International Engineering Scholarship
Awards for Prospective/Admitted Engineering Students* to Encourage Study Abroad
Engineering students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are strongly encouraged to gain international awareness and experiences. Many students see their study abroad experience as a pivotal, formative event in their education. The purpose of this scholarship program is to encourage students to begin planning early and to provide financial incentives to study abroad. To date, over 2,000 students have received this scholarship!
Each winner will receive:
- A one-time $2,000 for a semester or year of study abroad – equivalent to 14-16 week semester during the study abroad semester. Summers not included!
- Priority Status for program participation in programs offered through the College of Engineering, if meeting eligibility requirements.
Save Money by Studying Abroad
Study abroad participants typically pay a reduced tuition which is currently about $1420/semester instead of the on-campus rate of about $8,520 for residents and $15,833 for nonresidents per semester. The total value of the scholarship with regards to tuition may be up to $7,100 for residents and $14,413 for nonresidents per semester of study abroad. You can actually save money by studying abroad. Students who have studied abroad confirm that the academic, personal, and life experiences are even more valuable than the financial incentives. Note: Based on posted tuition rates for Fall 2014.
A variety of study abroad scholarships are also offered to interested students wanting to study abroad. Information on these scholarships are available at www.studyabroad.illinois.edu.
Study Abroad Opportunities
Students may study abroad anytime after completion of the freshman year. We have arrangements with institutions around the world. Here are some of the countries where you might study abroad:
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
A comprehensive listing of programs offered by the College of Engineering is available at the International Programs in Engineering website at http://www.engineering.illinois.edu/studyabroad. For more information on these and additional programs, check out the campus comprehensive site at www.studyabroad.illinois.edu.
If we do not have an institutional agreement where you want to go, we will explore other ways to get you there. Our goal is to provide extensive study abroad opportunities, so you will gain meaningful experiences and global awareness.
Application and Selection Criteria
- Application and personal statements can only be submitted on line. Students accepted to the University of Illinois will receive an invitation to apply.
- Students must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Scholarship is NOT available once the student starts classes at UIUC
* Students admitted into the College of Engineering or Chemical Engineering
** Some countries may offer special courses taught in the English language