Primary Research Area
- Solid Mechanics
- Ph.D., Applied Physics, Harvard University, 2011
- M.A., Physics, Harvard University, 2007
- M.Eng., Materials Engineering, Yonsei University, 2005
- B.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Seoul National University, 2002
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, UIUC, August 16, 2012-date
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, UIUC, September, 2013-date
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of California, Berkeley, 2011-2012
- Graduate Student Researcher & Postdoctoral Research Associate, Harvard University, 2005-2011
For more information
Other Professional Employment
- Research Associate, ILJIN Nanotech Co. Ltd., Seoul, Korea, 2002-2005
Dr. SungWoo Nams research program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) pursues innovations in controlled deformation (i.e., architecturing) of atomically-thin, two-dimensional (2D) materials to explore how unique shapes of atomically-thin materials enable new functionalities. In particular, his research group studies mechanical self-assembly of folded and crumpled graphene and two-dimensional materials for strain-tolerant and flexible/stretchable forms of sensors for biotic and abiotic investigations.
- Applied Physics
- Health and Bio
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics
Chapters in Books
- Wang, M.C., J. Choi, J. Bang, S. Chun, B. Smith, and S. Nam, (2015) Monolithic Graphene-Graphite Integrated Electronics. In E.S.W. Kong (Ed.), Nanomaterials, Polymers and Devices: Materials Functionalization and Device Fabrication (Chapter 18). Wiley (ISBN: 978-0-470-04806-1).
Selected Articles in Journals
- Wang, M.C., W. Moestopo, S. Takekuma, S. Barna, R. Haasch, and S. Nam, "A Sustainable Approach to Large Area Transfer of Graphene and Recycling of the Copper Substrate," Journal of Materials Chemistry C 5, 11226 (2017).
- Yun, Y.J., J. Ju, J.H. Lee, S.-H. Moon, S.-J. Park, Y.H. Kim, W.G. Hong, D.H. Ha, H. Jang, G.H. Lee, H.-M. Chung, J. Choi, S. Nam, S.-H. Lee, and Y. Jun, "Highly Elastic Graphene-based Electronics Toward Electronic Skin," Advanced Functional Materials 1701513 (2017).
- Kwon, S.S., J.H. Shin, J. Choi, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Nanotube-on-Graphene Heterostructures for Three-dimensional Nano/Bio-Interface," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 254, 16 (2018).
- Rosenberger, M., M.C. Wang, X. Xie, J. Rogers, S. Nam, and W. King, "Measuring Individual Carbon Nanotubes and Single Graphene Sheets using Atomic Force Microscope Infrared Spectroscopy," Nanotechnology 28, 355707 (2017).
- Kwon, S.S., J.H. Shin, J. Choi, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Defect Mediated Molecular Interaction and Charge Transfer in Graphene Mesh Glucose Sensors," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9, 14216 (2017).
- Wang, M.C., J. Leem, P. Kang, J. Choi, P. Knapp, K. Yong, and S. Nam, "Mechanical Instability Driven Self-assembly and Architecturing of 2D Materials," 2D Materials 4, 022002 (2017).
- Choi, J., J. Mun, M.C. Wang, A. Ashraf, S.-W. Kang, and S. Nam, "Hierarchical, Dual Scale Structures of Atomically-thin MoS2 for Tunable Wetting," Nano Letters 17, 1756 (2017).
- Kim, M., P. Kang, J. Leem, and S. Nam, "Stretchable Crumpled Graphene Photodetector with Plasmonically-enhanced Photoresponsivity," Nanoscale 9, 4058 (2017).
- Ashraf, A., Y. Wu, M.C. Wang, K. Yong, T. Sun, Y. Jing, R.T. Haasch, N.R. Aluru, and S. Nam, "Doping-Induced Tunable Wettability and Adhesion of Graphene," Nano Letters 16, 4708 (2016).
- Ashraf, A., H. Salih, S. Nam, and S.A. Dastgheib, "Robust Carbon Nanotube Membranes Directly Grown on Hastelloy Substrates and Their Potential Application for Membrane Distillation," Carbon 106, 243 (2016).
- Yong, K., A. Ashraf, P. Kang, and S. Nam, "Rapid Stencil Mask Fabrication Enabled One-Step Polymer-Free Graphene Patterning and Dry Transfer for Flexible Graphene Devices," Scientific Reports 6, 24890 (2016).
- Kang, P., M.C. Wang, P.M. Knapp, and S. Nam, "Crumpled Graphene Photodetector with Enhanced, Strain-tunable and Wavelength-selective Photoresponsivity," Advanced Materials 28, 4639 (2016).
- Kang, P., M.C. Wang, and S. Nam, "Bioelectronics with Two-dimensional Materials," Microelectronic Engineering 161, 18 (2016).
- Kwon, S., J. Yi, W. Lee, J. Shin, S. Kim, S. Cho, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Reversible and Irreversible Responses of Defect-engineered Graphene-based Electrolyte-gated pH Sensors," ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 8, 834 (2016).
- Leem, J., M.C. Wang, P. Kang, and S. Nam, "Mechanically Self-assembled, Three-dimensional Graphene-Gold Hybrid Nanostructures for Advanced Nanoplasmonic Sensors," Nano Letters 15, 7684 (2015).
- Yi, J., S. Kim, W. Lee, S. Kwon, S. Nam, and W. Park, "Graphene Meshes Decorated with Palladium Nanoparticles for Hydrogen Detection," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 48, 475103 (2015).
- Choi, J., H. Kim, M.C. Wang, J. Leem, W. King, and S. Nam, "Three-Dimensional Integration of Graphene via Swelling, Shrinking, and Adaptation," Nano Letters 15, 4525 (2015).
- Kim, H.J., J. Choi, S. Nam, and W. King, "Batch Fabrication of Transfer-Free Graphene-Coated Micocantilevers," IEEE Sensors Journal 15, 2717 (2015).
- Wang, M. C., S. Chun, R. Han, A. Ashraf, P. Kang, and S. Nam, "Heterogeneous, Three-dimensional Texturing of Graphene," Nano Letters 15, 1829 (2015).
- Ashraf, A., Y. Wu, M.C. Wang, N. Aluru, S. Dastgheib, and S. Nam, "Spectroscopic Investigation of the Wettability of Multilayer Graphene using Highly Ordered Pyrolytic Graphite as a Model Material," Langmuir 30, 12827, 2014.
- Nam, S., I. Choi, C. Fu, K. Kim, S. Hong, Y. Choi, A. Zettl, and L.P. Lee, "Graphene Nanopore with a Self-Integrated Optical Antenna," Nano Letters 14, 5584, 2014.
- Bang, J., J. Choi, F. Xia, S.S. Kwon, A. Ashraf, W. Park, and S. Nam, "Assembly and Densification of Nanowire Arrays via Shrinkage," Nano Letters 14, 3304, 2014.
- Choi, J., M.C. Wang, R.Y. S. Cha, W. Park, and S. Nam, "Graphene Bioelectronics," Biomedical Engineering Letters 3, 201, 2013.
- Lee, M.-S., K. Lee, S.-Y. Kim, H. Lee, J. Park, K.-H. Choi, H.-K. Kim, D.-G. Kim, D.-Y. Lee, S. Nam, and J.-U. Park, High-Performance, Transparent and Stretchable Electrodes using Graphene-Metal Nanowire Hybrid Structures, Nano Letters 13, 2814, 2013.
- Park, J.-U., S. Nam, M.-S. Lee, and C.M. Lieber, Synthesis of Monolithic Graphene-Graphite Integrated Electronics, Nature Materials 11, 120, 2012.
- Yan, H., H. Choe, S. Nam, Y. Hu, S. Das, J.F. Klemic, J.C. Ellenbogen, and C.M. Lieber, Programmable Nanowire Circuits for Nanoprocessors, Nature 470, 240, 2011.
- Nam, S., X. Jiang, Q. Xiong, D. Ham, and C.M. Lieber, Vertically Integrated, Three-Dimensional Nanowire Complementary Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Circuits, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106, 21035, 2009.
- Jiang, X., Q. Xiong, S. Nam, F. Qian, Y. Li, and C.M. Lieber, InAs/InP Radial Nanowire Heterostructures as High Electron Mobility Devices, Nano Letters 7, 3214, 2007.
- Javey, A., S. Nam, R.S. Friedman, H. Yan, and C.M. Lieber, Layer-by-Layer Assembly of Nanowires for Three-Dimensional, Multi-functional Electronics, Nano Letters 7, 773, 2007.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Chun, S., J. Choi, A. Ashraf, and S. Nam, "Three-Dimensional, Flexible Graphene Bioelectronics," Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), 2014.
- Nam, S., S. Chun, and J. Choi, "All-Carbon Graphene Bioelectronics," Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), 2013.
- Nam, S., M. Lee, and J.-U. Park, "Monolithic Graphene Transistor Biointerfaces," Proceedings of IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Conference (EMBC), 2012.
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2013-Present
- Member, Biophysical Society, 2013-Present
- Member, Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), 2013-Present
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2013-Present
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS), 2008-Present
- List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent by Their Students, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising, 2013, 2015 & 2017
- Provost's Initiative on Teaching Advancement (PITA) Award, 2013
- List of Teachers Ranked as Outstanding by Their Students (Top 10%), 2013
- Certificate of Distinction in Teaching, Harvard University, 2009
- TMS 2018 Early Career Faculty Fellow Award, 2018
- Hanwha Advanced Materials Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 2017
- Office of Naval Research (ONR) Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, 2017
- Dean's Award for Excellence in Research, College of Engineering, 2017
- Arab-American Frontiers Fellowship, U.S. National Academy of Sciences, 2017
- Poster Award, ASME IMECE 2016 Micro & Nano Technology Forum, 2016
- Invited Participant, 2016 Arab-American Frontiers of Science, Engineering, and Medicine Symposium, U.S. National Academy of Sciences, 2016
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Early Career Faculty (ECF) Award, 2016
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) Young Investigator Research Program (YIP) Award, 2016
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development Program (CAREER) Award, 2016
- Poster Award, ASME IMECE 2015 Micro & Nano Technology Forum, 2015
- IEEE EMBS Micro and Nanotechnology in Medicine Conference New Innovators Lectureship, 2014
- Young Investigator Award, Korean-American Scientists and Engineers Association (KSEA), 2014
- Doctoral New Investigator Award, American Chemical Society (ACS) Petroleum Research Fund (PRF), 2013
- Gold Award, Materials Research Society (MRS), 2011
- Outstanding Student Designer Award at ISSCC, Analog Devices, 2010
- GSAS Merit Fellowship, Harvard University, 2009
- The Samsung Scholarship, Samsung Foundation of Culture, 2005
- Humantec Award, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., 2002
- Summa Cum Laude with the Valedictorian Prize, Seoul National University, 2002