2014 Hall of Fame
The Engineering at Illinois Hall of Fame recognizes Illinois engineering alumni, and others affiliated with the College, who have significant achievements in leadership, entrepreneurship, and innovation of great impact to society. Each year the college will honor these remarkable accomplishments by inducting a class of honorees into the Engineering at Illinois Hall of Fame.
2014 Hall of Fame Inductees
- 1961 BA University of Iowa
- 1963 MS Physics ILLINOIS
- 1967 PhD Physics ILLINOIS
Inventor of the first yellow light emitting diode (LED) and pioneer in the development and commercialization of LED materials
- 1964 BS Engineering Physics ILLINOIS
- 1966 MS Physics ILLINOIS
- 1969 PhD Physics ILLINOIS
Global business and technology visionary who oversaw world-leading engineering breakthroughs at General Electric in areas as diverse as medical imaging, jet propulsion and advanced lighting, and whose research contributed to the advancement of computer tomography X-ray systems.
- 1940 BS Civil Engineering ILLINOIS
- 1942 MS Civil Engineering ILLINOIS
- 2005 Honorary Degree, ILLINOIS
- PhD Technical Sciences from ETH (Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule, Zurich, Switzerland)
World-renowned aeronautical scientist who championed the Lunar Orbit Rendezvous (LOR) and the Lunar Module (LEM) concepts used in NASA’s manned moon landing program
- 1997 BS Computer Science ILLINOIS
Technology Entrepreneur, angel investor, and cryptographer; Cofounder of PayPal, creator of online security and fraud-prevention systems; Founder and CEO of Slide; Founder and CEO of Hard Valuable Fun (HVF) incubator lab.
- 1996 BS Computer Engineering ILLINOIS
Technology entrepreneur who co-founded PayPal and other consumer internet companies, and created “instant transfer” and the first on-line advertising network; General Partner at venture capital firm Founder’s Fund.
- 1969 BS Electrical Engineering ILLINOIS
- 1971 MS Electrical Engineering ILLINOIS
- 1975 PhD Electrical Engineering ILLINOIS
Visionary whose research contributed to the plasma display panel technology, its lower power consumption and higher contrast ratio; Business leader at Panasonic whose worldwide advocacy resulted in plasma TV commercialization; Founded Plasmaco