Primary Research Area
- Nanoscale Science and Technology
- PhD, Applied Science and Technology, University of California, Berkeley (2015)
- BS, Physics, Nankai University (2010)
Dr. Zhang will start as an assistant professor in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign from January 2019. He is currently a Beckman Fellow at UIUC (2015-2018), performing research in the Materials Research Laboratory (MRL). He holds a B.S. in Physics from Nankai University (2010) and Ph.D. in Applied Science and Technology from the University of California, Berkeley (2015). His Ph.D. research was focused on the defect mechanism and optoelectronic functionalities in colloidal quantum dot-based materials. At UIUC, Dr. Zhang has been working on experimental realization of emergent quantum effects and topological spintronic properties of two dimensional heterostructures. He received the Dorothy M. and Earl S. Hoffman Scholarship from American Vacuum Society in 2014, the Graduate Student Award from the Materials Research Society in 2015, and the Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad in 2015.
- Assistant Professor, Materials Science and Engineering, UIUC (2019 - )
- Faculty Affiliate, Materials Research Laboratory, UIUC (2019 -)
For more information
The Zhang group explores the structure-property relationship of electronic materials at the nano and meso-scale, with the goal of: 1) understanding the fundamental quantum behavior of materials, such as surface/interface states, electron correlation, and magnetism; 2) bringing solutions to the society, in areas of information technology, energy harvesting, and healthcare.
Our research is highly interdisciplinary, spanning over areas of condensed matter physics, materials chemistry, and electrical engineering.
- Electronic Materials and Devices
- Quantum Materials
Selected Articles in Journals
- Joseph Sklenar*, Yingjie Zhang*, Benjamin Jungfleisch, Axel Hoffmann, Peter Schiffer, Nadya Mason, Surface state magnetoresistance in proximity magnetized topological insulators, Physical Review Letters, under review (2018).
- Yingjie Zhang, Youngseok Kim, Matthew J Gilbert, Nadya Mason, Electronic transport in a two-dimensional superlattice engineered via self-assembled nanostructures, Preprint: arXiv:1703.05689
- Yingjie Zhang, Mohammad Heiranian, Blanka Janicek, Zoe Budrikis, Stefano Zapperi, Pinshane Y. Huang, Harley T. Johnson, Narayana R. Aluru, Joseph W. Lyding, Nadya Mason, Strain modulation of graphene by nanoscale substrate curvatures: a molecular view, Nano Letters 18, 20982104 (2018).
- Nicholas J. Borys, Edward S. Barnard, Shiyuan Gao, Kaiyuan Yao, Wei Bao, Alexander Buyanin, Yingjie Zhang, Sefaattin Tongay, Changhyun Ko, Joonki Suh, Alexander Weber-Bargioni, Junqiao Wu, Li Yang, P. James Schuck, Anomalous above-gap photoexcitations and optical signatures of localized charge puddles in monolayer molybdenum disulfide, ACS Nano 11, 21152123 (2017).
- Yingjie Zhang, Daniel J. Hellebusch, Noah D. Bronstein, Changhyun Ko, D. Frank Ogletree, Miquel Salmeron, A. Paul Alivisatos, Ultrasensitive photodetectors exploiting electrostatic trapping and percolation transport, Nature Communications 7, 11924 (2016).
- Miguel MuRojo*, Yingjie Zhang*, Cristina V. Manzano, Raquel Alvaro, Johannes Gooth, Miquel Salmeron, Marisol S. Martin-Gonzalez, Spatial potential ripples of azimuthal surface modes in topological insulator Bi2Te3 nanowires, Scientific Reports 6, 19014 (2016).
- Olivier Pluchery, Louis Caillard, Anna Rynder, Frans Rochet, Yingjie Zhang, Miquel Salmeron and Yves J. Chabal, Single charge electronics with gold nanoparticles and organic monolayers, MRS Proceedings 1817, imrc2015abs032 (2016).
- Olivier Pluchery, Yingjie Zhang, Rabah Benbalagh, Louis Caillard, Jean-Jacques Gallet, Fabrice Bournel, Anne-Fcie Lamic-Humblot, Miquel Salmeron, Yves J. Chabal, Frans Rochet, Static and dynamic electronic characterization of organic monolayers grafted on a silicon surface, Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 18, 36753684 (2016).
- Yingjie Zhang, Danylo Zherebetskyy, Noah D. Bronstein, Sara Barja, Leonid Lichtenstein, A. Paul Alivisatos, Lin-Wang Wang, Miquel Salmeron, Molecular oxygen induced in-gap states in PbS quantum dots, ACS Nano 9, 1044510452 (2015).
- Yingjie Zhang, Qian Chen, A. Paul Alivisatos, Miquel Salmeron, Dynamic charge carrier trapping in quantum dot field effect transistors, Nano Letters 15, 46574663 (2015).
- Yingjie Zhang, Danylo Zherebetskyy, Noah D. Bronstein, Sara Barja, Leonid Lichtenstein, David Schuppisser, Lin-Wang Wang, A. Paul Alivisatos, Miquel Salmeron, Charge percolation pathways guided by defects in quantum dot solids, Nano Letters 15, 32493253 (2015).
- Yingjie Zhang, Olivier Pluchery, Louis Caillard, Suchinda Sattayaporn, Anne-Fcie Lamic-Humblot, Sandra Casale, Yves Chabal, Miquel Salmeron, Sensing the charge state of single gold nanoparticles via work function measurements, Nano Letters 15, 5155 (2015).
- Wei Bao, Nicholas J. Borys, Changhyun Ko, Joonki Suh, Wen Fan, Andrew Thron, Yingjie Zhang, Alexander Buyanin, Jie Zhang, Stefano Cabrini, Paul D. Ashby, Alexander Weber-Bargioni, Sefaattin Tongay, Shaul Aloni, D. Frank Ogletree, Junqiao Wu, Miquel B. Salmeron, P. James Schuck, Visualizing nanoscale excitonic relaxation properties of disordered edges and grain boundaries in monolayer molybdenum disulfide, Nature Communications 6, 7993 (2015).
- Danylo Zherebetskyy, Yingjie Zhang, Miquel Salmeron, Lin-Wang Wang, Tolerance of intrinsic defects in PbS quantum dots, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 6, 47114716 (2015).
- Danylo Zherebetskyy, Marcus Scheele, Yingjie Zhang, Christopher Thompson, Noah Bronstein, David Britt, Miquel Salmeron, A. Paul Alivisatos, Lin-Wang Wang, Hydroxylation of the surface of PbS nanocrystals passivated with oleic acid, Science 344, 13801384 (2014).
- Yingjie Zhang, Dominik Ziegler, Miquel Salmeron, Charge trapping states at the SiO2-oligothiophene monolayer interface in field effect transistors studied by Kelvin probe force microscopy, ACS Nano 7, 82588265 (2013).
- Yingjie Zhang, Ruoyang Zhang, Qingru Wang, Zhishuai Zhang, Haibo Zhu, Jiadong Liu, Feng Song, Shanxin Lin, Edwin Yue Bun Pun, Fluorescence enhancement of quantum emitters with different energy systems near a single spherical metal nanoparticle, Optics Express 18, 43164328 (2010).
- Yingjie Zhang, Ruoyang Zhang, Zhishuai Zhang, Haibo Zhu, Feng Song, Surface polariton generation and fluorescence enhancement using a superlens, Journal of the Optical Society of America B 26, 23372341 (2009).
- Ye Xu, Bin Wu, Yingjie Zhang, Zelong Liu, Haokai Sun, Danning Di, Discrimination between neutrino events and backgrounds using pulse shape information in reactor neutrino experiments, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A 610, 590596 (2009).
- Beckman Fellow, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2015-2018)
- Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad (2015)
- Graduate Student Silver Award, Materials Research Society (2015)
- Dorothy M. and Earl S. Hoffman Scholarship, American Vacuum Society (2014)
- Best Poster Award, MRS Spring Meeting & Exhibit (2014)
- Anselmo Macchi Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley (2014)