K. Jimmy Hsia
Primary Research Area
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering M.I.T. 1990
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering Beijing Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beijing, China 1984
- B.S. Engineering Mechanics Tsinghua University, Beijing, China 1982
- Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, Apr. 14, 2005-date
- Professor, Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, UIUC, 2004-Apr. 13, 2005
- Departmental Affiliate, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, 1999-02
- Visiting Professor, Nagoya University, Japan, 1999
- Visiting Scientist, Max-Planck Institute, Stuttgart, Germany, 1998
- Associate Professor, University of Illinois, 1997-04
- Assistant Professor, Department of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, UIUC, 1991-97
- Laboratory Instructor (20%), M.I.T., 1991
- Post-doctoral Associate, M.I.T., 1989-91
- Research Assistant, M.I.T., 1985-89
- Research Assistant, Beijing Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1982-84
For more information
Other Professional Employment
- Assistant Manager and Special Assistant to the General Manager on International Affairs, China Aeronautical Technology Import and Export Inc., Shenzhen Industrial and Trade Center, Shenzhen, China, 1984-85
Professor Hsia studies the way cracks form in brittle materials, such as glass and metal-particularly when they are subjected to heat or temperature change. His experiments with ordinary glass look at the way cracks spread through glass that has been heated and cooled.
After making an initial scratch at the edge, a small piece of glass is heated and then dipped in a cold bath. Varying the amount of heat and cold allows him to observe the way the cracks spread through the glass. When the difference between the hot and cold temperatures is relatively small, the cracks spread, or propagate, in a straight line. But, as the difference between the hot and cold temperatures grows, the driving force increases and the cracks start to form multiple cracks and/or waves.
Professor Hsia suspects that as the temperature gradient increases, the cracks dissipate the energy by forming new surfaces through the formation of multiple cracks and that the wave-like cracks that form at the highest temperature gradients are a way for the cracks to generate new surfaces with a single crack. Understanding how this occurs may provide clues that would allow stress-dissipating factors to be built into car windshields, so that cracks would be arrested rather than destroying the whole windshield.
In metals, Professor Hsia is studying the failure of thermal barrier coatings in gas-turbine engines. He suspects that the surface roughness of the bond coat used to attach the coatings onto metal may play a role in the failure of such coatings at high temperatures. He is currently investigating the mechanism by which the rumpling of this bond coat over time-due to high temperatures and other factors-roughens the surface of the bond coat and causes the coating to slough off over time.
Professor Hsia is also collaborating with two other professors in the department, Richard DeVor and Shiv Kapoor, to compare the machinability of polymers reinforced with carbon nanotubes with that of conventional carbon fiber composites. Recent published results indicate that polymers reinforced with carbon nanotubes are easier to machine and produce better results.
- Mechanics of Living Cells
- Mechanics and mechanisms of creep damage and creep fracture
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- Liu, Q., H. Wang, H. Li, J. Zhang, S. Zhuang, F. Zhang, K. J. Hsia, P. Wang, Impedance Sensing and Molecular Modeling of an Olfactory Biosensor based on Chemosensory Proteins of Honeybee, Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 40(1), 174-179, 2013.
- Liu, Q., F. Zhang, D. Zhang, N. Hu, H. Wang, K. J. Hsia, P. Wang, "Bioelectronic Tongue of Taste Buds on Microelectrode Array for Salt Sensing," Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 40(1), 115-120, 2013.
- Huang, X.U., H. Yang, ACT. van Duin, K. J. Hsia, and S. L. Zhang, "Chemomechanics Control of Tearing Paths in Graphene," Physical Review B, Vol. 85, Issue: 19, Article Number: 195453:1-6, 2012.
- Alizadegan R., A. D. Liao, F. Xiong, E. Pop, and K. J. Hsia, Effects of Tip-Nanotube Interaction on Atomic Force Microscopy Imaging of Carbon Nanotubes, Nano Research, 5(4), 235-247, 2012 (Cover article).
- Jeong, J.H., V. Chan, C. Cha, P. Zorlutuna, C. Dyck, K. J. Hsia, R. Bashir, and H. Kong, Living Microvascular Stamp for Patterning of Functional Neovessels; Orchestrated Control of Matrix Property and Geometry, Advanced Materials, 2011 Nov 23. doi: 10.1002/adma.201103207 (cover article).
- Millet, L.J., K. Park, N.N. Watkins, K. J. Hsia, and R. Bashir, "Separating Beads and Cells in Multi-channel Microfluidic Devices using Dielectrophoresis and Laminar Flow," Journal of Visualized Experiments (a new video journal), Bioengineering, issue 48, 02/04/11, 2011.
- Liu W., L. Zhang, K.J. Hsia, J. K. Shang, “Fast Spreading of Liquid SnPb Solder on Gold-coated Copper Wheel Pattern,” Journal of Materials Science and Technology, 26 (12), 1143-1147, 2010.
- Park, K., L. Millet, N. Kim, H. Li, X. Jin, G. Popescu, N.R. Aluru, K. J. Hsia, and R. Bashir, "Measurement of Adherent Cell Mass and Growth," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 107, 20691-20696, 2010.
- Li,H., X. Guo, R.G. Nuzzo, and K.J. Hsia, "Capillary Induced Self-Assembly of Thin Foils into 3D Structures, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 58, 2033-2042, 2010.
- Chun,I.S., A. Challa, B. Derickson, K. J. Hsia and X. Li, "Geometry Effect on the Strain-Induced Self-rolling of Semiconductor Membranes," Nano Letters, 10, 3927-3932, 2010.
- Liao, A., R. Alizadegan, Z.-Y. Ong, S. Dutta, F. Xiong, K. J. Hsia, and E. Pop, "Thermal Dissipation and Variability in Electrical Breakdown of Carbon Nanotube Devices," Physical Review B, 82(20), 205406, 2010.
- Huang, X., H. Yuan, K. J. Hsia, and S. Zhang, "Coordinated Buckling of Thick Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes Under Uniaxial Compression, Nano Research, 3, 32, 2010.
- Alizadegan, R., K. J. Hsia and T. Martinez, "A Divide and Conquer Real Space Finite-Element Hartree-Fock Method," Journal of Chemical Physics, 132, 034101, 2010
- Guo, X., H. Li, B. Y. Ahn, E. B. Duoss, K. J. Hsia, J. A. Lewis, R. G. Nuzzo, "Two and Three-Dimensional Folding of Thin Film Single-Crystalline Silicon for Photovoltaic Power Applications," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106:48, 20149-20154, 2009 (Cover article).
- Samuel, J., A. Dikshit, R. E. DeVor, S. G. Kapoor, and K. J. Hsia, Effect of Carbon Nanotube (CNT) Loading on the Thermo-mechanical Properties and the Machinability of CNT-Reinforced Polymer Composites, ASME Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, 131:3, 031008, 2009.
- Terdalkar, S. S., S. Zhang, J. J. Rencis, and K. J. Hsia, Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Ion-irradiation Induced Deflection of 2D Graphene Films, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 45:13, 3908-3917, 2008.
- Hsia, K. J., M. Goken, T. Pollock, and P. D. Progella, TMS Honorary Symposium for Hael Mughrabi, Advanced Engineering Materials, 9:7, 525-525, 2007.
- Samuel, J., R. E. DeVor, S. G. Kapoor, and K. J. Hsia, Experimental Investigation of the Machinability of Polycarbonate Reinforced with Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes, Journal of Manufactruing Science and Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, 128:2, 465-473, 2006.
- Zhang, S., R. Khare, T. Belytschko, K. J. Hsia, S. L. Mielke, and G. C. Schatz, Transition States and Minimum Energy Pathways for the Collapse of Carbon Nanotubes, Physical Review B, 73, 075423:1-7, 2006.
- Yang, F. Q., B. B. Rath, M. A. Meyers, K. J. Hsia, R. J. Arsenault, C. S. Pande, H. Y. Yu, M. A. Imam, M. H. Yoo, and S. N. G. Chu, Special Issue in Honor f Professor James C.M. Li, Materials Science and Engineering A, 409:1-2, 1-3, 2005.
- Huang, Y., W. Zhou, K. J. Hsia, E. Menard, J.-U. Park, J. Rogers, and A. G. Alleyne, "Stamp Collapse in Soft Lithography," Langmuir, 21, 8058-8068, 2005.
- Liu, M., K. J. Hsia, and J.-K. Shang, "Driving Forces for Interfacial Fatigue Crack Growth By Piezoelectric Actuators," Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 16:7/8, 557-566, 2005.
- Hsia, K. J., Y. Huang, E. Menard, J.-U. Park, W. Zhou, J. Rogers, and J. M. Fulton, "Collapse of Microcontact Printing Stamps due to Interfacial Adhesion," Applied Physics Letters 86, 154106:1-3, 2005, [PDF]. Selected to be published in Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology, Issue April 18, 2005. The Virtual Journal, published by the American Institute of Physics and the American Physical Society in cooperation with numerous other societies and publishers, is an edited compilation of links to articles from participating publishers, covering a focused area of frontier research.
- Panat, R., K. J. Hsia, and J. Oldham, "Rumpling Instability in Thermal Barrier Systems under Isothermal Conditions in Vacuum," Philosophical Magazine, 85:1, 45-64, 2005.
- Panat, R., K. J. Hsia, and D. G. Cahill, "Evolution of Surface Waviness in Thin Films via Volume and Surface Diffusion," Journal of Applied Physics, 97, 013521:1-7, 2005.
- Liu, M., K. J. Hsia, and M. Sardela, "In-situ X-ray Diffraction Study of Electric Field Induced Domain Switching and Phase Transition in PZT-5H, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 88:1, 210-215, 2005.
- Ji, B., H. Gao, and K. J. Hsia, "How do Slender Mineral Crystals Resist Buckling in Biological Materials," Philosophical Magazine Letters, 84:10, 631-641, 2004.
- Thiagarajan, G., Y. Huang, and K. J. Hsia, Fracture Simulations using an Elasto-viscoplastic Virtual Internal Bond Model with Finite Elements, ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 71, 796-804, 2004.
- Thiagarajan, G., K. J. Hsia, and Y. Huang, Finite Element Implementation of Virtual Internal Bond Model for Simulating Crack Behavior, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, 71:3, 401-423, 2004.
- Panat, R. and K. J. Hsia, Experimental Investigation of the Bond Coat Rumpling Instability under Isothermal and Cyclic Thermal Histories in Thermal Barrier Systems, Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A, 460, 1957-1979, 2004.
- Liu, M. and K. J. Hsia, Locking of Electric Field Induced Non-180 Domain Switching and Phase Transition in Ferroelectric Materials Upon Cyclic Electric Fatigue, Applied Physics Letters, 83:19, 3978-3980, 2003.
- Zhang, S., R. Panat, and K. J. Hsia, Influence of Surface Morphology on the Adhesive Strength of Aluminum/Epoxy Interfaces, Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology 17:12, 1685-1711, 2003.
- Zhang, S., H. T. Johnson, G. J. Wagner, W.-K. Liu, and K. J. Hsia, Stress Generation Mechanisms in Carbon Thin Films Grown by Ion-beam Deposition, Acta Materialia, 15:17, 5211-5222, 2003.
- Liu, M. and K. J. Hsia, Interfacial Cracks between Piezoelectric and Elastic Materials under In-plane Electric Loading, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 51, 921-944, 2003.
- Wang, W., Y. Huang, K. J. Hsia, K. X. Hu, C. P. Yeh, and A. Chandra, A Study of Microbend Test by Strain Gradient Plasticity, International Journal of Plasticity, 19, 365-382, 2003.
- Panat, R., S. Zhang, and K. J. Hsia, Bond Coat Surface Rumpling in Thermal Barrier Coatings, Acta Materialia, 51, 239-249, 2003.
- Saif, M. T. A., S. Zhang, A. Haque, and K. J. Hsia, Effect of Native A1203 on the Elastic Response of Nanoscale A1 Films, Acta Materialia, 50:11, 2779-2786, 2002.
- Zhang, S., K. J. Hsia, and A. J. Pearlstein, Potential Flow Model of Cavitation-induced Interfacial Fracture in a Confined Ductile Layer, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 50, 549-570, 2002.
- Boyce, M. C., T. M. Pollock, and K. J. Hsia, Preface: Special Issue Micromechanics and Micromechanisms of Deformation and Fracture: In Honor of Professor Ali S. Argon, Materials Science and Engineering A, 317:1-2, 1-2, 2001.
- Busche, M. J. and K. J. Hsia, Fracture and Domain Switching by Indentation in Barium Titanate Single Crystals, Scripta Materialia, 44, 207-212, 2001.
- Zhang, S., and K. J. Hsia, Modeling the Fracture of a Sandwich Structure Due to Cavitation in a Ductile Adhesive Layer, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 68, 93-100, 2001.
- Hsia, K. J., H. Gao, and Y.-B. Xin, On the Spacing between Dislocation Nucleation Sources at Crack Tips, Material Science and Engineering A, 317:1-2, 257-263, 2001.
- Du, T., M. Liu, S. Seghi, K. J. Hsia, J. Economy, and J. K. Shang, Piezoelectric Actuation of Crack Growth Along Polymer-metal Interfaces in Adhesive Bonds, Journal of Materials Research, 16:10, 2885-2892, 2001.
- Ferney, B. D., M. R. DeVary, K. J. Hsia, and A. Needleman, Oscillatory Crack Growth in Glass, Scripta Materialia, 41, 275-281, 1999.
- Ferney, B. D. and K. J. Hsia, The Influence of Multiple Slip Systems on the Brittle-ductile Transition in Silicon, Materials Science and Engineering A, 272, 422-430, 1999.
- Hsia, K. J., N. Dey, and D. F. Socie, High Temperature Failure Mechanisms of Ceramics under Static and Cyclic Loading, Advances in Solid Mechanics, S.-W. Yu, W. Yang, and Q.-S. Zheng, eds, Tsinghua University Press, 196-203, 1997.
- Hsia, K. J. and Y.-B. Xin, Discussion on the Comment on the Simulation of the Brittle-ductile Transition in Silicon Single Crystals using Dislocation Mechanics, Scripta Materialia, 37, 1905-1907, 1997.
- Dey, N., K. J. Hsia and D. F. Socie, The Effects of Grain Size Distribution on Cavity Nucleation and Creep Deformation in Ceramics Containing Viscous Grain Boundary Phase, Acta Materialia, 45, 4117-4129, 1997.
- Xin, Y.-B. and K. J. Hsia, Simulation of the Brittle-to-ductile Transition in Silicon Single Crystals using Dislocation Mechanics, Acta Materialia, 45, 1747-1759, 1997.
- Xu, Z.-Q. and K. J. Hsia, Numerical Solution of Surface Crack under Cyclic Hydraulic Pressure Loading, ASME Journal of Tribology, 119, 637-645, 1997.
- Hsia, K. J., T.-L. Zhang, and D. F. Socie, Effect of Crack Surface Morphology on the Fracture Behavior under Mixed Mode Loading, Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics: 27th Volume, ASTM STP 1296, R. S. Piascik, J. C. Newman, and N. E. Dowling, eds., American Society for Testing and Materials, 152-174, 1997.
- Hsia, K. J. and Z.-Q. Xu, The Mathematical Framework and an Approximate Solution of Surface Crack Propagation under Hydraulic Pressure Loading, International Journal of Fracture, 78, 363-78, 1996.
- Dey, N., D. F. Socie, and K. J. Hsia, Tensile Creep Behavior of a Vitreous-bonded Aluminum Oxide under Static and Cyclic Loading, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 79, 2353-63, 1996.
- Xin, Y.-B. and K. J. Hsia, A Technique to Generate Straight Through-thickness Surface Cracks and Its Application to Studying Dislocation Nucleation in Si, Acta Metallurgica et Materialia, 44, 845-53, 1996.
- Xin, Y.-B., K. J. Hsia, and D. Lange, Quantitative Characterization of the Fracture Surface of Si Single Crystals by Confocal Microscopy, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 78, 3201-208, 1995.
- Hsia, K. J. and Z. Xu, Effect of Hydraulic Pressure on Surface Crack Propagation, Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, 8, 604-608, 1995.
- Dey, N., D. F. Socie, and K. J. Hsia, Modeling Static and Cyclic Fatigue in Ceramics Containing a Viscous Grain Boundary Phase, Acta Metallurgica et Materialia, 43, 2163-2175, 1995.
- Hsia, K. J., Z. Suo, and W. Yang, Cleavage Due to Dislocation Confinement in Layered Materials, Journal of Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 42, 877-896, 1994.
- Barkey, M. E., D. F. Socie, and K. J. Hsia, A Yield Surface Approach to the Estimation of Notch Strains for Proportional and Nonproportional Cyclic Loading, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 116, 173-180, 1994.
- Nitzsche, V. R. and K. J. Hsia, Modeling of Dislocation Mobility Controlled Brittle-to-ductile Transition, Materials Science and Engineering A, 176, 155-164, 1994.
- Hsia, K. J., Y.-B. Xin, and L. Lin, Numerical Simulation of Semi-crystalline Nylon 6: Elastic Constants of Crystalline and Amorphous Parts, Journal of Materials Science, 29, 1601-1611, 1994.
- Hsia, K. J. and A. S. Argon, Experimental Study of Micromechanisms of Brittle-to-ductile Transition in Si Single Crystals, Materials Science and Engineering A, 176, 111-119, 1994.
- Hsia, K. J., A. S. Argon, and D. M. Parks, Dominant Creep Failure Process in Tensile Components, ASME Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology, 114, 255-264, 1992.
- Brede, M., K. J. Hsia, and A. S. Argon, Brittle Crack Propagation in Silicon Single Crystals, Journal of Applied Physics 70, 758-771, 1991.
- Hsia, K. J., D. M. Parks, and A. S. Argon, Effects of Grain Boundary Sliding in Creep-constrained Boundary Cavitation and Creep Deformation, Mechanics of Materials, 11, 43-62, 1991.
- Hsia, K. J., A. S. Argon, and D. M. Parks, Modeling of Creep Damage Evolution Around Blunt Notches and Sharp Cracks, Mechanics of Materials, 11, 19-42, 1991.
- Hsia, K. J. and X. Zhang, Interlaminar Stress Analysis in Composite Laminates, Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica, 3, 45-53, 1986.
- Hsia, K. J. and X. Zhang, A Generalized Path-independent Integral in Three-dimensional Configurations, Journal of Beijing Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, (in Chinese), 1985.
- Founding Co-President, International Society of Mechanobiology, 2011-date
- Fellow (Elected), American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2011
- Member, American Association for the Advancement of Science, AAAS
- Member, Technical Committee on Biology and Medicine in Applied Mechanics Division, ASME, 2005-present
- Served on the Board of Directors, Association of Chinese Scientists and Engineers (ACSE), Chicago, IL, 1997-98
- Founding President, Champaign-Urbana Chapter of Association of Chinese Scientists and Engineers (ACSE) in the United States, 1997-99
- Member, Society of Experimental Mechanics
- Member, TMS Committee on Mechanical Properties of Materials
- Member, Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, TMS Committee on Mechanical Properties of Materials
- Member, American Academy of Mechanics
- Member, American Ceramic Society
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2009
Service to Federal and State Government
- Organizing Committee, NSF Workshop on Mechanics in Biology and Medicine, Dec 2007 May 2008
Other Outside Service
- Boston University, Boston, MA, 2005
- Principal Organizer of GEM4 Summer School on Cellular and Molecular Mechanics to be held at Caltech, UIUC, UT-Austin, GaTech and MIT, 2008-2012
- Recipient of the Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, UIUC, 2004
- Recipient of the Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, UIUC, 2002
- Developed Moire Interferrometry Experiment for TAM326 with Nancy Sottos, 1995
- Elected Fellow of American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2011
- Elected Fellow of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2009
- Associate Director of NSF Science and Technology Center on Emergent Behaviors of Integrated Cellular Systems (EBICS), 2010-date
- Developed a technique of capillary force-driven self-assembly of 3D photovoltaic device from thin films, resulting in a cover article paper published in PNAS
- Invited to contribute to an entry on Brittle-to-Ductile Transition in Encyclopedia of Tribology, 2009
- Invited to contribute to the McGraw Hill 2009 Yearbook of Science and Technology
- A paper co-authored with student Rahul Panat, presented by Panat at the Materials Research Society Fall Meeting in Boston MA, December, 2002, received the gold medal for best research
- Selected from the College of Engineering at UIUC to be on an experts list, 2003
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) Fellowship, 1999
- Max Planck Society Scholarship, 1998
- National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, 1992
Public Service Honors
- Director, Global Enterprise for Micromechanics and Molecular Medicine (GEM4), 2010-date
- Coordinator of the Cellular and Biomelecular Engineering proposal solicitation of the Office of Emerging Frontiers in Research and Innovation in Engineering Directorate at NSF, 2006
- Founding Program Director of Nano and Bio Mechanics program at NSF, 2005-2007
- Strathmores Whos Who in Science and Engineering, 2007