- PhD Mechanical Engineering, ETH Zurich, 2013
- MSc Nuclear Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 2006
- BSc Energy Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 2003
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, 2016-date
- Faculty Affiliate, National Center for Supercomputing Applications, UIUC, 2016-date
For more information
- Fundamentals of Fluid Dynamics, Spring 2017
- Fundamentals of Fluid Dynamics, Fall 2016
- Bio-inspired optimization
- Fluid mechanics
- Soft mechanics
- High Performance Computing
- Applied Physics
- Computation and Applied Math
- Fluid Mechanics
- Health and Bio
- Security and Defende
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics
Selected Articles in Journals
- Park, S., M. Gazzola, K. Park, S. Park, V. Di Santo, E. Blevins, J. Lind, P. Campbell, S. Dauth, A. Capulli, F. Pasqualini, S. Ahn, A. Cho, H. Yuan, B. Maoz, R. Vijaykumar, J. Choi, K. Deisseroth, G. Lauder, L. Mahadevan, and K. Parker, "Phototactic guidance of a tissue-engineered soft-robotic ray," Science, 353(6295):158-162, 2016.
- Gazzola, M., M. Argentina, and L. Mahadevan, "Gait and speed selection in slender inertial swimmers," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112(13):38743879, 2015.
- Gazzola, M., L. Dudte, A. McCormick, and L. Mahadevan, "Dynamics of soft filaments that can stretch, shear, bend and twist," arXiv, 2015.
- Gazzola, M., A. Tchieu, D. Alexeev, A. de Brauer, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Learning to school in the presence of hydrodynamic interactions," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2015.
- van Rees, W.M., M. Gazzola, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Optimal morphokinematics for undulatory swimmers at intermediate Reynolds numbers," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 775:178188, 2015.
- Huhn, F., W. van Rees, M. Gazzola, D. Rossinelli, G. Haller, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Quantitative flow analysis of swimming dynamics with coherent lagrangian vortices," Chaos, 25(8), 2015.
- Rossinelli, D., B. Hejazialhosseini, W. van Rees, M. Gazzola, M. Bergdorf, and P. Koumoutsakos, "MRAG-I2D: Multi-resolution adapted grids for remeshed vortex methods on multicore architectures," Journal of Computational Physics, 288:118, 2015.
- Gazzola, M., M. Argentina, and L. Mahadevan, "Scaling macroscopic aquatic locomotion," Nature Physics, 10(10):758761, 2014.
- Gazzola, M., B. Hejazialhosseini, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Reinforcement learning and wavelet adapted vortex methods for simulations of self-propelled swimmers," SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 36(3):B622B639, 2014.
- van Rees, W., M. Gazzola, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Optimal shapes for anguilliform swimmers at intermediate Reynolds numbers," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 722:R3, 2013.
- Gazzola, M., C. Mimeau, A. Tchieu, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Flow mediated interactions between two cylinders at finite Reynolds numbers," Physics of Fluids, 24(4):043103, 2012.
- Gazzola, M., W. van Rees, and P. Koumoutsakos, "C-start: optimal start of larval fish," Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 698:518, 2012.
- Gazzola, M., P. Chatelain, W. van Rees, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Simulations of single and multiple swimmers with non-divergence free deforming geometries," Journal of Computational Physics, 230(19):7093 7114, 2011.
- Gazzola, M., O. Vasilyev, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Shape optimization for drag reduction in linked bodies using evolution strategies," Computers and Structures, 89(11-12):12241231, 2011.
- Chatelain, P., M. Gazzola, S. Kern, and P. Koumoutsakos, "Optimization of aircraft wake alleviation schemes through an evolution strategy," Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6649:210221, 2011.
- Gazzola, M., C. Burckhardt, B. Bayati, M. Engelke, U. Greber, and P. Koumoutsakos, "A stochastic model for microtubule motors describes the in vivo cytoplasmic transport of human adenovirus," PLoS Computational Biology, 5(12):e1000623, 2009.
- Peiro, J., L. Formaggia, M. Gazzola, A. Radaelli, and V. Rigamonti, "Shape reconstruction from medical images and quality mesh generation via implicit surfaces," International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 53(8):13391360, 2007.
- Oubel, E., M. De Craene, M. Gazzola, O. Alfred, and A. Frangi, "Multiview registration of cardiac tagging mri images," 4th IEEE International Symposium on Biomedical Imaging: Macro to Nano, 1-3:388391, 2007.
- Blue Waters Professorship (2016)
- Cover of Science
- Advanced Swiss National Science Foundation Fellowship (2015)
- Le Prix La Recherche (2015)
- Cover of Nature Physics (2014)
- Swiss National Science Foundation Fellowship (2013)
- ETH Medal Award for Outstanding Doctoral Thesis (2013)
- Cover of Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2013)
- Cover of Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2012)
- Focus on Fluids in Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2012)
- UIUC Teacher Ranked as Excellent by Their Students - Fall 2016
- Collins Scholars, 2016-2017