest is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). His research focuses on the development of technologies for sustainable water and sanitation, with a focus on resource recovery from bodily excreta in technologically advanced and developing communities. To this end, his group integrates experimentation, modeling, and sustainable design to prioritize and pursue technology development pathways. Dr. Guest is engaged with several major initiatives at UIUC, where he serves as the Environmental Sustainability Lead for the Soybean Innovation Lab funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the Sustainable Design Lead for the Center for Advanced Bioenergy and Bioproducts Innovation funded by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), and the Thrust Leader for Sanitation and Resource Recovery for the Safe Global Water Institute led by UIUC. Dr. Guest is the recipient of a National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) Award, the 2016 recipient of the Paul L. Busch Award for innovation in applied water quality research from the Water Environment & Reuse Foundation (WE&RF), and a Fellow of the Center for Advanced Study at UIUC. His research has been sponsored by a number of agencies including the NSF, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. DOE, the USAID, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Dr. Guest's formal training includes a B.S. and M.S. in civil engineering from Bucknell University and Virginia Tech, respectively, and a Ph.D. in environmental engineering from the University of Michigan.
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (iSEE), 2015-present
- Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Civil and Environmental Engineering, December 2011-present
For more information
- Phototrophic Biotechnology [microalgae; wastewater; biofuel feedstock; process modeling]
- Resource Recovery from Water [wastewater; nutrients; nitrogen; phosphorus; bioenergy; anaerobic; methane]
- Sustainable Design [trade-offs across environmental, economic, social dimensions of sustainability; life cycle assessment, LCA; techno-economic analysis, TEA; life cycle costing, LCC; decision-making; technology innovation]
- Developing Community Sanitation [international development engineering; sub-Saharan Africa; urban slums; rural]
- Bioenergy and Bioproducts [biorefinery design; perennial agriculture]
Selected Articles in Journals
- Hand, S.; Shang, X.; Guest, J.S.; Smith, K.C.; Cusick, R.D. Global sensitivity analysis to characterize operational limits and prioritize performance goals of capacitive deionization technologies. Environmental Science & Technology, In press.
- Li, Y.; Leow, S.; Dong, T.; Nagle, N.; Knoshaug, E.P.; Laurens, L.; Pienkos, P.; Guest, J.S.; Strathmann, T.J. Demonstration and evaluation of hybrid microalgae aqueous conversion systems for biofuel production. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 2019, 7: 5835-5844. https://doi.org/10.1021/acssuschemeng.8b05741
- Shoener, B.D.; Schramm, S.M.; Bne, F.; Bernard, O.; Martz, C.; Pl B.G.; Snowling, S.; Steyer, J.P.; Valverde-Pz, B.; Wer, D.; Guest, J.S. Microalgae and cyanobacteria modeling in water resource recovery facilities: A critical review. Water Research X, 2019, 2: 100024. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wroa.2018.100024
- Fedders, A.C.; DeBellis, J.L.; Bradley, I.M.; Sevillano-Rivera, M.C.; Pinto, A.J.; Guest, J.S. Comparable nutrient uptake across diel cycles by three distinct phototrophic communities. Environmental Science & Technology, 2019, 53(1): 390-400. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b05874
- Bradley, I.M.; Sevillano-Rivera, M.C.; Pinto, A.J.; Guest, J.S. Impact of solids residence time on community structure and nutrient dynamics of mixed phototrophic wastewater treatment systems. Water Research, 2019, 150: 271-282. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2018.11.065
- Lu, L.; Guest, J.S.; Peters, C.A.; Zhu, X.; Rau, G.H.; Ren, Z.J. Wastewater treatment for carbon capture and utilization. Nature Sustainability, 2018, 1(12): 750-758.
- Leow, S.; Shoener, B.D.; Li, Y.; DeBellis, J.L.; Markham, J.; Davis, R.; Laurens, L.M.L.; Pienkos, P.T.; Cook, S.M.; Strathmann, T.J.; Guest, J.S. A unified modeling framework to advance biofuel production from microalgae. Environmental Science & Technology, 2018, 52(22): 13591-13599. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.8b03663
- Trimmer, J.T.; Guest, J.S. Recirculation of human-derived nutrients from cities to agriculture across six continents. Nature Sustainability, 2018, 1(8): 427-435. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-018-0118-9
- Bauza, V.; Byrne, D.M.; Trimmer, J.T.; Lardizabal, A.; Atiim, P.; Asigbee, M.A.K.; Guest, J.S. Child soil ingestion in rural Ghana - Frequency, caregiver perceptions, relationship with household floor material and associations with child diarrhoea. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 2018, 23(5): 558-569. https://doi.org/10.1111/tmi.13050
- Agrawal, S.; Guest, J.S.; Cusick, R.D. Elucidating the impacts of initial supersaturation and seed crystal loading on struvite precipitation kinetics, fines production, and crystal growth. Water Research, 2018, 132: 252-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2018.01.002
- Trimmer, J.T.; Cusick, R.D.; Guest, J.S. Amplifying progress toward multiple development goals through resource recovery from sanitation. Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51(18): 10765-10776. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.7b02147
- Tenorio, R.; Fedders, A.C.; Strathmann, T.J.; Guest, J.S. Impact of growth phase on photochemically produced reactive species in the extracellular matrix of algal cultivation systems. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2017, 3: 1095-1108. http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2017/EW/C7EW00172J#!divAbstract
- Byrne, D.M.; Lohman, H.A.C.; Cook, S.M.; Peters, G.M.; Guest, J.S. Life cycle assessment (LCA) of urban water infrastructure: Emerging approaches to balance objectives and inform comprehensive decision-making. Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology, 2017, 3, 1002-1014. [Featured on inside cover] http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/ArticleLanding/2017/EW/C7EW00175D#!divAbstract
- Byrne, D.M.; Grabowski, M.K.; Benitez, A.C.B.; Schmidt, A.R.; Guest, J.S. Evaluation of life cycle assessment (LCA) for roadway drainage systems. Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51(16): 9261-9270. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.est.7b01856
- Bauza, V.; Guest, J.S. The effect of young childrens feces disposal practices on child growth: Evidence from 34 countries. Tropical Medicine and International Health, 2017, 22(10): 1233-1248. [Selected as Editor's Choice article for October 2017 issue] http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/tmi.12930/full
- Hutchison, J.M.; Guest, J.S.; Zilles, J.L. Development of biocatalytic technology for the targeted removal of perchlorate from drinking water. Environmental Science & Technology, 2017, 51: 7178-7186. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.est.7b00831
- Gardner-Dale, D.A.; Bradley, I.M.; Guest, J.S. Influence of solids residence time and carbon storage on nitrogen and phosphorus recovery by microalgae across diel cycles. Water Research, 2017, 121: 231-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2017.05.033
- Li, Y.; Leow, S.; Fedders, A.C.; Sharma, B.K.; Guest, J.S.; Strathmann, T.J. Quantitative multiphase model for hydrothermal liquefaction of algal biomass. Green Chemistry, 2017, 19(4): 1163-1174. https://doi.org/10.1039/C6GC03294J
- Bauza, V.; Ocharo, R.M.; Nguyen, T.H.; Guest J.S. Soil ingestion is associated with child diarrhea in an urban slum of Nairobi, Kenya. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 2017, 96(3): 569-575. https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.16-0543
- Bradley, I.M.; Pinto, A.J.; Guest, J.S. Design and evaluation of Illumina MiSeq compatible 18S rRNA gene-specific primers for improved characterization of mixed phototrophic communities. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2016, 82(19): 5878-5891. http://aem.asm.org/content/82/19/5878.short
- Shoener, B.D.; Zhong, C.; Greiner, A.D.; Khunjar, W.O.; Hong, P.-Y.; Guest, J.S. Design of anaerobic membrane bioreactors for the valorization of dilute organic carbon waste streams. Energy & Environmental Science, 2016, 9: 1102-1112.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Shoener, B.D.; DeBellis, J.L.; Robinson, T.; Holm, W.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Optimization of model structure for suspended growth microalgal treatment processes. International Water Association (IWA) Conference on Algal Technologies and Stabilization Ponds for Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery. Valladolid, Spain; July 1-2, 2019.
- Shoener, B.D.; DeBellis, J.L.; Snowling, S.D.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Poster) Quantitative statistical assessment of microalgae models to optimize model structure and promote inclusion in water resource recovery facilities (WRRFs). International Young Water Professionals Conference (IYWPC); International Water Association (IWA); Toronto, Ontario, Canada; June 23-27, 2019.
- Byrne, D.M.; Houser, S.A.; Hamilton, K.; Mubasira, M.; Katende, D.; Trimmer, J.T.; Lohman, H.A.C.; Haas, C.; Banadda, N.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation). Global Sensitivity Analysis to Advance the Use of Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment (QMRA) in an Informal Settlement in Kampala, Uganda. Water and Health Conference; University of North Carolina, October 29 - November 2, 2018.
- Cortes-Pena, Y.; Kumar, D.; Singh, V.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) An open source process simulation environment on python for automated preliminary techno-economic analysis. American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) Annual Meeting; Pittsburgh, PA; October 28-November 2, 2018.
- Schramm, S.M.; Shoener, B.D.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Development of universal stoichiometric coefficients for modeling polyculture cultivation systems. Algae Biomass Organization (ABO) Summit; The Woodlands, TX; October 14-17, 2018.
- Shoener, B.D.; Schramm, S.M.; DeBellis, J.L.; Ackerman, C.A.; Snowling, S.D.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Process modeling of intensive algal nutrient recovery processes. Water Environment Federation Annual Technical Exhibition and Conference (WEFTEC); Water Environment Federation (WEF); New Orleans, LA; September 29-October 3, 2018.
- Shoener, B.D.; Bne, F.; Bernard, O.; Pl B.G.; Schramm, S.M.; Snowling, S.; Steyer, J.P.; Valverde-Pz, B.; von Dossow, C.M.; Wer, D.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Poster) Microalgae modeling in water resource recovery facilities: Toward a consensus. 6th IWA/WEF Water Resource Recovery Modelling Seminar. Quc, Canada: March 10-14, 2018. Awarded Best Poster Award.
- Byrne, D.M.; Trimmer, J.T.; Bauza, V.; Lardizabal, A.; Atim, P.; Guest, J.S. (Abstract, Presentation) Rural agriculture and drinking water safety in Northern Ghana: Practices, risks, and seasonal trends revealed through household sampling and long-term water source monitoring. UNC Water & Health Conference; Chapel Hill, NC; October 16-20, 2017.
- Guest, J.S.; Bradley, I.M.; Gardner-Dale, D.A.; Shoener, B.D. (Abstract, Presentation) Tailoring nitrogen to phosphorus recovery ratios in intensive microalgal treatment systems. The 2nd International Resource Recovery Conference; International Water Association (IWA); Manhattan, NY; August 5-9, 2017.
- Guest Editor: Special Issue on "Resource Recovery from Water: From Concept to Standard Practice"; Water Research, an Elsevier Journal; 2019. Other Guest Editors: Ilje Pikaar (Univ. of Queensland), Francesco Fatone (Universitolitecnica delle Marche), Xia Huang (Tsinghua Univ.).
- Guest Editor: Special Issue on "Anaerobic Technology"; Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology; a Royal Society of Chemistry Journal; 2018. Other Guest Editors: Paige Novak (Univ. of Minnesota), Aijie Wang (Chinese Academy of Sciences).
- Editorial Board Member: Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology; a Royal Society of Chemistry Journal; 2014-2020.
- Guest Editor: Special Issue on Carbon-Neutral Treatment Plants; Water Research, an Elsevier Journal; 2015. Other Guest Editor: Damien Batstone (Univ. of Queensland).
- Resource Recovery from Water Cluster; International Water Association (IWA); 2016-present
- Management Team Member; Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Water and Wastewater Treatment Working Group, within the Modelling and Integrated Assessment Specialist Group, International Water Association (IWA); 2012-present
- Management Team Member; Modelling of Integrated Urban Water Systems (MIUWS) Working Group, within the Modelling and Integrated Assessment Specialist Group, International Water Association (IWA); 2012-present
Service on Department Committees
- Environmental Engineering & Science Laboratory Director (2016-present)
- Department Interdisciplinary Oversight Committee (2016-2020)
- Award for Outstanding Teaching in Environmental Engineering & Science; Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) (2019)
- Excellence Award for Undergraduate Advising and Mentoring; Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering, UIUC (2018)
- Bill Boyle Outstanding Educator Award ("Educator of the Year"); Central States Water Environment Association (CSWEA) (2016)
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by their Students; UIUC (2014 (Sp, Fa); 2015 (Fa); 2016 (Sp, Fa); 2017 (Sp, Fa); 2018 (Fa))
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Research; College of Engineering, UIUC (2018)
- Beckman Fellow; Center for Advanced Study (CAS), UIUC (2017-2018)
- Paul L. Busch Award; Water Environment & Reuse Foundation (now The Water Research Foundation) (2016)
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Award; National Science Foundation (NSF) (2014-2019)
- Excellence Faculty Fellow; Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering (2016)
- MWH/AEESP Master's Thesis Award, First Place; Brian D. Shoener (M.S. Advisee); Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP) (2015)
- Excellence in Review Award; Environmental Science & Technology (2014)