Primary Research Area
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering University of California San Diego 2017
- B.S. Geological Engineering Cukurva University 2009
Dr. Tugce Baser is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, specializing in Geotechnical Engineering. Her research interests include unsaturated soil mechanics, energy geotechnics, trenchless technologies, and sustainable geo-energy applications. Over the past five years, Dr. Baser has been awarded honors by international institutions and invited as a keynote speaker. She received her PhD degree in Geotechnical Engineering from University of California San Diego in 2017. Dr. Baser is a member of ASCE G-I, ISSMGE, and CGS where she is actively engaged with the student, professional, and diversity development.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 10/2018-Present
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Geotechnical Engineering, University of Alberta, 7/2017-6/2018
For more information
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Dear undergraduate and graduate students, I have multiple research topics in the area of subsurface characterization and modeling of geothermal systems and directional drilling. If interested, feel free to contact me.
- Unsaturated soils
- Geothermal and geo-exchange systems
- Subsurface characterization
- Sustainability of Geo-energy systems
- Directional Drilling
Chapters in Books
- Başer, T., Traore, T. and McCartney, J.S. (2016). Physical modeling of coupled heat transfer and water flow in soil-borehole thermal energy storage systems in the vadose zone. In: Geothermal Energy: An Emerging Resource. C.B. Dowling, L.J. Florea, and K. Neumann, eds. GSA Books. Boulder, CO. Geological Society of America Special Paper 519. 1-13.
Selected Articles in Journals
- Baser,T and McCartney, J.S. (2018). Transient Evaluation of a Soil-Borehole Thermal Energy Storage System. Renewable Energy, Accepted:In Press
- Başer, T., Tartakovsky, D., Dong, Y., Lu, N., Moradi, A., Smits, K., and McCartney, J.S (2017). Role of non-equilibrium water vapor diffusion in thermal energy storage systems. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering
- Başer, T., Lu, N., and McCartney, J.S. (2016). Operational response of a soil-borehole thermal energy storage system. ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. 04015097-1-12. 10.1061/(ASCE)GT.1943-5606.0001432.
- Kolay, E., Başer, T., 2014. Estimation of the Dry Unit Weight of Compacted Soils Using General Linear Model and Multilayer Perceptron Neural Networks, Applied Soft Computing, Vol 18, pp. 223-231, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.asoc.2014.01.033.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Baser, T., (2017). Transient heat transfer in vertical ground heat exchangers. ISSMGE 6IYGEC 2017, September 16-17, Seoul, South Korea.
- Baser, T., Dong, Y., Lu, N., McCartney, J.S., 2017. Evaluation of coupled thermal and hydraulic relationships used in simulation of thermally-induced water flow in unsaturated soils. PanAm Unsat-2017, Dallas, TX
- McCartney, J.S. and Başer, T., (2017). Role of coupled process in thermal energy storage in the vadose zone. ISSMGE CPEG2 2017, September 6-7, Leeds, UK.
- McCartney, J.S., Başer, T., Zhan, N., Lu, N., Ge, S., and Smits, K., (2017). Storage of Solar Thermal Energy in Borehole Thermal Energy Storage Systems. IGSHPA Technical/Research Conference and Expo Denver March 14-16, 2017.
- Başer, T., Dong, Y., and McCartney, J.S. (2016). Heat content in soil-borehole thermal energy systems in the vadose zone. ICEGT 2016: 1st International Conference on Energy Geotechnics. Kiel. Aug. 29-31. 1-8.
- Başer, T., Dong, Y., Lu, N., and McCartney, J.S. (2016). Role of considering non-constant soil thermal parameters in the simulation of geothermal heat storage systems in the vadose zone. Proc. 8AYGEC 2016. Astana, Kazakhstan, Aug. 6-8. 6 pg.
- Başer, T., McCartney, J.S., Moradi, A., Smits, K., and Lu, N. (2016). Impact of a thermo- hydraulic insulating layer on the long-term response of soil-borehole thermal energy storage systems. GeoChicago 2016: Sustainability, Energy and the Geoenvironment. Chicago. Aug. 14-18. pp. 125-134.
- Başer, T. and McCartney, J.S. (2015). Development of a full-scale soil-borehole thermal energy storage system. Proc. IFCEE 2015. San Antonio, TX. Mar. 17-21. ASCE. pp. 1608- 1617.
- Başer, T and McCartney, J.S. (2015). Thermal Energy Storage in Borehole Heat Exchanger Arrays. International Symposium on Energy Geotechnics. SEG2015. Barcelona, Spain, June 2-4. 4.
- Başer, T., Linkowski, D., and McCartney, J.S. (2014). Heat storage in soil -borehole thermal energy storage systems in the vadose zone. Proc. 7th ICEG. Nov. 10-14. Melbourne. pp. 1-8. 5.
- McCartney, J.S., Alsherif, N., Coccia, C.J.R., Stewart, M.A., Başer, T., Traore, T., and Goode, J.C. III (2014). Unsaturated Soil Mechanics in Geothermal Energy Applications. Unsaturated Soils: Research & Applications (UNSAT 2014). Sydney, Australia. Jul. 2-4. N. Khalili, A. Russell, A. Khoshghalb, eds. 835-842. 6
- Kayabalı, K., Balcı, M. C. and Başer, T., Preliminary results from a small geotechnical centrifuge for consolidation tests: Proc. Of Third Intl Conf. on New Developments in Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, June 28-30 2012, Near East University, Nicosia, TRNC, 820-827.
- Kolay, E. and Başer, T., 2010. Estimation of dry unit weight of soils by ANN. 7th International Symposium on the Eastern Mediterranean Geology, 18-22 October, Cukurova University, Turkey.
- Başer, T., Kolay, E., and Ak M.A., 2011. The effect of basalt textures on some empirical relationships. Proceedingds of the X. Regional Rock Mechanics Symposium, pp 231-237, METU, Ankara.
- Gao, B., Baser, T., Deng, S., Kang, C., and Bayat, A. (2018). Pressure management of drilling fluid in Horizontal Directional Drilling: An Operational Review. In review: ASCE Journal Construction Engineering and Management
- Campbel, C. 2017. Interview with Tugce Baser: Improved Methods Save Money in Future Borehole Thermal Energy Storage Design. http://www.environmentalbiophysics.org/borehole-thermal-energy-storage-improved- design/
- Başer, T., Zheng, Y., and Zayed, M., (2017). Lessons Learned from Geo-Legends. GeoStrata: The Magazine of the GeoInstitute of ASCE. http://geostrata.geoinstitute.org/departments/2015-05-06p20-29/
- Başer, T., Dong, Y., Lu, N., and McCartney, J.S. (2016). Research on soil-borehole thermal energy storage systems in the U.S.A. TC308 on Energy Geotechnics Newsletter. International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. 1(1), 22-26.
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), A. Member
- International Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE), Member
- Canadian Geotechnical Society, Member
- International Geosynthetics Society (IGS), Member
- ISSMGE Young Member Presidential Group, (2017-present)
- ISSMGE TC308 Young Member Task Force Leader (2018-present)
- Bright Spark Lecturer, XVI PanAmerican Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Cancun, Mexico (10/2019)
- Delegate of 6th International Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference (ISSMGE), Seoul, Korea (09/2017)
- Scholar of Top Global University Project, GSGES Spring School Program, Kyoto University (2/16-3/16)
- Best theme paper, 7th International Conference on Environmental Geotechnics (10/2014)
- Visiting Graduate Researcher of Council of Higher Education of Turkish Republic at University of Colorado Boulder (8/2011-12/2011 )