- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, December 2015
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, May 2014
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, WI, May 2010
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, Magna Cum Laude May 2008
- Research Assistant Professor, Applied Research Institute, Jan. 2017 - present (0%)
- Research Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Jan. 2017 - present (100%)
- Adjunct Research Assistant Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Dec. 2016 - Jan. 2017 (0%)
For more information
Other Professional Employment
- Sr. Multi-Disciplinary Systems Engineer, The MITRE Corporation, Bedford MA, Jan. 2016 - Jan. 2017
Major Consulting Activities
- Consultant for The MITRE Corporation, Feb. 2017-Sept. 2017
- AE 443 Aerospace Systems Design II (Spring 2018).
- AE 442 Aerospace Systems Design I (Fall 2018).
- AE 498 CSE/CSO Computational Methods for Systems Engineering (Spring 2017).
- Systems Engineering and System-of-Systems
- Systems Design
- Resilient Systems
- Network Science
- Machine Learning
- Reinforcement Learning
Selected Articles in Journals
- Tran, H. T., Balchanos, M., Domercant, J. C., & Mavris, D. N., "A framework for the quantitative assessment of performance-based system resilience," Reliability Engineering and System Safety. 158, pp. 7384, 2017.
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, "Evaluating the Agility of Adaptive Command and Control Networks from a Cyber Complex Adaptive Systems Perspective," Journal of Defense Modeling & Simulation. 12, pp. 405-422, 2015.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- L. Antul, S. Ricks, L. Cho, M. Cotter, R. B. Jacobs, A. Markina-Khusid, J. Kamenetsky, J. Dahmann, and H. T. Tran, "Toward Scaling Model-Based Engineering for Systems of Systems," 2018 IEEE Aerospace Conference, Big Sky, MT, 2018 (accepted).
- K. R. Chandramouleeswaran and H. T. Tran, "Data-driven Resilience Quantification of the US Air Transportation Network," 2018 Annual IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon), Vancouver, CA, 2018 (accepted).
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, "Designing Resilient System-of-Systems Networks," 2017 Annual IEEE International Systems Conference (SysCon), Montreal, CA, 2017.
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, "A Network-based Cost Comparison of Resilient and Robust System-of-Systems," In Procedia Computer Science (Vol. 95, p. 126-133), Complex Adaptive Systems Conference, Los Angeles, CA, 2016 (Best Paper Award: Theoretical).
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, Assessing the Resilience of Reconfigurable Command and Control Architectures, AIAA Infotech @ Aerospace Conference, Kissimmee, FL, 2015 (also AIAA Paper 2015-0640).
- M. G. Balchanos, J. C. Domercant, H. T. Tran, and D. N. Mavris, Metrics-based Analysis and Evaluation Framework for Engineering Resilient Systems, 2014 7th International Symposium on Resilient Control Systems (ISRCS), p. 1-7, Denver, CO, 2014.
- H. T. Tran, J. C. Domercant, and D. N. Mavris, Trade-offs Between Command and Control Architectures and Force Capabilities Using Battlespace Awareness, 19th International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium (ICCRTS), Alexandria, VA, 2014.
- K. R. Chandramouleeswaran and H. T. Tran, "Predicting Impacts of Extreme Events on the National Airspace" 2018 AIAA Aviation (under review).
- N. Napier, S. Sriraman, H. T. Tran, and K. James, "An Artificial Neural Network Approach to Generating High-Resolution Designs in Topology Optimization" Journal of Mechanical Design (under review).