Accepted Students

Incoming Accepted Students

Arrival You should plan to arrive no later than the Wednesday before classes begin. Upon arrival, you should check in with International Student and Scholar Services Office and the International Programs in Engineering Office.
Engineering Orientation There is a mandatory orientation for all exchange students during the week before classes begin. Date, time and location will be provided to you via email. It is critical that you attend this orientation in order to have a successful start to your exchange program.
Additional Orientations

International Student and Scholar Services provides orientations on a number of different topics (banking, healthcare services, student insurance). These orientations are not mandatory- you can pick and choose which sessions to attend.

There is also a mandatory Student Life Orientation one week after the engineering orientation.

Admission Documents

Upon acceptance to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, we will mail your admission documents directly to your home institution. This will include your Notice of Admission and Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (DS-2019).

The “Term/Year” on your Notice of Admission (NOA) indicates the term your exchange program begins. If you applied for the academic year, your NOA will only indicate the Fall term.

Non-Degree, Undergraduate Student Status All engineering exchange students are coded in the UIUC system as a non-degree, undergraduate student no matter what level you are at your home university.
Visa Information

All international students are required to obtain a visa before entering the United States. You need your Notice of Admissions and DS-2019 to apply for a J1 visa for the duration of your stay.

Before applying for your J1 visa, you need to pay the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) fee. Instructions for making payment are available at

Once you have paid the SEVIS fee, you will need to apply for your visa and schedule an appointment at the nearest designated U.S. consulate or embassy. For more information on applying for a visa, please consult the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor page. International Student and Scholar Services will be your resource for all visa related matters. Please note that you have to maintain full-time student status at UIUC to maintain your visa status. (12 credit hours per semester)

For your visa application, please provide the following contact information under the required fields:
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
International Student and Scholar Services

Your address in the USA will be:
400 Turner Student Services Building
610 E. John Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Immunization History Form You must complete the Immunization History Form prior to your arrival on campus. Please read the instructions before completing the History Form. You will need your home doctor to sign the History Form, so you need to complete it before you leave your home country. If you are unable to submit the completed form prior to your arrival, you can submit it to McKinley Health Center when you arrive on campus. If you have not had all of the required immunizations, you can get any immunizations you need at McKinley Health Center. The fee for the immunization will be charged to your student account.
NetID Your NetID is a name assigned to you that is unique across all University of Illinois campuses. It serves as your login to many University computing and networking services and also determines your University email address, which is For additional information and to claim your NetID, click here
University of Illinois Email University of Illinois undergraduate students set up an email account using Google Apps @ Illinois. You can find instruction on how to set up your new email here.
It is important that you set up and regularly check your University of Illinois email account. A lot of useful and essential information will be sent out to students at their University of Illinois email address.
Course Registration and Course Load  For a complete view of what courses are offered, you should use the  Class Schedule. Please remember that engineering exchange students cannot register in courses offered by the College of Business (no exceptions). Also, we cannot guarantee enrollment in any specific course, even if you need the course to complete the requirements of your home university. It is extremely important for exchange students to be as flexible as possible in their course selection.
As an exchange student, you are required to maintain full-time student status (12 UIUC credit hours). The maximum number of credit hours you can take is 18 UIUC credit hours. If you need to take more than 18 credit hours, you can request permission for a course overload when you arrive to campus.
Research Projects We cannot set up or guarantee exchange students will be able to participate in research projects during their exchange. Exchange students who want to participate in a project should connect with the department/faculty during the first weeks of class to see if there is the possibility of working on a project.
We cannot accommodate exchange students who are REQUIRED to do a project as part of their exchange program.
Restricted Classes If you receive an error message indicating the course you are trying to register for is restricted (major restriction, pre-requisite restriction), you have to wait until you arrive on campus to request permission from the department to register for the course.
Closed Class  This indicates there is no space in the course. You will have to continue to monitor the registration system to see if space becomes available. We will discuss possible options for getting into closed courses during the mandatory orientation.
Housing Information University Residence Hall 
Private Certified Housing
Off-Campus Housing – The University of Illinois Tenant Union is an excellent resource for students looking for off-campus housing.
Temporary Housing  You will need to arrive on campus before you can move into your University Housing, there are several options available for temporary housing.
Student Health Insurance All exchange students are automatically enrolled in the University of Illinois student health insurance. The fee for student health insurance will be charged to your student account. For more information, visit the Office of Student Health Insurance. You can also find detailed information on how to Opt Out of the student health insurance.
Student Fees  All exchange students receive a full tuition waiver and partial fee waivers, but some fees cannot be waived and you are required to pay those fees. Click here for a list of mandatory fees. This will be explained in detail during the mandatory orientation.
Academic Expectations The ISSS Academics Guide provides an overview of the U.S. Academic System as well as What to Expect in the Classroom and other useful information for international students.