Giving Frequently Asked Questions

If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the College of Engineering Office of Advancement.

What is the Annual Fund?

Departmental Annual Funds support critical day-to-day operations. Gifts to the Annual Fund help to close the deficit left by declining state support and help bolster the cost of educating our students. Will my gift be tax deductible?

It may be fully or partially deductible, depending on the nature of your gift. Any goods or services involved in the exchange of gifts are declared to have fair-market value, which is not tax deductible. Contributions to the university, the College of Engineering, or individual departments, are subject to IRS Code sections 170(b)(1)(A)(ii) and 170(b)(1)(A)(v).

Can I give over a period of time?

Yes. Donors often pledge gifts to be made through a series of payments. We will work with you to establish a pledge commitment over time that suites your individual giving needs.

What kinds of assets are allowable as gifts?

We accept many types of gifts: cash, real estate, securities, art, jewelry, mineral and intellectual rights, and more.

Tell me about endowed scholarships?

Scholarships offer donors the singular opportunity to make a real difference in a student’s life. Can I choose the student that receives the scholarship that I provide?

The College has a scholarship committee in place that reviews and administers the scholarship. Donors are encouraged to meet and attend planned activities with the scholarship recipients.

What happens to my endowed gift?

The University of Illinois Foundation (UIF) handles and administers endowment funds. The UIF Board of Directors oversees the investment administration to ensure assets are preserved, managed, and invested within a professionally managed portfolio.

What are my rights as a donor?

The University of Illinois has set up a Donor Bill of Rights guaranteeing that all donors will be treated with the utmost care, confidentiality, and respect through all transactions and interactions to protect your personal and professional information.

Who should I call if I have more questions about giving to Engineering at Illinois?

Contact the Office of Advancement.

How do I get my IRS tax receipt?

Tax receipts are generally mailed to you within a week of receiving your donation.

Can a gift be designated to a specific area?

Yes, giving money to the unrestricted Annual Fund is encouraged, but donors may request their gift be given to a specific area or designation. To accomplish this, a written request, or designation on your check, should be submitted with a gift to the University. If the donation is being made online, a designation for the gift's use may be chosen from the list provided.

If you want to designate a gift for a program not noted on the list then you will need to contact UIF Gift Administration at the U of I Foundation at 217-333-0675 or

For more information on designating a contribution to Engineering at Illinois, contact the Office of Advancement.

How does private giving affect the University's overall budget?

Private funding is an invaluable tool that helps the College's programs to thrive and grow. Your gifts ensure that we can attract the best faculty and students and allows us to offer academic programs of excellence.

How can I receive or correct my gift receipt?

Please contact UIF Gift Administration at 217-333-0675 or

Where do I send my check?

Please make your check payable to the "University of Illinois Foundation/YOUR GIFT DESIGNATION" and send it to:

U of I Foundation
1305 W. Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801

What is the University of Illinois Foundation?

Gifts to University of Illinois are managed by the University of Illinois Foundation, the fundraising arm of the University. The Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation separate from the University of Illinois and is a 501(c)(3) organization.

A copy of the Foundation's current financial statement is available online or on request by calling the Foundation at 217-333-0675.