Thomas S Huang
Primary Research Area
- Signals, Inference and Networks
- Sc.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1963
For more information
My research lies in two related areas: Multimodal (esp. audio and visual) human computer interaction; and Multimedia (images, video, audio, text) annotation and search. Research projects in the first area include: Visual hand tracing and gesture recognition; audio-visual recognition of gender, age group, and emotion. Projects in the second area include: Web-based face annotation and recognition; multimedia profiling of broadcast news anchors.
- Image Processing, Image Compression, Computer Vision, Human Computer Interaction, Image and Video Databases, Machine Learning
- Honorary Chair, ACM Conference on Content-Based Image and Video Retrieval (2008)
- Honorary Chair, IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2008)
- Honorary Professor at: Shandong University; Chinese Ocean Uniersity; Qin Tao University of Technology, PRC; and national Taiwan University, Taiwan
- IBM Faculty Award (2006)
- Picture Coding Symposium: Pioneering Research in Picture Coding Award (2006)
- IS&T and SPIE Imaging Scientist of the Year Award (2006)
- Okawa Prize for Information and Telecommunations Technology, 2005.
- Tau Beta Pi Daniel C. Drucker Eminent Faculty Award, 2005.
- Center for Advanced Study Professor, UIUC, 2003-
- IBM Faculty Award, 2002 and 2003
- Honored by three former students who edited a Festschrift: A. C. Bovik, C. W. Chen, and D. Goldgof (eds.), "Advances in Image Processing and Understanding: A Festschrift for Thomas S. Huang," World Scientific, 2002.
- Pan Wen-Yuan Outstanding Research Award, Pan Wen-Yuan Foundation, 2002
- King-Sun Fu Prize, International Association of Pattern Recognition, 2002
- Information Science Award, Association of Intelligent Machinery, 2002
- Foreign Member, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2002
- Foreign Member, Chinese Academy of Engineering, 2001
- Member, National Academy of Engineering, 2001
- IEEE Jack Kilby Medal, 2001
- Honda Lifetime Achievement Award for Contributions to Motion Analysis, 2000
- IEEE Third Millenium Medal, 2000
- Speech, and Signal Processing, 1998.
- Signal Processing at the IEEE Int. Conf. on Acoustics,
- IEEE Signal Processing Society, honored as a Pioneer in
- IEEE Signal Processing Society "Oral History" interviewee, 1997
- Peter Bartel Visiting Professor, U. Washington, 1997
- William L. Everitt Distinguished Professor, Dept. of ECE, UIUC, 1996-
- University Scholar, UIUC, 1990
- Associate in Center for Advanced Study, UIUC, 1990-91
- IEEE Signal Processing Society, Society Award, 1991
- IEEE ASSP Society Technical Achievement Award, 1988
- Pattern Recognition (An International Journal), Best Paper Awards: 1989, 1992, and 1995
- Co-author of IEEE ASSP Society Best Paper, 1986
- Fellow, Japan Society for the promotion of science, 1986
- SPIE, Fellow
- International Association of Pattern Recognition, Fellow
- Optical Society of America, Fellow, 1986
- IEEE, Fellow, 1979
- A. V. Humboldt U.S. Senior Scientist Award, 1976-77
- Guggenheim Fellow, 1971-72
- Co-authors of Best DoCoMo Inovation Paper Award, IEEE Int. Conference on Image Processing, San Antonio, TX, 2007
- Keynote Speaker, International conference on Biometrics, Seoul, Korea, 2007
- Keynote Speaker, IEEE Motion Workshop, Austin, TX, 2007
- Co-author of Best Student Paper Award, ACM International Conference on Content-Based Image and Video Retrieval, 2006
- Co-author of Best Student Paper Award, International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2006
- Keynote Speaker, International Forum on Digital Media, Shanghai, China, November 2006
- Keynote Speaker, German Conference on Pattern Recognition, Berlin, Germany, September 2006
- Keynote Speaker, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Exposition, Toronto, Canda, July 2006
- Keynote Speaker, International Workshop on Genomic Signal Processing, Buchrest, Romania, July 2005
- Keynote Speaker, IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Multimedia, Tokyo, Japan, Dec. 2004
- Keynote Speaker, IEEE International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing, Siena, Italy, Sept. 2004
- Keynote Speaker, IEEE Symposium on Communication, Control, and Signal Processing, Tunis, Tunisia, March 2004.
- Keynote Speaker, Digital Image Computing Techniques and Applications, Sydney, Australia, December 2003,
- Keynote Speaker, International Picture Coding Symposium, St. Malo, France, August 2003,
- Keynote Speaker, IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Exposition, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2002,
- Keynote Speaker, Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Quebec, Canada, 2002
- Keynote Speaker, Int. Conf. on Augmented and Virtual Reality and 3D (ICAV3D), Mykonos, Greece, 2001
- Keynote Speaker, Int. computer Symposium, Chungli, Taiwan, ROC, Dec. 2000
- Keynote Speaker, Int. conf. on Images and Graphics, Tianjian, PRC, 2000
- Keynote Speaker, Int. Workshop on Very Low Bitrate Video Coding, Kobe, Japan, Oct. 1999
- Keynote Speaker, Int. Conference on Image Analysis and Processing, Slovenia, Sept. 1999
- Keynote Speaker, NATO Conf. on Computer Vision and Graphics, Slovenia, Aug. 1999
- Keynote Speaker, IEEE Int. Workshop on Neural Networks for Signal Processing, Madison, WI, Aug. 1999
- Keynote Speaker, Int. Conf. on Audio- and Video-Based Person Authentication, March 1999, DC
- Keynote Speaker, Workshop on Gestures, March 1999, Paris, France
- Keynote Speaker, Int. Conference on Computer Science, Dec. 1998, Taiwan..
- Keynote Speaker, Joint Conferences on Information Sciences, Oct. 1998, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Keynote Speaker, International Symposium on Multimedia Signal Processing, Dec. 1997, Taipei, Taiwan
- Keynote Speaker, International Conference on Patter Recognition, Aug. 1996, Vienna, Austria
- Keynote Speaker, International Workshop on Stereoscopy and 3D Imaging, Santorini, Greece, Sept. 6, 1995
- Keynote Speaker, International Conference on Computer Vision, Hong Kong, Dec. 11, 1995
- Distinguished Lecturer, City University of New York, University Central Florida, U Massachusetts Amherst, 2006
- Distinguished Lecturer, University of Rochester, Center for Electronic Imaging, April 11, 1995
- Distinguished Lecturer, Texas A & M, Dept. EE, April 28, 1995
- IEEE Signal Processing Society Distinguished Lecturer, 1993-94
- International Association Pattern Recognition, Fellow, 1994
- Invited to write the leading article in the 100th Commorative issue of the Japanese Society of Image Electronics Engineers
- Distinguished Lecturer, University of Southern California, Feb. 26, 1993
- Distinguished Lecturer, Virginia Polytech, April 14, 1992
- Keynote Speaker, Int. Conf. on Intelligent Information Systems, Oct. 23-25, 1992, Beijing, China (PRC)
- Keynote Speaker, SPIE Conf. on Visual Communication and Image Processing, Nov. 1992, Boston, MA
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 1993-94
- The paper "Image Processing" by T. S. Huang, W. F. Schreiber, and O. J. Tretiak, in Proc. IEEE, Nov. 1971, was designated by citation index as a citation classic.
- Listed in "Who's Who in America"
- Listed as one of the top 15 experts in machine vision in the world in a report on machine vision prepared by E-F. Hutton, 1986.
- Member - Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi, Eta Kappa Nu.