Primary Research Area
- Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure Systems
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Southern California, 2012
- M.S., Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California, 2012
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Southern California, 2011
- M.S., Structural Engineering, Sharif University of Technology, Iran, 2005
- B.S., Civil Engineering, K.N.Toosi University of Technology, Iran, 2002
Dr. Meidani earned his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering from the University of Southern California (2012). He holds a B.S. in Civil Engineering (K.N. Toosi University of Technology, Iran 2002), a M.S. in Structural Engineering (Sharif University of Technology, Iran 2005) and a M.S. in Electrical Engineering (University of Southern California 2012).
After Ph.D. graduation, he has been a Postdoctoral Scholar in the Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering at USC (2012-2013) and a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute at the University of Utah (2013-2014).
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Scientific Computing and Imaging Institute, University of Utah, 2013-2014
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Southern California, 2012-2013
For more information
Dr. Meidani has research interests in uncertainty quantification and stochastic modeling for civil systems and structures. His primary research areas include stochastic multiscale analysis of complex civil systems, optimization and control under uncertainty, and robust data-driven management of infrastructure systems.
- Infrastructure Systems
- Stochastic Optimization
- Verification and Validation
- Risk and Reliability Analysis
- Model Reduction
- Uncertainty Quantification
Selected Articles in Journals
- H. Meidani, J.B. Hooper, R.M. Kirby and D. Bedrov (2017). "Calibration and Ranking of Coarse-grained Water Models using the Bayesian Formalism", International Journal for Uncertainty Quantification, 7(2): 99-115.
- V. Keshavarzzadeh, H. Meidani, D. Tortorelli (2016). "Gradient Based Design Optimization under Uncertainty via Stochastic Expansion Methods", Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 306: 4776.
- H. Meidani and R. Ghanem (2015). "Random Markov Decision Processes for Sustainable Infrastructure Systems", Structure and Infrastructure Engineering, Maintenance, Management, Life-Cycle Design and Performance 11 5: 655-667.
- H. Meidani and R. Ghanem (2014). "Multiscale Markov Models with Random Transitions for Energy Demand Management", Energy and Buildings. 61. pp 267274.
- H. Meidani and R. Ghanem (2014). "Spectral Power Iterations for the Random Eigenvalue Problem", AIAA Journal, Vol. 52, No. 5 (2014), pp 912-925.
- H. Meidani and R. Ghanem (2012). "Uncertainty Quantification for Markov Chain Models", Chaos: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Nonlinear Science. 22(4).
- M.I. Todorovska, H. Meidani, M.D. Trifunac (2009). "Wavelet Approximation of Earthquake Strong Ground Motion - Goodness of Fit for a Database in Terms of Predicting Nonlinear Structural Response". Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 29(4), pp 742-751.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- H. Meidani and R. Ghanem (2013). "Uncertainty Quantification of Diffusion Maps" 11th International Conference on Structural Safety & Reliability (ICOSSAR 2013), New York, NY.
- H. Meidani and R. Ghanem (2012). "Robust Decision Making for Markov Chains in Random Environment". Proceedings of the 2012 Joint Conference of the Engineering Mechanics Institute and 11th ASCE Joint Specialty Conference on Probabilistic Mechanics and Structural Reliability (EMI/PMC 2012), Notre Dame, IN.
- H. Meidani and R. Ghanem (2012). "A Stochastic Modal Decomposition Framework for the Analysis of Structural Dynamics under Uncertainties". Proceedings of the AIAA 53rd Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, Honolulu, HI.