Marketing & Communications
As one of the world's top ranked engineering programs, it is important to consistently reinforce our message of excellence within our materials. We encourage all engineering departments, centers, and units to develop messaging in the spirit of the College's positioning statment, using the following proof points as a reference.
We educate great students in great numbers.
- Our entering freshmen have an average ACT above 32.
- We're among the 5 largest engineering programs in the country.
- We are in the Top 5 among engineering students who are most prepared when they enter the workforce.
- We're home to 15 Top 5 programs.
Our faculty members are accomplished and ambitious.
- We're #4 in the country for the amount of research funding we've awarded every year.
- We disclosed more than 100 inventions and filed more than 120 U.S. patents in 2014.
We're pioneers in innovations that matter to people.
- Our alumni are at the very heart of the digital revolution.
- We're changing the landscape of healthcare, partnering with other university units and Carle Health System on the nation's first engineering-based College of Medicine.
- We're the technical visionaries behind a $320 million initiative to reduce the time and cost of manufacturing using cutting-edge digital technologies.
We're constantly enhancing our engineering students' educations and sharing those innovations with the world.
- Our IEFX program introduces every first year student to the power of interdisciplinary thinking, and it helps them hone their passions and aspirations into a fulfulling, high-impact undergraduate career.
- We've increased the number of women entering our undergraduate engineering program by more than 25 percent in the last two years.
- We're currently launching the Innovation, Leadership & Engineering Entrepreneurship (ILEE) program, expanding offerings in these areas, and integrating them into every student's experience.
- Programs like our MEng degrees, online degrees, and MOOCs redefine the way a new and expanding community of engineers are educated.
College Facts: By the Numbers
- 1.3 million square feet of campus buildings
- 92,000 square-foot engineering library
- 12 departments
- 8 multidisciplinary labs
- 60+ laboratories, research centers, and institutes
- $230 million in research expenditures (2014)
- 2,000 research projects currently underway
- 32 average ACT score of incoming freshmen
- 65 student engineering societies
- 80,000 alumni around the world