- Ph.D. ME University of Michigan 2012
- M.S. ME Cairo University, Egypt 2007
- B.M.E. Cairo University, Egypt 2003
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Science and Engineering, University of Illinois, August 2013 - date
- Postdoctoral Associate, Laboratory for Manufacturing and Productivity, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, January 2013 - August 2013
For more information
- Solid Mechanics and Materials
- Nanomechanics and Nanomanufacturing
- Applied Physics
- Security and Defense
- Solid Mechanics
Chapters in Books
Selected Articles in Journals
- Zhang, K., M. Poss, P. Chen and S. Tawfick "Strengthening Nickel by In Situ Graphene Synthesis" Advanced Engineering Materials 19 (12) 2017.
- Pagano, A., T. Yan, B. Chien, A. Wissa and S. Tawfick A crawling robot driven by multi-stable origami Smart Materials and Structures 26 (9), 2017.
- Bunyan J. and S. Tawfick Mechanical Behavior of PDMS at Low Pressure Materials Research Express vol. 4 (7) 2017.
- Nayakanti, N., S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart Deployable Multi-Stable Structures from Twist-Coupled Kirigami in press in Extreme Mechanics Letters 2017.
- Liang, Y., D. Sias, and S. Tawfick, "Tough Nano-Architectured Conductive Textile by Capillary Splicing of Carbon Nanotubes, Advanced Engineering Materials 19 (7) 2017.
- Li, J., M. Bedewy, A. Orbaek White, E. Polsen, S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart, "Highly Consistent Atmospheric Pressure Synthesis of Carbon Nanotube Forests by Mitigation of Moisture Transients," The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 120 (20) 2016.
- Rao, A., S. Tawfick, B. Bedewy, and A.J. Hart, "Morphology-Dependent Load Transfer Governs The Strength and Failure Mechanism of Carbon Nanotube Yarns," Extreme Mechanics Letters 9 (1) 2016.
- Zhang, K., K. Han, S. Shi, G. Bahl, and S. Tawfick, "Highly Stretchable Conductors Made by Laser Draw-Casting of Ultralong Metal Nanowires," Advanced Electronic Materials 2 (6) 2016.
- Lee, K. and S. Tawfick, "Micro-architectured electro- elasto- kinematic muscles," accepted in Extreme Mechanics Letters 8:64-69, 2016.
- Tawfick, S.,J. Bico. and S. Barcelo, "Three-dimensional lithography by elasto-capillary engineering of filamentary materials," MRS Bulletin, 41 (2) 2016.
- Bunyan, J., A.F. Vakakis, and S. Tawfick, "Mechanisms for impulsive energy dissipation and small-scale effects in microgranular media," Physical Review E 92 (6), 062206, 2015.
- Li, S., W. Hua, M. Liang, M. Tuo, S. Tawfick, A.J. Hart, Q. Zhu, and H. Xin, "Anisotropic Microwave Conductivity Dispersion of Horizontally Aligned Multi-Walled Carbon- Nanotube Thin Film on Flexible Substrate," in Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on, vol.63, no.11, pp.3588-3594, 2015.
- Park, S., A. Schmidt, S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart "Precise control of elastocapillary densification of nanostructures via low-pressure condensation," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering, 24 (6): 065019, 2014.
- Brieland-Shoultz, A.*, S. Tawfick*, S. Park, M. Bedewy, M. Maschmann, J.W. Baur, and A.J. Hart Scaling the stiffness, strength and toughness of ceramic coated nanotube foams into the structural regime, Advanced Functional Materials, 24 (36): 57285735, 2014. * equal contribution.
- De Volder, M., S. Park, S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart, Strain-engineered manufacturing of freeform carbon nanotube microstructures, Nature Communications 5: 4512, 2014.
- Ok, J.G., J. Lee, H. Baac, S. Tawfick, L.J. Guo, and A.J. Hart, "Rapid anisotropic photoconductive response of ZnO-coated aligned carbon nanotube sheets," ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 6(2):874-881, 2014.
- Maschmann, M., G.J. Ehlert, S. Tawfick, A.J. Hart, and J.W. Baur, "Continuum analysis of carbon nanotube array buckling enabled by anisotropic elastic measurements and modeling," Carbon, 66:377-386, 2014.
- Oliver, C.R., E.S. Polsen, E.R. Meshot, S. Tawfick, S.J. Park, M. Bedewy, and A.J. Hart, A statistical analysis of variation in laboratory growth of carbon nanotube forests and recommendations for improvement of process consistency, ACS Nano 7(4):35653580, 2013.
- Tawfick, S., Z. Zhao, M. Maschmann, A. Brieland-Schultz, M. De Volder, J.W. Baur, W. Lu, and A. J. Hart, "Mechanics of capillary forming of carbon nanotubes," Langmuir 29 (17): 5190:5198, 2013.
- De Volder, M., S. Tawfick, R. Baughman, and A. J. Hart, Carbon nanotubes present and future commercial applications, Science 339:535-589, 2013.
- Meshot, E.R., E.A. Verploegen, M. Bedewy, S. Tawfick, A.R. Woll, K.S. Green, M. Hromalik, L.J. Koerner, H.T. Philipp, M.W. Tate, S.M. Gruner, and A.J. Hart, High-speed in situ X-ray scattering of carbon nanotube film nucleation and self-organization, ACS Nano, 6 (6), pp 50915101, 2012.
- Tawfick, S., M. De Volder, D. Copic, S. Park, E. Polsen, R. Oliver, M. Robert, and A.J. Hart, Engineering micro- and nanostructured surfaces with anositropic properties, Advanced Materials, 24 (13): 16281674 2012.
- Tawfick, S., M. De Volder, and A.J. Hart, Capillary Bending of Janus Carbon Nanotube Micropillars, Nanoscale, 4: 3852-3856, 2012.
- Tawfick, S., M. De Volder, and A.J. Hart, Structurally programmed folding of vertical nanostructures, Langmuir, 27 (10): 63896394, 2011.
- Zhao, Z., S. Tawfick, S.J. Park, M. De Volder, A.J. Hart, W. Lu, Formation of asymmetric filament assemblies by elastocapillary densification, Physical Review E 82:041605, 2010.
- De Volder, M.*, S. Tawfick*, S. Park, D. Copic, Z. Zhao, W. Lu, and A.J. Hart, Diverse 3D microarchitectures made by capillary forming of carbon nanotubes, Advanced Materials 22:4384-4389, 2010 (*equal contribution).
- Tawfick, S., X. Deng, A.J. Hart, and J. Lahann, Nanocomposite Microstructures with Controllable Mechanical and Chemical Properties, Physical Chemistry and Chemical Physics, 12:4446-4451, 2010.
- De Volder, M., D.O. Vidaud, E.R. Meshot, S. Tawfick, and A.J. Hart, "Self-similar organization of arrays of individual carbon nanotubes and carbon nanotube micropillars," Microelectronic Engineering 87(5-8):1233-1238, 2010.
- Tawfick, S., K. OBrien, and A.J. Hart, Flexible High Conductivity Carbon Nanotube Interconnects Made by Rolling and Printing, Small, 5 (21), pp 2467-2473, 2009.
- Meshot, E.R., D.L. Plata, S. Tawfick, Y. Zhang, E. Verploegen, and A.J. Hart, Engineering Vertically Aligned Carbon Nanotube Growth by Decoupled Thermal Treatment of Precursor and Catalyst, ACS Nano, 3 (9), pp 24772486, 2009.
- ASM International, 2015 - 2017
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2015 - date
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, member, 2004 - date
- Materials Research Society, member, 2008 - date
- American Physical Society, member, 2009 - date
- Chao and Trigger Young Manufacturing Engineer (2017)
- Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award (2016)
- Best Poster Award 10th USA-Korea Nanotechnology Forum (2013)
- Rackham Predoctoral Fellowship (2011)
- The Ivor K. McIvor Award for Outstanding Research in Applied Mechanics (2011)
- Azarkhin Scholarship for Outstanding Research in Applied Mechanics (2010)
- Robert M. Caddell Memorial Award for Outstanding Manufacturing Research
- Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising (2016, 2017)
- Teachers Ranked Excellent by Their Students (Spring 2015, Spring 2017)