Primary Research Area
- Condensed Matter Physics - Condensed Matter Physics (experimental)
Professor Abbamonte received his Ph.D from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in 1999, having done his research with the then thriving Materials Physics Department at Bell Laboratories. He then went to the University of Groningen in The Netherlands on an IRFAP fellowship from the National Science Foundation. In 2001, he returned to the U.S. as a postdoc in biophysics at Cornell University, where he studied photosynthesis in Rhodobacter sphaeroides, and joined the scientific staff at Brookhaven National Laboratory in 2003. He was recruited to the Department of Physics in August of 2005.
Professor Abbamonte is one of the originators of the technique of resonant soft x-ray scattering, which he has used, among other things, to discover a Wigner crystal in doped spin ladders, and to show that stripes in copper-oxide superconductors are charged. This technique is now in use at every major synchrotron facility in the world. He is also known for his solution to the phase problem for inelastic x-ray scattering, permitting real-time imaging of electron motion in condensed matter with attosecond time resolution. He has recently used this approach, for example, to image the formation of excitons in insulators, and to measure the effective fine structure constant of graphene.
Abbamonte is the founder of Inprentus, a premium optics manufacturer based at the University of Illinois Research Park.
For more information
- electron self-organization in condensed matter, stripe phases, topological order; edge and interface effects in oxide devices; quantum phase transitions; collective excitations in interacting electron systems.
Selected Articles in Journals
- M. Mitrano, A. A. Husain, S. Vig, A. Kogar, M. S. Rak, S. I. Rubeck, J. Schmalian, B. Uchoa, J. Schneeloch, R. Zhong, G. D. Gu, and P. Abbamonte, Anomalous density fluctuations in a strange metal, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (advance online publication)
- A. Kogar, M. S. Rak, S. Vig, A. A. Husain, F. Flicker, Y. I. Joe, L. Venema, G. J. MacDougall, T. C. Chiang, E. Fradkin, J. van Wezel, P. Abbamonte, Signatures of exciton condensation in a transition metal dichalcogenide, Science 358, 1314 (2017)
- S. Vig, A. Kogar, M. Mitrano, A. A. Husain, L. Venema, M. S. Rak, V. Mishra, P. D. Johnson, G. D. Gu, E. Fradkin, M. R. Norman, P. Abbamonte, Measurement of the dynamic charge response of materials using low-energy, momentum-resolved electron energy-loss spectroscopy (M-EELS), SciPost Phys. 3, 026 (2017)
- Y. Gan, G. A. de la Peña, A. Kogar, B. Uchoa, D. Casa, T. Gog, E. Fradkin, P. Abbamonte, Reexamination of the Effective Fine Structure Constant of Graphene as Measured in Graphite, Phys. Rev. B 93, 195150 (2016)
- Y.I. Joe, X. M. Chen, P. Ghaemi, D. D. Finkelstein, G. A. de la Pena, Y. Gan, J.C.T. Lee, S. Yuan, J. Geck, G. J. McDougall, T. C. Chiang, S.L. Cooper, E. Fradkin, P. Abbamonte, Emergence of Charge Density wave domain walls above the superconducting dome in 1T-TiSe2, Nature Physics, 10, 421 (2014)
- Y. Gan, A. Kogar, P. Abbamonte, Crystallographic refinement of collective excitations using standing wave inelastic X-ray scattering, Chemical Physics 414, 160 (2013)
- J. P. Reed, B. Uchoa, Y. I. Joe, Y. Gan, D. Casa, E. Fradkin, P. Abbamonte, The effective fine structure constant of freestanding graphene measured in graphite, Science 330, 805 (2010)
- P. Abbamonte, G. C. L. Wong, D. Cahill, J. P. Reed, R. H. Coridan, N. W. Schmidt, G. H. Lai, Y. I. Joe, D. Casa, Ultrafast Imaging and the Phase Problem for Inelastic X-Ray Scattering, Advanced Materials 22, 1141 (2010)
- R. H. Coridan, N. W. Schmidt, G. H. Lai, R. Godawat, M. Krisch, S. Garde, P. Abbamonte, G. C. L. Wong, Hydration dynamics at femtosecond timescales and Angstrom lengthscales from inelastic x-ray scattering, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 237402 (2009)
- S. Smadici, J. C. T. Lee, S. Wang, P. Abbamonte, A. Gozar, G. Logvenov, C. D. Cavellin, I. Bozovic, Superconducting transition at 38 K in insulating-overdoped La2CuO4-La1.64Sr0.36CuO4 superlattices: Evidence for interface electronic redistribution from resonant soft x-ray scattering, Phys. Rev. Lett. 102, 107004 (2009)
- P. Abbamonte, T. Graber, J. P. Reed, S. Smadici, C.-L. Yeh, A. Shukla, J.-P. Rueff, W. Ku, Dynamical reconstruction of the exciton in LiF with inelastic x-ray scattering, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 105, 12159 (2008)
- S. Smadici, P. Abbamonte, A. Bhattacharya, X. Zhai, B. Jiang, A. Rusydi, J. N. Eckstein, S. D. Bader, J. M. Zuo, Electronic reconstruction of LaMnO3-SrMnO3 superlattice interfaces, Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 196404 (2007)
- P. Abbamonte, A. Rusydi, S. Smadici, G. D. Gu, G. A. Swawatzky, and D. L. Feng. Spatially modulated "Mottness" in La2-xBaxCuO4. Nature Physics 1, 155-158 (2005).
- P. Abbamonte, G. Blumberg, A. Rusydi, A. Gozar, P.G. Evans, T.S. Siegrist, L. Venema, H. Eisaki, E.D. Isaacs, and G.A. Sawatzky. Crystallization of charge holes in the spin ladder of Sr14Cu24O41. Nature 431, 1078-1081 (2004)
- P. Abbamonte, K. D. Finkelstein, M. D. Collins, and S. M. Gruner. Imaging density disturbances in water with a 41.3-attosecond time resolution. Phys. Rev. Lett. 92, 237401 (2004)
- P. Abbamonte, L. Venema, A. Rusydi, I. Bozovic, and G. A. Sawatzky. A structural probe of the doped holes in cuprate superconductors. Science 297, 581-584 (2002)
- Full publication list
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2014
- Moore Foundation EPiQS Investigator, 2014-2019
- University Scholar, 2014
- Xerox Award for Faculty Research, 2010
- Arnold O. Beckman Fellow, Center for Advanced Study 2008-2009
- NSF Intl. Research Fellowship, 2000-2001