Rosa M. Espinosa Marzal
Primary Research Area
- Environmental Engineering and Science
- PhD. (Engineering/Materials) Hamburg University of Technology (Germany), 2004.
- BEng. (Mechanical Engineering) Universidad Politecnica de Valencia (Spain), 1997.
Rosa Espinosa-Marzal holds a BEng. Degree in Mechanical Engineering (Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Spain), and a Ph.D. in engineering/materials (Hamburg University of Technology, Germany, 2004). Dr. Espinosa-Marzal joined the faculty of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as Associate Professor in September 2013, where she is involved in research and teaching in several areas of surface science, materials and technology. Prior to joining Illinois, Dr. Espinosa-Marzal was a Senior Scientist in the Materials Science Department at ETH Zurich (Switzerland), and a research fellow at Princeton University. Dr. Espinosa-Marzal is the recipient of a research grant to promote highly qualified young researchers awarded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), and of a DAAD fellowship (German Academic Exchange Service) for her graduate studies. In 2016, Dr. Espinosa-Marzal was appointed CAS Associate (Center for Advanced Study) at the University of Illinois.
- CAS Associate, Center for Advanced Study, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Since 08/2016.
- NCSA Fellow, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. Since 08/2014.
- Associate Professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Civil and Environmental Engineering. Since 09/2013.
- Senior Scientist, ETH Zurich (Switzerland). Materials Science, Surface Science and Technology. 2009-2013.
- Research Fellow, Princeton University (USA). Princeton Institute for the Science and Technology of Materials. 2007-2009.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Hamburg University of Technology (Germany). Institute of Materials, Physics and Chemistry of Buildings. 2005-2007
For more information
Motivated by the global challenges of water, energy and health, Dr. Espinosa-Marzals research group aims to understand the behavior of (1) solid-liquid interfaces at a molecular or nano-scale, and (2) the confinement of fluid films and soft matter. The ultimate goal is to comprehend how to exploit intermolecular interactions to tailor macroscopic properties. The research targets to answer fundamental and scientifically relevant questions and to solve problems relevant to diverse applications including tribology, energy storage, tissue engineering, water nanofiltration, separation techniques, and nanomaterials.
Current research activities include:
*Nanoconfinement of fluid films (structure and rheological behavior)
*Molecular Lubrication Mechanisms (e.g. polymer brushes, surfactants, hydrogels and biointerfaces)
*The diffuse and Stern layer of electrolytes
*Mechano-chemical and physico-chemical processes at the mineral-solution interface
- The diffuse and Stern layer of electrolytes (aqueous solutions, ionic liquids)
- Mechano-chemical and physico-chemical processes at the mineral-solution interface
- Nanoconfinement of fluid films (structure and rheological behavior)
- Molecular Lubrication Mechanisms (e.g. polymer brushes, surfactants, hydrogels and biointerfaces)
- Interfacial Forces and Tribology
- Interfaces, Confinement, and Soft Matter
Selected Articles in Journals
- Yijue Diao, Mengwei Han, Josue A. Lopez Berganza, Lauren Valentino, Benito Marinas and Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Reconciling DLVO and non-DLVO forces and their implications for ion rejection by a polyamide membrane, Langmuir, DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b02306 (2017).
- Tooba Shoaib, Ariel Carmichael, R. E. Corman, Yun Shen, Helen Nguyen, Randy H. Ewoldt, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Self-Adaptive Hydrogels to Mineralization, DOI: 10.1039/C7SM01058C, Soft Matter (2017).
- Zita Zachariah, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal, Manfred Heuberger. Ion specific hydration in Nano-confined Electrical Double Layers, Journal of Colloid & Interface Science, DOI: 10.1016/j.jcis.2017.07.039 (2017).
- Manfred Heuberger, Zita Zachariah, Nicholas D. Spencer, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Collective Dehydration of Ions in Nano-Pores, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, DOI: 10.1039/C7CP01439B (2017).
- L. Andres Jurado, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Molecular Insight into the Electrical Double Layer of Graphene, Scientific Reports 7, (2017).
- Tooba Shoaib, Prathima C. Nalam, Yichen He, Yuting Chen, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Assembly, morphology, diffusivity and indentation of hydrogel-supported lipid bilayers, Langmuir, (2017), DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.7b01062.
- Mengwei Han, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Strong Stretching of Poly(Ethylene Glycol) Brushes Mediated by Ionic Liquid Solvation. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters (2017), DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b01451.
- Manjesh K. Singh, Patrick Ilg, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal, Martin Kr, Nicholas D. Spencer. Molecular-Dynamics Simulation of the Effect of Crosslinking on the Tribological Behavior of Polymer Brushes. Tribology Letters, 63:17, 1-9, 2016.
- Manjesh K. Singh, Patrick Ilg, Rosa Maria Espinosa-Marzal, Nicholas D. Spencer, Martin Kr, Influence of Chain Stiffness, Grafting Density, and Normal Load on Tribological and Structural Behavior of Polymer Brushes: a Nonequilibrium Molecular Dynamics Study. Po Polymers 8 (7), 254-272.
- Andres Jurado, Hojun Kim, Antonella Rossi, Andrea Arcifa, Jonathon K. Schuh, Nicholas D. Spencer, Cecilia Leal, Randy H. Ewoldt, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Effect of the environmental humidity on the bulk, interfacial and nanoconfined properties of an ionic liquid. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 18 (32), 22719-22730, 2016.
- Zita Zachariah, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal, Nicholas D. Spencer, Manfred Heuberger. Stepwise collapse of highly overlapping Electrical Double Layers. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 18, 24417-24427, 2016.
- Yijue Diao, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal, Molecular Insight into the Nanoconfined Calcite-Solution Interface. Proceedings National Academy of Sciences, 113(43), 12047-12052, 2016
- Josue Lopez-Berganza, Rosa M. Espinosa-Marzal. Mechanistic approach to predict the combined effects of additives and surface templates on calcium carbonate mineralization. ACS Crystal Growth&Design, 16 (11), 61866198, 2016
- Arcifa, A.; Rossi, A.; Espinosa-Marzal, R. M.; Spencer, N. D., Influence of Environmental Humidity on the Wear and Friction of a Silica/Silicon Tribopair Lubricated with a Hydrophilic Ionic Liquid. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 8(5), (2016) 2961-2973.
- Shen, Y.; Huang, C.; Monroy, G. L.; Janjaroen, D.; Derlon, N.; Lin, J.; Espinosa-Marzal, R.; Morgenroth, E.; Boppart, S. A.; Ashbolt, N. J.; Liu, W.-T.; Nguyen, T. H., Response of Simulated Drinking Water Biofilm Mechanical and Structural Properties to Long-Term Disinfectant Exposure. Environ Sci Technol 50 (2016) 1779-1787.
- Sheehan, A.; Jurado, L. A.; Ramakrishna, S. N.; Arcifa, A.; Rossi, A.; Spencer, N. D.; Espinosa-Marzal, R. M., Layering of Ionic Liquids on Rough Surfaces. Nanoscale 8 (2016) 4094-106.
- Lopez-Berganza, J. A.; Diao, Y. J.; Pamidighantam, S.; Espinosa-Marzal, R. M., Ab Initio Studies of Calcium Carbonate Hydration. J Phys Chem A 119(2015) 11591-11600.
- Jurado, L. A.; Kim, H.; Arcifa, A.; Rossi, A.; Leal, C.; Spencer, N. D.; Espinosa-Marzal, R. M., Irreversible Structural Change of a Dry Ionic Liquid under Nanoconfinement. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 17 (2015) 13613-13624.
- Singh, M. K.; Ilg, P.; Espinosa-Marzal, R. M.; Kröger, M.; Spencer, N. D., Polymer Brushes under Shear: Molecular Dynamics Simulations Compared to Experiments. Langmuir 31 (2015), 4798-4805.
- Arcifa, A.; Rossi, A.; Espinosa-Marzal, R. M.; Spencer, N. D., Environmental Influence on the Surface Chemistry of Ionic-Liquid-Mediated Lubrication in a Silica/Silicon Tribopair. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118 (2014) 29389-29400.
- R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, A. Arcifa, A. Rossi and N. D. Spencer. Ionic Liquids Confined in Hydrophilic Nanocontacts: Structure and Lubricity in the Presence of Water. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118 (2014) 64916503
- R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, A. Arcifa, A. Rossi and N. D. Spencer. Micro-slips to "avalanches" in confined, molecular layers of ionic liquids. Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 5 (2014) 179-184.
- S. N. Ramakrishna, R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, V. V. Naik, P. C. Nalam, N. D. Spencer. Adhesion and Friction Properties of Polymer Brushes Coated on Rough Surfaces: A Gradient Approach. Langmuir 29 (2013) 1525115259.
- D. A. Beattie, R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, T. T.M. Ho, M. N. Popescu, J. Ralston, C. J. E. Richard, P. M. F. Sellapperumage, M. Krasowska. Molecularly-thin precursor films of imidazolium-based ionic liquids on mica, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 17 (2013) 2367623684.
- R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, R. Bielecki, N. D. Spencer. Understanding the role of viscous solvent confinement in the tribological behavior of polymer brushes: a bioinspired approach. Soft Matter 9 (2013) 10572-10585.
- P. C. Nalam, S. N. Ramakrishna, R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, N. D. Spencer. Exploring lubrication regimes at the nano-scale: Nano-tribological characterization of silica and polymer brushes in viscous solvents. Langmuir 29 (2013) 10149-10158.
- R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, G. Fontani, F. B. Reusch, M. Roba, N. D. Spencer, R. Crockett. Sugars communicate through water: oriented glycans induce water structuring, Biophysical Journal 104 (2013) 2686-2694.
- R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, P. C Nalam, S. Bolisetty, N. D. Spencer. Impact of solvation on equilibrium conformation of polymer brushes in solvent mixtures. Soft Matter 9 (2013) 4045-4057.
- P. C. Nalam, L. Daikhin, R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, J. Clasohm, M. Urbakh and N. D. Spencer. Two-fluid model for the interpretation of quartz-crystal microbalance response: Tuning polymer brushes with solvent mixtures. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 117 (2013) 45334543.
- A. Li, S. N. Ramakrishna, E. S. Kooij, R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, N. D. Spencer. Poly(acrylamide) Films at the Solvent-Induced Glass Transition: Adhesion, Tribology, and the Influence of Crosslinking. Soft Matter 8 (2012) 9092-9100.
- S. Chodankar, E. Perret, K. Nygard, O. Bunk, D. K. Satapathy, R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, T. E. Balmer, M. Heuberger, J. F. van der Veen, Density profile of water in nanoslit, Europhysics Letters 99 (2012) 26001-26007.
- R. M. Espinosa-Marzal, T. Drobek, T. Balmer, M. Heuberger. Hydrated ion correlations of interpenetrating electrical double layers, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 14 (2012) 6085-6093.
- R.M. Espinosa-Marzal, G.W. Scherer. Advances in understanding damage by crystallization: discrete and continuum approaches. Accounts for Chemical Research 43 (2010) 897905.
- Membership Secretary for ACS Division of Colloid and Surface Chemistry, elected 2016 and 2017.
- Member of American Chemical Society since 2013
- CEE Excellence Faculty Scholar (03/2016)
- NCSA Fellow (08/2014)
- Teaching Excellence (09/2015)
- CAS Associate (01/2016)
- DFG Early Career Support (09/2007)
- DAAD Fellowship (10/1997)