Requesting to Establish a New Program
The following criteria/process should be considered when wanting to develop a new program or enhance an existing program within the College of Engineering:
Criteria (Student to Student Exchange)
- Verify the school/location does not already exist. Active Agreement List.
- Quality and prominence of the partner school
- Is this a school we should consider being affiliated with? Like UIUC COE, we need to consider the reputation/activity of the school so we are comfortable aligning courses and students together
- Geographical distribution around the world
- How many agreements are currently in the same country, region, city? Do we need another one?
- Level of activity w/possible exchange school (grad/u-grad/faculty)
- Current faculty involvement w/school (department or admin)
- Course/research related?
- Potential interest of UIUC students. How will balances be maintained i.e., interest in UIUC students going abroad?
- Are there any existing formal relationships? Can they be joined (why/why not?) What is the difference from the existing relationship?
- Uniqueness of program. What will be offered to students to make the program stand out (to students and college)?
- Scope of proposed agreement. What engineering areas/departments will it accommodate?
- When considering an exchange, the COE typically prefers to be able to invite students from all engineering disciplines to participate. Priority or a set number of slots can be given to the specific department requesting the exchange. This allows us to better balance a program when it is exchange
- The advantage to engineering of the proposed activity.
Process to Establish an Exchange Agreement
- Submit proposal to the Director of International Programs in Engineering that includes the above information.
- After submitting the Director will respond with questions and to suggest a meeting for further discussion
- If proposal is accepted, the Director will follow-up with questionnaire regarding specific information for host site.
- Once all information is received, the Director will initiate the process to establish the MOU
- A draft of the MOU will be distributed to IPENG, faculty and requested partner to verify content
- Once approved a final MOU (with any suggested changes/updates) will be sent to host institution for signature
- IPENG to set up program application in the application system